Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Item went missing from dry cleaners

Options
  • 22-10-2012 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi i sent in 3 items of clothes for cleaning to a dry cleaners i have regularly used, two items came back and the other is missing. The cleaners cant seem to understand where it has gone. Eventually the owner contacted me to appologise and offer compensation i said the Item cost 200 stg and i had only worn it twice she seemed really shocked - I asked her why was she so shocked its a dry cleaners shouldnt they be used to expensive items? She told me she would have to go back to her staff, she seemed resitant to offering me compensation when she found out how expnsive the item was. I am entitled to a refund surely? its not acceptable to bring cloothes in an not have them returned. Has this happened to anyone else??? advice would be welcome

thanks
    A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

if you can prove this was the cost of the item they have no recourse - it was more than likely given to another customer in error.*

if they are not forthcoming you may have to lodge a claim in the small claims court - which will cost about €20ish ... and will have to go before the court to explain your side of events to the judge (all fairly straight forward) - so you will more than likely have to take a few hours or a day off work (include this in your claim for compensation on top of the claim for the missing item)

*= purely speculation and a guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Try to find the receipt of the item. Or a credit card statement if you used a credit card to buy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Be aware they may have a sign up limiting their loss or ot may be on the receipt check. If there is post here again - there are some complicated rules (mainly in your favour).

The local Dry Cleaners here lost a suit of mine and replaced it. Despite the unbelievably rude* woman and grotty look of the place they gained a customer for life that day.

*Actually amusingly rude. My wife won't go in there but I just go in and laugh if she gets too much.

Advertisement