Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Atheist Billboard Slams Romney's Faith

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I would think that the overwhelming majority of Democrats are religious and support those policies. Just because the demented right-wing element of the US, represented by the Republicans, are religious and believe in medieval health policies doesn't mean that being liberal and religious is a total oxymoron.

Obama is probably a secular christian. Perhaps he's even a deist.
    There's still a fairly small number of people who aren't religious and don't believe in any deity.

The real point, as other have pointed out and citing Joe Biden not wanting to mix his religious beliefs in politics, is that Obama's religious beliefs do not appear to be adversely affecting his policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Ya joseph.
    Us wimmins are so placid and altruistic, we'd have no problem with that at all.

And nurturing. You forgot the nurturing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

jank wrote: »
    No, they were not Athiests and anyway if they were does that mean one is automatically an athiest if raised by one?
    I suppose when he was in his 20's he was "forced" to go to christian religious services as he knew one day he would be POTUS?

Ann Dunham;
    his 2006 book The Audacity of Hope Obama wrote, "I was not raised in a religious household ... My mother's own experiences ... only reinforced this inherited skepticism. Her memories of the Christians who populated her youth were not fond ones ... And yet for all her professed secularism, my mother was in many ways the most spiritually awakened person that I've ever known." "Religion for her was "just one of the many ways — and not necessarily the best way — that man attempted to control the unknowable and understand the deeper truths about our lives," Obama wrote.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ann_Dunham

Brack Obama Sr.;
    Religion: None (Atheist)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama,_Sr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

If anyone's interested in watching the debate - in spite of a couple of moderation hiccups at the beginning, it's very good - then you can do so here. To be honest, three out of the four candidates I'd rather see in the White House than either Obama or Romney (not that that'll ever happen). All four of them seem more sincere and consistent in their political beliefs than either main-party candidate.

I expect that Johnson's popularity will pull more than a handful of votes away from Romney, and that's no bad thing either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,090 ✭✭✭SeanW

What exactly has Obama done that's as crazy as this?
    Obamacare - including the hiring of 16,000 new IRS agents. He's also almost doubled the U.S. National Debt since 2008 (from 'only' US$10tn to US$16tn.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

SeanW wrote: »
    Obamacare - including the hiring of 16,000 new IRS agents. He's also almost doubled the U.S. National Debt since 2008 (from 'only' US$10tn to US$16tn.
    The strange propaganda emanating from Fox News/The Tea Party notwithstanding, most of the increase in the USA's debt in the last ten years have little to do with Obama, and much to do with the unfettered idiocy of the moron who preceded him in the White House.

The main contributors to the massive increase in debt are the direct costs of the recession which Bush helped cause (3.5Tn, lower tax take, higher social protection costs), Bush's tax cuts (1.5Tn), Bush's two wars (1.4Tn), massively increased defense spending (1.5Tn much of that due to Republican/Tea Party intransigence within Congress), increased interest payments on the above (1.4Tn), and 0.9Tn on stimulus measures (most of which, it's fair to say, were probably Obama's idea).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_public_debt#Change_in_debt_position_since_2001

Advertisement