Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom III BFG Edition

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

No offline multiplayer (which was even included in the old Xbox port - system link 2-per-box) so they won't be getting my money. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Got this two days ago. I loved the original Doom and Doom 2. I had a go of them all and one thing that strikes me straight away is how bad the guns are in Doom 3, they seem a little bland, lacking any punch or feel. In older Doom games, all the weapons were great.

Doom 3 is very different though, graphics and sound aren't too bad, maybe the game play is a little stale and repetitive but I'm only 25% through it so will see how it goes. Decent over all I think but cant touch the originals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Got about 2 thirds through it and got fed up so much with it that have deleted it off the hard drive,just felt like a chore to play.Too many games I want to play at the moment but felt had to keep playing it just to complete it.
    Its not a bad game but just not my cup of tea at all.Think modern shooters have you spoiled with stuff like radar and maps.Playing Doom 3 and getting lost in spots with little idea where I had to go, just made me rage too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Very much the same as above. Completing Doom 3 and its DLC was a test of patience after a while. The sections of the game felt like the same old thing, with increasingly stronger and more enemies as you progress.
    At the same time i needed to finish for a sense of completion, i suppose you could call it.
    One thing i'll give the game credit for is that you need to stay vigilant. The lighting effects are such that rooms can go pitch dark, or will have dark corners that needed to be checked. Enemies can come from behind, above or under you without warning. Its good in the sense that you need to stay alert.

Played through it all once. Including Doom 1&2. Traded it in with no desire to return to it. Decent buy overall and you'll probably pick it up for less than €20 pre-owned before long

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Yeah I think the weapons in Doom 3 are dissapointting. The lack the sense of punch the orginals had.

People accuse Doom 3 of being repetitive and I agree but they seem to let the same thing slide when it comes to Doom 1 and 2. I mean granted at the time they where really good and it was a fresh genre but can you let the same things slide nowadays?

I don't really understand how people can get lost in Doom 3 either. Its pretty much a 1 way corridor.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Azza wrote: »
    People accuse Doom 3 of being repetitive and I agree but they seem to let the same thing slide when it comes to Doom 1 and 2. I mean granted at the time they where really good and it was a fresh genre but can you let the same things slide nowadays?

Doom 1 and 2 are very different games. The sheer number of enemies the game can throw on screen means that it never gets stale. Different groups of enemies with act differently depending on what the group consists of and the infighting makes the fights more dynamic and emergent. Fights could be approached in multiple ways. Couple that with some amazing level design that further differentiated each encounter and you have a game that never got old despite consisting of 32 long levels each.

There's no other games out there like the original doom games, even pretenders to the crown like painkiller and serious sam just lock you in an arena and spawn enemies at you with even weaker AI than the original Doom and none of the infighting.

Doom 3 on the other hand you are always fighting the same enemy over and over again in small corridors, occasionally fighting more than one. Every fight is nearly a carbon copy of the last encounter and it's why it gets stale fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Stick on Doom 1's OST(rock version) and the game is instantly much better

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

Bought this when it came out and I am only now getting around to playing it. Almost 9 hours into Doom 3 and enjoying it. It wets the appetite for the impending arrival of doom 4 in June. I still think doom 1,2 and final doom are better than 3 though.

da gamer wrote: »
    Bought this when it came out and I am only now getting around to playing it. Almost 9 hours into Doom 3 and enjoying it. It wets the appetite for the impending arrival of doom 4 in June. I still think doom 1,2 and final doom are better than 3 though.

I still have my copy and have been playing away on x360 again. Also installed it on my X1 as it's now backwards compatible. Will test it later this week and report back.

Runs flawlessly on X1 Emulation, no issues and frame rate is as it was on x360 from what I can see

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭DublinBust

Stick on Doom 1's OST(rock version) and the game is instantly much better

Nah, there's a mood in Doom 3. Maybe during the hell levels.

Advertisement