Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swords, Takeaway, Main St?

Options
  • 22-10-2012 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭

Can someone help me out here. I'm hoping to get some info about a takeaway/chip-shop that was on Main Street in Swords (and may still be even now?).

I recall it from the late 80's. It was run by an Italian family and the one thing I remember in particular is it had a Gryzor arcade machine inside. That's probably unusual today but it was fairly common for chippers back then to have arcade machines there while you waited.

Anyway, I'm just trying to work out/confirm the exact location of it on Main St if anyone can help me. I think it was on the same side of the road as that little locksmith/shoe repair shop, but I couldn't even swear to that much.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I think you mean the Fingal Cafe? As far as I know it was the only chip shop on the main street in the 80's. There's the Roxy Diner now too but I don't think it was there then.

The Fingal Cafe looks very different now, I seem to remember that in the 80s it had a tiled exterior - it's wooden now. I think it's still run by the same family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

I think you mean the Fingal Cafe? As far as I know it was the only chip shop on the main street in the 80's. There's the Roxy Diner now too but I don't think it was there then.

The Fingal Cafe looks very different now, I seem to remember that in the 80s it had a tiled exterior - it's wooden now. I think it's still run by the same family.

Yes, that's very possible. My memory on this is hazy. It could have been a cafe rather than a typical chipper.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

The Roxy was there in the '80s too.

The Fingal was there well before the Roxy though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Kumsheen wrote: »

It might be the Roxy then, because it's not far from the shoe repair place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Hi, just to clarify, I don't necessarily mean it was near the shoeshop, just that I think it was on the same side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

As far as I know the same Italian family run both chippers . The one in the lower main street opposite Centra (Clarkes)is the original - it used to have seats and you use to wait on the street for takeaway . That's the Fingal Cafe . Its a take-away only now but still has the same name .
    In the late seventies they opened River Cafe on the site you are talking about . I know this because my dad brought me after seeing the pope in Sept '79 !!!! As you looked at the Cafe there were two distinct parts . The sit down was to the left with booths and waitress service and the takeaway was to the right . Both had separate doors . In the early nineties the whole thing was knocked into one and became the Roxy Diner and became self service . Part of the reason for this was rumours abounded of the arrival of McDonalds . Personally I think it was a big mistake . Italian chippers with waitress service are great ! We the Swords locals quickly called it the Poxy diner as was inevitable .
    About ten years ago the Diner was made much smaller and reverted to a takeaway only as part of a new building on the same spot . The building now also houses "Essence " Italian restaurant . This is the location you are talkiing about . I'd be fairly sure too its the Roxy Diner that you are refering to . Hope this helps .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Kumsheen wrote: »

The Fingal was there well before the Roxy though.
    It most certainly was not. It was a nineties job. Fingal Cafe was redone to the roxy mid nineties!

MugMugs wrote: »
    It most certainly was not. It was a nineties job. Fingal Cafe was redone to the roxy mid nineties!
    Fingal became Roxy around 94 I'd say alright - I used to fancy a waitress in the old Fingal :cool:

desbrook wrote: »
    Fingal became Roxy around 94 I'd say alright - I used to fancy a waitress in the old Fingal :cool:

You clearly weren't hungry enough when you went in there so ! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

The "River" became the "Roxy" ! The "Fingal" is still right where it was ! And still does great chips .:D

sharkman wrote: »
    The "River" became the "Roxy" ! The "Fingal" is still right where it was ! And still does great chips .:D

You're spot on actually...

sharkman wrote: »

Apologies.. was just quoting. As I said in original post Fingal just became a takeaway with Fingal Cafe becoming Fingal Takeaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

My Gandad tiled the front of The Fingal.
    As far as I know the same Italian family run both chippers .

They're run by different familys and always have been I think.

Advertisement