Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The state of toilets in Galway City restaurants/cafes

Options
  • 22-10-2012 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

In the last two weeks or so I've been to 4 different places for lunch/coffee and I've visited the WC in each. Three out of the four were in an absolute state.
    I told workers in each of them and not sure if anything was done but I always judge a place I eat by the state they maintain their toilets.
    One place on Shop Street had no loo paper, the floor was soiled with you-know-what, no soap in the dispenser, hand dryer broken and toilet seat broken. I mean, is it not just basic hygiene that these things should be put right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

where exactly were they
    were they restaurants or pubs

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

Thank God I'm not the only one who judges the toilets! There is a supermarket in Oranmore and good God, the toilets were absolutely disgraceful! No seats on any of them, no paper, soaking wet floor - manky!
    Also, I have to say that no matter where I am, any time I mention dirty toilets to a staff member they don't seem to give a s**t!
    They usually pass the buck - "oh that comes under the cafe's responsibility", or "oh yeah, I told someone earlier" - nobody ever seem to be accountable for them. It make me very cross!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

In the last two weeks or so I've been to 4 different places for lunch/coffee and I've visited the WC in each. Three out of the four were in an absolute state.
    I told workers in each of them and not sure if anything was done but I always judge a place I eat by the state they maintain their toilets.
    One place on Shop Street had no loo paper, the floor was soiled with you-know-what, no soap in the dispenser, hand dryer broken and toilet seat broken. I mean, is it not just basic hygiene that these things should be put right?

the state of a restaurant's toilets is the state of their kitchen. think about that before eating there.a decent place will have a toilet with a cleaning roster where the toilets are checked once an hour.

where exactly were they
    were they restaurants or pubs

pubs should have have decent toilets as well. the days of piiissing out back against the wall are over.
    they will take your money so they have to provide some kind of service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Fishy fishy...mainly city centre. One in Salthill. Don't think I am allowed name places on here. My point is just that I don't understand how places that sell food/drink can get away with or think its okay to have manky toilets. One place I speak of is a cafe-type place that does coffee and lunches on Shop St. Another is a coffee shop in close proximity to Edward Sq. Another place where the toilets were awful was a place in Salthill.
    On the other hand I had lunch in the Salthill Hotel yesterday and their toilets were lovely and clean!
    I'm not being pernickety or anything nor am
    I looking for butler service in the toilets! I just expect a basic level of hygiene and it seems certain places in this lovely city of ours couldn't give a sh*t (no pun intended!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Perhaps you would like to contribute a column to our Knight's Atari, OP? The reviews therein of NUIG toilets are proving quite popular.

I try to avoid using bathrooms in public places, but I really like the toilets in both the Asian Lounge and the Bus Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Fuinseog wrote: »
    pubs should have have decent toilets as well. the days of piiissing out back against the wall are over.
    they will take your money so they have to provide some kind of service.

that's why I asked - I could name a couple of pubs in town that have atrocious toilets.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

i know what the op means. no one is looking for anything fancy - just the basics will do. but i will i add that some people really do not have a clue how to use the toilet. seriously, just leave it as you would like to find it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Surely the thing to do is report them to the Health and Safety people!.
    In most, if not all, cases your name is not revealed to anyone.

Health Inspectors are supposed to visit all of the places that sell food and drink on a regular basis.

that's why I asked - I could name a couple of pubs in town that have atrocious toilets.

connells there on the sqaure used have 'toliets' in a back yard in the open space. the place has not been the same since they introduced a ladies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Neachtains at the top of quay street is an absolute disgrace.. . the place is always busy. . spend a few euro and clean it up a little.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Health and Safety office for Galway is in Odeon House, Eyre Sq.
    The LoCall number is <available on this page>.

REPORT THEM. They'll never change otherwise.

That's the only way to get the people who run these places to realise that we are in the 21st not the 18th century.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I have to say and maybe it's not a fair comparison but having lived away for the best part of a year now. Ireland has exceptionally disgusting public toilets. Tourists that go to our pubs and clubs must think we're animals

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

The only public toilets in Galway city centre are in Eyre Square. There are no public facilities in the so called Latin Quarter tourist trap. This is not an excuse for dirty toilets in restaurants or bars. The only other public toilets are in the Millenium Park and in two locations at Salthill.

There is huge need for public open air urinals like there are in many cities around Europe http://www.digdang.com/image/public_urinals/4854/

Unbelievably, there are NO PUBLIC TOILETS in Dublin city centre, according to Newstalk last week. Zilch.
    If you need to piddle in the vicinity of O'Connell Street/Henry Street/ Grafton Street/ St Stephen's Green, you will have to go to a shopping centre, a pub or McDonald's.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Paddyfield wrote: »
    There is huge need for public open air urinals like there are in many cities around Europe http://www.digdang.com/image/public_urinals/4854/
    I would be very disappointed if those yokes arrived in Galway.
    Anyway, there are plenty of doorways and shop windows for the people of Galway to piss against.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

They had those thingys in the Fisheries Field for the Arts Festival. Very handy and quick.

Neachtains at the top of quay street is an absolute disgrace.. . the place is always busy. . spend a few euro and clean it up a little.....

its one of those jacks where you need wellies, but they seem to have addressed the issue with a rubber mat.

Ficheall wrote: »
    I would be very disappointed if those yokes arrived in Galway.
    Anyway, there are plenty of doorways and shop windows for the people of Galway to piss against.

remember the music shop in clare which was electrified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

remember the music shop in clare which was electrified.

Yeah I believe it was Kusty's in Ennis!

Even my two year old toddler knows how to pee in the toilet. Beggars belief that some adults can't do the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭hollysf

Was in Lynch's Cafe ladies toilet a few weeks ago, I saw the manager cleaning the toilet with no gloves on nor did she have any cleaner/spray with her, a waitress came in who told her she was needed in the restaurant, she then handed the manky cloth to the waitress and told her to 'take over here' Saw the manager working behind the counter when I was leaving... havent been back since

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭kevin65

hollysf wrote: »
    Was in Lynch's Cafe ladies toilet a few weeks ago, I saw the manager cleaning the toilet with no gloves on nor did she have any cleaner/spray with her, a waitress came in who told her she was needed in the restaurant, she then handed the manky cloth to the waitress and told her to 'take over here' Saw the manager working behind the counter when I was leaving... havent been back since

I wonder did the waitress proceed to clean down the tables with the same cloth when she was finished with the toilet?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

its one of those jacks where you need wellies, but they seem to have addressed the issue with a rubber mat.

In general, gents seem to be worse for wear in most places, but in Neachtains there seems to be a noticeable difference in cleanliness between ladies and gents.

It is an 'outdoor' loo though, so sometimes rain and dirt is tracked in, in fairness.

Paddyfield wrote: »

You just know some smartarse will use it as an opportunity to take a dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

You just know some smartarse will use it as an opportunity to take a dump.

Nice pun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

The worst one in Galway I think is the one in the train station.

It smells like they never get cleaned. You can pick up the sour smell as far away as the platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I have to say and maybe it's not a fair comparison but having lived away for the best part of a year now. Ireland has exceptionally disgusting public toilets. Tourists that go to our pubs and clubs must think we're animals

Last year we had some French people over on the start of a tour round Ireland .
    I armed them with a list of "must see" locations: Ring of Kerry, Skellig Michael,
    Cliffs of Moher, etc etc.
    They came back raving about the place and the people they met.

On very big question they had however, "What is it with Irish people and toilets?"

We are a dirty, disgusting sub species!
    The only thing saving us from massive outbreaks of dysentery is lack of a warm climate

Advertisement