Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photographing Children - Joe Duffy Show

Options
  • 22-10-2012 2:40pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭

Anyone catch the hullabaloo on Joe Duffy at lunchtime? Apparently guy in playground in Stepehns Green with his daughter spots a tog outside the railings with his camera pushed through said railings, snapping away at the kids.
    He approaches the tog and confronts him only to be told by the tog to mind his own business, that he's an Irish citizen and can photograph who he likes as it's a public area. Refuses to show the images to the dad or to delete them. Dad approaches park ranger only to be told that there is nothing he can do about it and that the Gardai will tell him the same.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

He should have take a photo of the photographer and put it up in a public forum. There is nothing illegal about it, but it's very odd behavior.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I didn't hear it, but it will be up here tomorrow -

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/liveline/#Podcasts

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    He should have take a photo of the photographer and put it up in a public forum. There is nothing illegal about it, but it's very odd behavior.

Isn't it odd to think taking photos of kids in public is odd :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Dey tuk (pictures of) our kids!

I fail to see the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

...Dad approaches park ranger only to be told that there is nothing he can do about it and that the Gardai will tell him the same.

Its good to see that somebody was aware of the legal situation, instead of the standard knee-jerk reaction. Plus, as well as that - fúck joe duffy. Talentless 'everyman' hack.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Just as well yer man with the kid wasn't in the Bots yesterday! He would have have a field day with me in the middle of the kids :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,354 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

surely a paedo would have better luck googling pics of kids online, rather than exposing themselves to public ridicule like this?

anyway, it was extremely bad form on the part of the photographer, by refusing to move along. if you're taking pictures of someone in public, and they (or their guardian) ask you to stop, you stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Whats a tog and whats the Bots?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,354 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

tog is short for photographer, bots is probably short for the botanic gardens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

The Gardaí can take his name and check him out later for previous, but that's about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

EyeBlinks wrote: »
    Isn't it odd to think taking photos of kids in public is odd :confused:

Perhaps, what i think is odd is the fact that he got defensive and refused to show the pictures. I've photographer friends that will take pics of kids, nothing odd about it as they would ask permission off the parents and show them the photo's and offer a copy of the photo's to them. So taking the pic's in itself is not odd, but not being willing to show the photo's to people who are questioning his motive's for taking them is.

Depends on how he was asked I suppose; if he was confronted and urged to hand over the camera he'd understandably refuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

Some cracking photos of kids in public as part of Taking Stock at National Photographic Archive (NPA) in Temple Bar on at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Dey tuk (pictures of) our kids!

huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,639 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Refuses to show the images to the dad or to delete them.

think it is just BASIC manners to show subject , children (or anyone for that matter) what you have snapped -

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

thebaz wrote: »
    think it is just BASIC manners to show subject , children (or anyone for that matter) what you have snapped -

I agree 100%. He certainly didn't do himself any favours but then the guy that approached him may have been an aggressive twat and got his back up. I only heard one side of the story on Joe Duffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

thebaz wrote: »

If someone asks politely, then no problem showing them the picts. But, if someone comes at me agressively and demands to see the images, I will not.

Manners works both ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

That's my attitude too!

Took a photo of a Garda car once, and he jump out and called me all sorts, threatened to arrest me if I didn't delete it!

I was young and intimidated so deleted it!

Second time it happened things went a bit different, same attitude from a Gaurd, but I was equally as ignorant to him and walked off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Hugh_C wrote: »
    huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

I didn't hear it, but it will be up here tomorrow -

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/liveline/#Podcasts

Its up there now, just listening to it.

• Advertisement

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »
    Its up there now, just listening to it.
    Listening now... forgot how shíte this show is and how stupid the callers are...

Tallon wrote: »
    Listening now... forgot how shíte this show is and how stupid the callers are...

Soon as I heard his voice I remmebered why I stopped listening!

It doesnt sound like the photographer was trying to hide himself as he was not allowed to go in to the playground without accomponying a child, however, he didnt help himself by not showign the photos to the father.

Just sounds like a misunderstanding that got a little heated. To be honest as a father myself I cant blame the father for approaching the photographer, I would have done the same.

Were only getting one side of the story here so its dificult to make a decision on it, he could have been aggresive to the photographer which in turn got the same level of response.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Just on a legal point, parks aren't public land. They belong to the OPW and you DON'T have the right to photograph whomever you wish, although you still can't be told to show or delete shots. There are by laws in Cork and Kerry expressely forbidding cameras in playgrounds.

I would bet my camera that the Dad didn't 'walk over calmly' to discuss it.. I'd bet he went over all guns blazing and the Tog was just not arsed listening to him!

You can even here that he's worked up on the show

Tallon wrote: »
    I would bet my camera that the Dad didn't 'walk over calmly' to discuss it.. I'd bet he went over all guns blazing and the Tog was just not arsed listening to him!

You can even here that he's worked up on the show

That was exactly my thinking, also he had time to calm down before calling it in as well and he still sounded angry!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I'd be curious to know what % of parents who contribute on this forum would be content to allow a total stranger to photograph their kids through the fence outside a playground.

Having given it some consideration... I really don't think I'd be comfortable with it.

Personally I think the photographer was just asking for trouble. It's not something I'd do myself, because I'd just have more common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

same as... i don't have children myself, but if i did, i probably wouldn't be too happy. however, if a photographer asked, i'd probably not be bothered.
    people are too freaked these days over children and pictures so it's just safer to ask, or don't bother. keep your stealthy street pics to those over 18 lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Don't you need permission or a model release form before taking photos of anyone??? I think you need a model release form before uploading photos of someone to the internet.

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Don't you need permission or a model release form before taking photos of anyone??? I think you need a model release form before uploading photos of someone to the internet.

No..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

sineadw wrote: »
    Just on a legal point, parks aren't public land. They belong to the OPW and you DON'T have the right to photograph whomever you wish, although you still can't be told to show or delete shots. There are by laws in Cork and Kerry expressely forbidding cameras in playgrounds.

Obviously the Park Ranger does not know this then. Is there anywhere that the laws regarding this can be viewed or is it too complicated and there would have to be a court case to decide each and every individual scenario.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement