Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone ever played a marathon of games in a series?

• 22-10-2012 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

I don't know much about video games, but does anyone know if there is a trend of playing games in a marathon session e.g. all eight Call of Duty titles in a row? If so, roughly how long would something like that take?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

I don't know much about video games, but does anyone know if there is a trend of playing games in a marathon session e.g. all eight Call of Duty titles in a row? If so, roughly how long would something like that take?

Depends really. If you were familiar with all the games and went for the fastest play through of each on the lowest difficulty you could probably do it in around 20 to 25 hours or so.

If you're planning a marathon though you should do the final fantasy series. Monies worth there, if you do it in one go I'll be well impressed!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Big Knox wrote: »
    If you're planning a marathon though you should do the final fantasy series. Monies worth there, if you do it in one go I'll be well impressed!! :p

Deep vein thrombosis would probably get ya before you got to part IV

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Rosedust84

Me :D Im currently going through the final fantasies, I'm on 7 atm and nearly completed it, just have to finish the limit breaks and Ruby Weapon..not much looking forward to 8, I was initally but theres so much stuff to collect and do in 7 it'll seem like a let down, plus I hate the weapon upgrade system..getting or at least attempting to get all the cards should be good craic though!

Cant wait to reach X :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

All Final fantasy's in one sitting?! You are willing an obsessive Korean to an early grave with that challenge!

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lisatiffany

In one sitting? nope, but I've played a few over the course of a few days. Some series I remember would be Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Tomb Raider, Metal Gear Solid. When they release the Hitman HD collection I'll play them all along with Absolution. Usually I'll do it if a 3rd or 4th game in a series is about to be released or just to get familiar with controls and story for new installments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,962 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Played Metal Gear Solid 2, 3 and 4 when the HD collection was released (still haven't gotten round to Peace Walker). Probably could have played MGS1 too but after playing 2 and 3, I didn't feel like I could go back to having no first person view so went straight into MGS4.

Like the poster above, I tend to revisit earlier games in a series if a new one is due to be released to get back the feeling for the game and story so I get all the references to the earlier games.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

When Mass Effect 2 came out I played through ME1 before it. When ME3 came out I played through ME1 and ME2 again - and then ME3.

I'm halfway through Borderlands 2 having played Borderlands 1 through again before B2 launched.

Aside from that I played through the entire Half-Life series about 3 months ago from start to finish. Took a while cos I played on hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Rosedust84

Oh In one sitting woah no way! But I havent played any other games in between the ff's..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Oh right - in one sitting? Fúck no. Too many jobs, families and girlfriends for that nonsense. By too many I mean one of each.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've done a few marathon sessions, but not in one sitting. Playing through the Mass Effect trilogy at the moment, and am going to do an Assassins Creed one after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

did the Uncharted trilogy over a few days, not in one day though that'd be mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Totally depends on the games in question. I blew through the Devil May Cry trilogy in feck all time, and the same with the Prince Of Persia- Sonds Of Time trilogy, but I was already quite familiar with each series because I'd played through them before. Then again, they were not really long games anyways. If I was to play through all the Pokémon games (one title from each generation) for example, it's going to take the best part of forever, because they are very lenghty games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

its dangerous to stay sitting for long periods of time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I certainly wouldn't try it in one sitting, but thundering through a series back to back is great fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Did the mass effect trilogy a few months ago, back to back it took me about a week and a half.

Don't judge ME! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,116 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Played Soul Reaver 1 and half of 2 in one day, finished 2 the next day and started and finished Defiance the following day. Best series of books games i've ever played through, and will happily do again, especially if they get a HD remake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Who invited Buzz Killington?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I can't marathon a series, I'd get burnt out going into the second one. I need a 6 month break between games or I won't enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Have played through all the ps1 Resident Evils on my psp and REmake on the Wii in the last couple months, on my second playthrough of 4 hd at the mo. Forgot how much I love it. Gonna go for my umpteenth playthrough off FFVII in a couple days.

Couldn't do the one sitting craic though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭lazlo

Graphic Adventures like the Broken Sword series would be more than manageable for a marathon session. I couldn't imagine taking on something like the Baldur's Gate Saga in a single sitting however. Some games are suited to such a challenge and some just aren't at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

A few years back I did a marathon run of all the mega drive sonic games while at college in one sitting (with all emeralds too)

If I remember, I started on a whim after lunch with sonic 1 got that done in about an hour and a half (getting emeralds forces you to either take some levels slow to keep 50 rings or to suicide if you lose them right before the end)

Sonic 2 despite being longer goes a lot quicker (you can get all the emeralds by the third level if you are careful. After which Super Sonic allows you to speed through some areas. Sonic 2 was just over an hour there abouts I think (I know it was after sonic 2 that I slipped out for some food and it wasnt even 5 then.

Sonic 3 & knuckles takes about 2 hours there abouts, again you can get the emeralds at about marble garden zone (zone 3) ok enough and blast through the remaining 3 levels of sonic 3 with super sonic. But you have to get another 7 and lose super sonic at the start of the & knuckles levels, and its a bit harder to find warp rings in those levels.

It was dark when I finished them but not late, around 7 or 8 at latest I think when I got done.

I wanted to do sonic spinball as well but just got frustrated with it in the third level.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I found a way to get all chaos emeralds in the first two acts of Sonic and Knuckles. You can only do it when you play with Sonic 3 locked on though since there's an extra bonus stage right at the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

That's the first time ever I've seen page 1 of a megadrive game instruction booklet posted here.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lisatiffany

Penn wrote: »
    Played Metal Gear Solid 2, 3 and 4 when the HD collection was released (still haven't gotten round to Peace Walker). Probably could have played MGS1 too but after playing 2 and 3, I didn't feel like I could go back to having no first person view so went straight into MGS4.

Like the poster above, I tend to revisit earlier games in a series if a new one is due to be released to get back the feeling for the game and story so I get all the references to the earlier games.

You really should try Peace Walker, my first impressions were "wow this sucks", an hour into it and I started to get hooked. I played it for something like two weeks and it's so different than a lot of the other games, there's so many items and weapons and some of the missions are a lot of fun. It's not an easy game either which means you get a lot out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

A-Trak wrote: »

That's the first time ever I've seen page 1 of a megadrive game instruction booklet posted here.
    Sitting with your knickers in a twist is also not recommended :-)

Advertisement