Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good restaurant in Galway city

Options
  • 22-10-2012 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭

Looking for a nice restaurant for a family dinner over the BH weekend. Somewhere in the City Centre or else towards the east side of the city

Not too too expensive if possible!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

neemish wrote: »
    Looking for a nice restaurant for a family dinner over the BH weekend. Somewhere in the City Centre or else towards the east side of the city

Not too too expensive if possible!

Creole, Aniar, Kirbys, Fat Freddie's for something relaxed, KC Blakes, El Foletta, Martines. Basically try Quay Street or Dominic Street. Make booking too. They will all take bookings apart from Fat Freddie's. There's a gourmet burger place too on Cross St/Flood St can't think of the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

try Rouge on Dominic Street - its a french restaurant / wine bar that offers a starter (same starter for everyone, usually four different small tasters per person - each night is different) For main course you get a choice of steak, fish or vegetarian with a side dish of potatoes done various ways) all for 15 Euro per head. it has a lovely atmosphere, the food is excellent but you would need to book rapidly - they are booked out every night.

House Hotel in town - an alternative to the Quay Street restaurants which tends to be the most obvious restaurants in Galway. House Hotel is a boutique hotel - classy and may be just what you are looking for.

Kai Restaurant - very "different" foods so check menu

Anair Restauran - just won a michelin star, but their food is fore diehard foodies and if you read the menu you probably will not pick here unless you and your party are into alternative choices.

For a more casual but good food experience try the huntsman bar, across from the G Hotel - very casual pub style but very good.

Creole, Aniar, Kirbys, Fat Freddie's for something relaxed, KC Blakes, El Foletta, Martines. Basically try Quay Street or Dominic Street. Make booking too. They will all take bookings apart from Fat Freddie's. There's a gourmet burger place too on Cross St/Flood St can't think of the name.

has gourmet burger in galway closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ahh, you need to give us some idea of what you mean by "nice" - including how adventurous your diners are, and what ages the family are. And what you would consider to be "not to expensive".

Some of the places listed so far are great, IMHO eg Kai, Anair. But they ain't cheap, and they may not suit some families who have more limited expectations.

For some Irish families, you just can't go past McSwiggans.

While for others, Indian, Asian or Italian me be fantastic ... in which case I'd recommend Tulsi, Asian Kitchen and Venice respectively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Sorry didn't know Gourmet Burger is gone!
    I'd definately NOT recommend the House Hotel for what you are looking for. Yes, it's nice but it's pretty much 'hen central' and unless you have bunny ears and L-plates you won't fit in on a Saturday night!
    McSwiggans is nice too for what you are looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Best restaurants as voted by us last year.

Sorry didn't know Gourmet Burger is gone!
    I'd definately NOT recommend the House Hotel for what you are looking for. Yes, it's nice but it's pretty much 'hen central' and unless you have bunny ears and L-plates you won't fit in on a Saturday night!
    McSwiggans is nice too for what you are looking for.

I've never been in there with a hen.
    I would definitely not recommend mcswiggans - their food as plummeted. I would say Milano's would be the hen-central of Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I find the service great in The Dáil bar. If it's early enough it grand, and you can reserve. Reasonable menu, decent grub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Kc blakes getting a few votes from the family- any opinions??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Nice setting. Food is fine, but personally I find it a little overpriced for what you get. It is on the tourist strip though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

KC's a lovely building, it's really well decorated, can be quite loud if it's full (probably because it's a long narrow shape) but you can book a kinda private area upstairs, which is nice.

That said, you're moving onto the higher price range for the city and you could, for the price, eat in places like Ard Bia, Artisan, Kai or even aniar 9if you all agreed to get the tasing menu, it's only €40 for 4 courses or 60 with wine, but everyone at the table has to get it).

IF you were on a date and really trying to impress, KC Blakes would be a great spot, if for a family dinner, it's a bit over priced... if ya get me?

i would strongly advise you check the menus and anair and kai before you even book. Yes, the are great "buzz words" for lovely restaurants in Galway but you need to read the menu's first - not all of your party will like it. I'ts not a "regular" meal out.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 danzdan

It's amazing that trip advisors no1 restaurant hasn't even been mentioned. Just shows you not to read to much into the rating system of TA. From experience I found mcswiggans to be a little expensive, and if your meal comes with potatoes, they will not swop for fries. They charge you for them. I've heard on the grapevine that bar8 is very nice. I had a look at kc blakes menu. It does read well.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭dantbyhid

danzdan wrote: »
    It's amazing that trip advisors no1 restaurant hasn't even been mentioned.

Oscars? Consistently great. Has never disappointed me.

Just saying. It seems alot of the restaurants haven't been mentioned. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I actually thought kelehans out past dangan was a great place to go out with family. Especially if you had teenage kids with you. But sadly closed now. Lohans dinner menu is good. But it's another pub I suppose. Anyone tried brasserie on the corner yet. Supposed to be nice. I don't know if they accomadate large parties.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

It's amazing that trip advisors no1 restaurant hasn't even been mentioned. Just shows you not to read to much into the rating system of TA. From experience I found mcswiggans to be a little expensive, and if your meal comes with potatoes, they will not swop for fries. They charge you for them. I've heard on the grapevine that bar8 is very nice. I had a look at kc blakes menu. It does read well.

Bar8 is a really nice spot and it's overly expensive either.
    As for trip advisors #1, yeah Oscars is lovely but it's a bit small for a family dinner, I mean, assuming there is atleast 6 people, you'd have to book well in advance to get a table for 6 or more I'd imagine?

That said, the #2 on trip advisor, Gourmet Tart Co. out in salthill has plenty of space, lovely food and it's pretty cheap, don't know what thta hasn't been mentioned!

Also, i oscars is appealing and you are seafood lovers, O'Grady's on the pier is only a €12 taxi ride out the road in Barna and has some of the best seafood in the country, right up there with oscars imo.

I just remembered I was at a staff dinner in Kirby's a few years ago and it was actually really nice, they have a **** ton of room upstairs to fit a large group (if needed) and the price is pretty good.

Where is kirbys. I'm from Galway and never heard of it. Jasus I must get out more. Lol. I want give it a try

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Where is kirbys. I'm from Galway and never heard of it. Jasus I must get out more. Lol. I want give it a try
    Buskers

Buskers
    Thanks. Much appreciated. I'm seriously out of touch. Saving money can have serious effect on you social life. Especially in a recession. Thanks for the update.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Thanks. Much appreciated. I'm seriously out of touch. Saving money can have serious effect on you social life. Especially in a recession. Thanks for the update.

Eat at the bar rather than the restaurant. Half the price and lovely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Mike folan

If it hasn't already been suggested try the Asian tea house/lounge. Food is different but it is fantastic and a great relaxing atmosphere also. Well worth my recent visit. First time and it shall not be my last either.

Advertisement