Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHL Atmosphere

Options
  • 22-10-2012 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

I haven't been for a while but I've heard from a number of people that it's totally gone to $hit over the last year or so.

WHL used to be one of the loudest grounds in the league

Are we getting too many "entertain me" fans or have the singing hardcore been priced out of the market, or is this just the way football is going ?

What do you think ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Yeah I was surprised on Saturday, the atmosphere was particularly quiet in the first half. At one point the Chelsea fans were singing something along the lines of "it's so quiet, round the Lane". In saying that, I'm guessing the cagey start and the early kick off didn't help?

Villa game (3pm kickoff) was decent considering it wasn't much of a contest.

Considering the team have failed to fire on all cylinders for 90mins it could be a case of displeasure amongst the fans, particularly the ST's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Early ko's have always been bad for atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

I hadn't been for a few months before Sat, and I thought our lot were very quiet ( I was in PL Lower), bar the 15 mins after half time. Maybe it was the early kick off, followed by our crap start to the game, but the buzz never got going. Even before the game in the B&H, i tried to get a couple of songs going and it didn't seem the same. When it did get going after half time, it was magic, but died once they got to 2-2.

In saying that, they had plenty to sing about, just stuffed us 5-1 at Wembley, won the FA Cup, and then Europes biggest competition, and are currently sitting pretty at the top of the league, I went home thinking to myself will that ever be us in my lifetime :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Too many people subscribe to the theory that they pay their money, it is up to the players to impress them then they (as fans) will show their appreciation.

It is a theory that people also use to justify booing our own players, or abusing them from the stands.

I don't care how much you are paying for a ticket, real fans get behind their players through thick and thin.

That said, PL clubs are in danger of throwing the baby out with the bath water when they try to eradicate anti-social behaviour from grounds, be that standing/singing/swearing/drinking or whatever. That crusade has played it's part in dampening atmospheres across the UK IMHO.

I don't care how much you are paying for a ticket, real fans get behind their players through thick and thin.

Superbly put.

Ronan,was it just me or was it a little quiet on Sat ?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Superbly put.

Ronan,was it just me or was it a little quiet on Sat ?

John it was shocking, and has been for at least a year now.

I wonder is it partly because we finally got ourselves to the CL and became so cynical of the ordinary role of a supporter, I remember Seville in the UEFA Cup being an amazing experience home and away, now we struggle to get 30k to a home game in the Europa and people buy tickets to the away games but don't go just to bump up their Loyalty Points.

We took nearly 10k to Leverkusen all those years ago, we won't have managed that from the three away games in Europe this year.

I hate to sound like an old bastard moaning t'were better in my day, but I miss that buzz :(

I hate to sound like an old bastard moaning t'were better in my day, but I miss that buzz :(

Far from a moaner, more like someone who cares....

As you have said, the numbers we took to European away grounds was savage not long ago, how things have changed. Has the type of person entering WHL changed ? Is it the fans attitude that has changed ? Because something has changed..

This was Chelsea at home, the place should have been jumping. I love going to games, and try to be as vocal in support as possible, but when I launched in to a couple of chants at the weekend, I felt out of place and got some funny looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Here is my take on it. I believe expectation levels have risen thus creating a poorer atmosphere, I mean we now expect good football and CL every season and if we don't get it we moan. I personally know my expectation levels have increased thus causing me to be overly critical of the team. I agree with Ronan that I miss the older days and the cracking atmosphere at the lane, it was the one thing that made us stand out from the rest. We as fans now want to see the players entertain us before we sing rather than us sing to help them perform to entertain us, we need to get back to getting behind the team.

Unfortunately I believe it is in a way a price of success if you take the like of Arsenal and United as examples, more success means poorer atmosphere!

KingdomYid wrote: »

Unfortunately I believe it is in a way a price of success if you take the like of Arsenal and United as examples, more success means poorer atmosphere!

You could be right, yet we have had fcuk all success when you think about it, that's the thing I can't get my head around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Too many people subscribe to the theory that they pay their money, it is up to the players to impress them then they (as fans) will show their appreciation.

It is a theory that people also use to justify booing our own players, or abusing them from the stands.

That said, PL clubs are in danger of throwing the baby out with the bath water when they try to eradicate anti-social behaviour from grounds, be that standing/singing/swearing/drinking or whatever. That crusade has played it's part in dampening atmospheres across the UK IMHO.

I think you've got it spot on there mate

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

There are certain areas that this should be strongly enforced west stand family area for example.

