Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst classic rock band performances.

Options
  • 22-10-2012 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭

For a long time I have heard about the greatest gigs ever played, but that got me thinking on what are the absolute worst and why?
    I'll get the ball rolling by saying that after finally getting around to watch Led Zep at Live Aid, it must be in the top ten. Disastrous sound job and depending on what side you take, two drummers who couldn't nail the set. Add to this the sight of Page absolutely wasted with a badly tuned guitar in front of hundreds of millions and the horror is complete.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBk-iRihSUg

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

They actually refused to allow their live aid performance on that bootleg CD thingy. Cos it was brutal.

But then most of live aid was bloody christ jaysus festeringly tediously awful anyway.

I say most... not all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

The Black Crowes supporting the Stones at Wembley in 1995. They were truly awful. So awful that they gave up half way through their set and just walked off without a word. I'm guessing they were too wasted to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭RodgersLFC

For a long time I have heard about the greatest gigs ever played, but that got me thinking on what are the absolute worst and why?
    I'll get the ball rolling by saying that after finally getting around to watch Led Zep at Live Aid, it must be in the top ten. Disastrous sound job and depending on what side you take, two drummers who couldn't nail the set. Add to this the sight of Page absolutely wasted with a badly tuned guitar in front of hundreds of millions and the horror is complete.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBk-iRihSUg

It was dreadful. This post-gig interview is pretty funny though. Page was absolutely hammered, which I guess would explain his guitar being out of tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8bAq3XCZTA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭666irishguy

Would love to see that Black Crowes gig but I think back in 1995 there was nowhere near the level of filming, both amateur and pro going on at gigs. Guess you could get away with more back then and it would be forgotten about. I'd recommend watching Rodgers' link for that post Led Zep set interview. Phil Collins might have even called them **** on camera, though it's hard to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭evillive

old gregg wrote: »
    The Black Crowes supporting the Stones at Wembley in 1995. They were truly awful. So awful that they gave up half way through their set and just walked off without a word. I'm guessing they were too wasted to play.

i remember seeing them in the SFX around 95 too, the band were practically asleep for the first half of the show they were that stoned - then something clicked and they kicked off - the first half of the show was still cool though

not worst performance so much as disappointing was Thunder in the SFX back in the 90's too - it was at the very brief height of No Sweat's fifteen minutes of fame and there was a decent crowd to see them solely including myself - they played a great supporting set - Thunder just couldn't match it rattled though their songs and didnt do an encore as far as i remember

• Advertisement
Advertisement