I think our slow starts and fan apprehension about sacking Harry for AVB have contributed to it this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Here is my take on it. I believe expectation levels have risen thus creating a poorer atmosphere, I mean we now expect good football and CL every season and if we don't get it we moan. I personally know my expectation levels have increased thus causing me to be overly critical of the team. I agree with Ronan that I miss the older days and the cracking atmosphere at the lane, it was the one thing that made us stand out from the rest. We as fans now want to see the players entertain us before we sing rather than us sing to help them perform to entertain us, we need to get back to getting behind the team.

kingdom - i dont agree with how you say that the cracking atmosphere at the lane was the one thing that made us stand out from the rest. What about st james park ? The atmosphere up there was always one of the best if not the best in the uk.

Exhibit A!

Shocking fans today, took 26mins for the first chorus of COYS..

Fair enough we played poor but the fans were worse, the match commentator suggested most fans had showed up expecting a win and to be entertained.

Booing is for mugs!

Shocking fans today, took 26mins for the first chorus of COYS..

Fair enough we played poor but the fans were worse, the match commentator suggested most fans had showed up expecting a win and to be entertained.

Booing is for mugs!

Fully agree, it's times like this when we should be most vocal, not being so negative.

Fully agree, it's times like this when we should be most vocal, not being so negative.

I don't agree with booing but the people that do it clearly give a fcuk about the club.

It's negitive I agree but it is passionate nevertheless.

Sitting there in silence just taking it on the chin is difficult to do, especially when you consider the amount of money it costs to get in these days.

Bad result today, But the season is not finish lol !all we need is to hear U! SUPPORT US IN GAME LOL

Even in the bad game we to hear from u! Coze in football they is GOOD TIME AND BAD TIME!!! Is the football!

So dont support us! Com wotch and go bk at home...WHL is not a CINEMA! Fans com to support in BAd or GOOD moment (TRUE FANS)

It can help man... Lol to remind to us as u r behind US! And for the other team to remnind them as they R at WHL!!! Lol

Yes he is cool and cleaver he just need time... (The manager).

Sitting there in silence just taking it on the chin is difficult to do, especially when you consider the amount of money it costs to get in these days.

I hear ya but for the first twenty minutes we had 62% possession and the crowd was completely flat

As Benny says, let the other team know they're at WHL, its not a cinema.

• Advertisement

I hear ya but for the first twenty minutes we had 62% possession and the crowd was completely flat

As Benny says, let the other team know they're at WHL, its not a cinema.

I agree, but the whole idea of WHL rocking for a run of the mill league game seems to be gone. It seems to be the same everywhere, was an Newcastle in Aug and you cold hear a pin drop in the place, only got going (briefy) when they scored.

Thers's probabaly a mixture of reasons but it's definately changed everywhere
    I think the attitude of the average fan has changed

Thers's probabaly a mixture of reasons but it's definately changed everywhere. I think the attitude of the average fan has changed

Could it be a post-Olympic fallout? I was over in London a month ago and kept being asked how I viewed football since the Olympics, diving and cheating being the main talking point.. Could be something in it?

Found this online too:
    http://demo.cultureofinsight.com/flash/aurora_cofi_olympics_research.swf

A trip to White Hart Lane is fast becoming a toxic experience. You’ll find more atmosphere in a Virgin Train’s quiet zone or during nap time at the local nursery. The only time fans raise from their slumber is the now traditional half-time boo or end of match catcall. A sense of entitlement is palpable in the air. There are plenty of reasons to be against this interpretation of ‘Modern Tottenham’.

Tensions are threatening to boil over amongst supporters with differing views, arguments and petty spats are now commonplace between the perceived ‘nouveau fan’ and those with a greater tolerance (or perhaps experience) of crap results, but one glance at the Premier League table shows Spurs lounging in…fifth. The season isn’t over (if you go by the league table) and many of the club’s best players are stretched out on Ledley’s old treatment table hoping for a surprise invite to Daniel Levy’s luxury pool.

Yet few can deny that Haringey Council’s highest capacity library is a cause for concern. Not so long ago, White Hart Lane was rocking during home matches. It was a source of pride, especially given the dinner party style experience at Highbury and the Emirates, that the passions of our home crowd could carry a mediocre team to better things. A pure, unrequited love for Tottenham, its traditions and history burned bright within us and warmed our wounded souls.

We were relative beggars, enjoying slim pickings and savouring the rare football morsels thrown our way. A taste of success has warped perceptions. The home seats are now awash with unrealistic expectation and a dash of delusion, too many in attendance expect a feast when anyone who has supported Spurs for more than a month should know this particular menu is predictably unpredictable. **** invariably does happen.

Booing your team with the game still hanging in the balance makes little sense to me. If only similar energy had been expended ‘supporting’ the team against Wigan on Saturday. Over 35,000 Spurs fans belting out rousing Tottenham anthems might have inspired the team to something special or at least made that experience more memorable for those unfortunates in attendance. A different, more negative approach sends everyone home unhappy. Very few people in life respond well to biting criticism, footballers are no different. If everyone at work labels you a twat tomorrow then you will probably understand the feelings of the Tottenham scapegoat du jour. Apparently, the Wigan defeat was either Friedel, Walker, Gallas, Huddlestone, Sigurdsson, Dempsey or Defoe’s fault.

On the flipside, there is little value in being a ‘happy clapper’. There are several perplexing issues ongoing at Spurs. As much as I like and support Andre Villas-Boas, he appears to think tactics are a packet of small mints in a transparent plastic box. Playing a solitary striker at home, especially one who can only hold his balls up at Faces nightclub, makes precious little sense. The Tottenham way is to risk and attack, fail or succeed gloriously, and the largely turgid, conservative displays at White Hart Lane this season do not fit this ethos or sit comfortably with me. I want to be entertained not sedated. To date, AVB’s tactics remaining oddly rigid and devoid of flair. But it’s early days. Hang in there.

Tottenham are a team in transition. Frustration must give way to patience. This season is a team rebuild and, whatever your thoughts on our new manager, he has been hamstrung by injuries to key personnel (Mousa Dembele’s fitness is now, almost farcically, linked to our fortunes) and chairman Levy’s shrewd/tight-arsed transfer policy (delete as applicable) makes every transfer window feel like a 45 second shopping spree at Iceland. Just grab the nearest Sigurdsson!

In the interim, cast aside your grievances and back the team. We are all Spurs fans after all. True support can make an unbelievable difference. Turn the clocks back to ‘Old Tottenham’. It’s a far better place to be.

http://lustdoctor.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/against-modern-tottenham.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Me boll0x.
    The fans pay the players AND the managers wages. If they are not happy then they are entitled to let them know. If it wasnt for the fans voicing their opinion we'd still have Ramos in charge. Spurs fans cheered along and backed Gerry Francis for months, when in reality he should have been long gone and ultimetly that set us back years.

I dont agree with jeering individual players or sarcastically clapping a player out of sorts like what has gone on at other clubs in recent seasons but I think the fans at WHL this season are frustrated with the managers performances and probably the chairmans too and dont blame the players.

Well he's a season ticket holder, I'm not, just shared the article to offer some perspective from the point of view of someone who attends week in week out.

We had 62% possession yesterday and the crowd hadn't sung once, but they were quick to boo at half time. Liverpool were 1-0 down at half time today and you didn't hear the Anfield faithful booing, they're on relegation form too...
    A641LVsCMAAX4UJ.jpg

I don't agree with booing but the people that do it clearly give a fcuk about the club.

It's negitive I agree but it is passionate nevertheless.

I'm sorry but passionate me ballacks. Nobody said sit in silence, cheer on the team and make some noise, it'll keep you warm at least ;)

Me boll0x.
    The fans pay the players AND the managers wages. If they are not happy then they are entitled to let them know. I dont agree with jeering individual players or sarcastically clapping a player out of sorts like what has gone on at other clubs in recent seasons but I think the fans at WHL this season are frustrated with the managers performances and probably the chairmans too and dont blame the players.

So what is it ? They are entitled to boo, ok that's your opinion mate, but surely it has a negative impact on the team no ? If the fans don't blame the players like you say, then aim the derogatory chants at Levy, and don't boo the fcuking team off when we are 0-0 at home to Wigan at half time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Bill Nic would be ashamned of the Boo Boys?

Bill Nic would be ashamed of our patethic performances more like.

I wasnt at WHL obviously but if the crowd boo's at half time/full time that doesnt automatically mean they are booing the players.

I wasnt at WHL obviously but if the crowd boo's at half time/full time that doesnt automatically mean they are booing the players.

I'd hazard a guess it's unlikely to inspire them?

• Advertisement

I'm sorry but passionate me ballacks. Nobody said sit in silence, cheer on the team and make some noise, it'll keep you warm at least ;)

I've never booed before but I acknowledge that those that do are showing some passion for the club even though it's negitave,

Also booing is product feedback from the "customers" and the club have made it perfectly clear over the years that they want "customers" more than they want "supporters"

I used to revel in the songs and cheering but I have to admit that the older I get the harder it is for me to jump up an cheer a load of overpaid muppets, espically when they don't look like they give a fcuk.

Advertisement