Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photographing Children - Joe Duffy Show

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

trooney wrote: »
    Its good to see that somebody was aware of the legal situation, instead of the standard knee-jerk reaction. Plus, as well as that - fúck joe duffy. Talentless 'everyman' hack.

Agree, he's nothing but an inciteful, sh1t-stirring loudspeaker for the hysterical, half-informed reactionary brigade with nothing better to do than complain for the sake of it, using big words in the wrong context :mad:

That said, if he didn't have one of his own children there, it does seem a bit odd. Why would you want photographs of other people's children?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

OldNotWIse wrote: »

That said, if he didn't have one of his own children there, it does seem a bit odd. Why would you want photographs of other people's children?? :confused:

That was answered on the show. It could be for a camera club or a personal scrapbook. Or maybe he wants to rub himself all over while looking at the pictures. Anything really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Why would you want photographs of other people's children??

Something I struggle to comprehend also... WTF would I want a memory card full of strange kids running around a playground for?

Post a picture of your own kid on a forum too many times and people will start to groan. You can't win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Neeson wrote: »
    That was answered on the show. It could be for a camera club or a personal scrapbook. Or maybe he wants to rub himself all over while looking at the pictures. Anything really.

I just think there are far more interesting things to photograph tbh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Something I struggle to comprehend also... WTF would I want a memory card full of strange kids running around a playground for?

You mightn't, some do. Some people like photography, others don't. People who like photography like certain types. Nothing odd about someone who likes Football and rugby while another might like Rugby and hurling.

And who said he had a memory card amount of photos. It could be a few snaps as part of a wider project.

• Advertisement

People who like photography like certain types

Landscape
    Portrait
    Street
    Sport
    Nature & Wildlife
    Strange Kids in Playground

Sorry, it just doesn't quiet fit for me.
    And who said he had a memory card amount of photos.

Nobody said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

crusher000 wrote: »
    Agree that some peoples views on photgraphing kids can be over the top but at the end of the day if it lessens the threat to kids all for it.
    Thing it, it doesn't.
    Only 3% (see here) of sexual abuse is done by strangers, while 80% is done by family or friends of the family. You would lessen the threat to kids much more, if you would forbid family and friends to take pictures of children and let strangers snap away as much as they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭thefizz

I genuinely don't see the fuss over photos being taken in a playground...

Surely if someone is an actual paedophile, they'll look for far worse images on the internet?
    And even if they're banned from taking photos, what's stopping them just staring at the kids anyways?

I honestly feel it's a huge overreaction from our overtly-PC society.

My feeling also.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭amdgilmore

I agree that it's not necessarily sinister, but you would have to be a bit of a tool to behave the way he did. Like it or not we live in a world where this hysteria exists, and if you're out taking photos of kids you are courting this sort of reaction.

Get permission first - or failing that, at least show the parents the pics on request to set their mind at ease.

I think the issue is more a question of courtesy than anything else. People who invoke their rights and entitlements as a justification for upsetting others are invariably unpleasant characters.

Get permission first - or failing that, at least show the parents the pics on request to set their mind at ease.

I think the issue is more a question of courtesy than anything else. People who invoke their rights and entitlements as a justification for upsetting others are invariably unpleasant characters.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if someone was openly taking a photo of me with a long lens, it'd make me uncomfortable and i'd ask them to stop.
    if someone was taking a photo of my (hypothetical) kid, it'd be the exact same reaction.

not that i'd think the kid was going to be any more open to abuse as a result - it's because it's rude and intimidating to continue to take shots in this scenario. no need to revert to the argument about paedophiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

OK take the kids out of the situation. If any of you were sitting in a park or public place and a guy was pointing he's camera through a fence or a bush you'd sit there and think god that's lovely I wonder where my photo will end up ? It's easy to despell ones persons fear or annoyance as over reaction or world gone pc.I'm sure the man that rang into Joe Duffy had at the time rational feelings of the situation he was in at that time.

you'd sit there and think god that's lovely I wonder where my photo will end up ?

For some strange reason my mind insists on telling me I'd be thinking = "take that camera and feck off away from me with it and leave me in peace" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Post a picture of your own kid on a forum too many times and people will start to groan. You can't win.

Agreed also.

Its creepy and if it was my kid a stranger was taking photos of, there would be a incident .

Jimmy Saville type togs should cop on a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I'm taken away by some of the people's attitudes here

I bet if we got to see the togs actual photos from the 'incident' then no one would be complaining

If the father was mature, respectful and polite about deleting or stopping taking photos, I'd have every reason to think he would have obliged!

I was only talking about this recently, I have videos of me, my brother and friends messing around in a playground when I was younger and no one batted an eyelid. And we all had cameras and we weren't 'children' at the time

People need to have more cop on and more patience when confronting people.

What the father should have done, had he been educated in the law, was walk up to the camera with his phone and video tape him! If he was a peado, I can assure you, he be bolting it down the road

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Tallon wrote: »
    I was only talking about this recently, I have videos of me, my brother and friends messing around in a playground when I was younger and no one batted an eyelid. And we all had cameras and we weren't 'children' at the time
    relevant bit highlighted - as you have phrased that, you were filming each other, not kids.

relevant bit highlighted - as you have phrased that, you were filming each other, not kids.
    We had kids with us, there were other kids there.

There are other kids in the video who I have no idea who they are! There are sections of the video that specifically filmed the kids to get their response!

So what you are saying is some people don't mind.

And what other's are saying is that some people do.

So the people that don't mind.. and the people that do.. who's wrong and who's right?

The law says certain things... and we can't argue with that.

But if a parent wants privacy, respect, transparency.. is that wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Should it not be the tog having respect for their subject matter though, and maybe asking the parent's permission first? I know legally they don't need it but to save themselves trouble and to show some respect like...

smash wrote: »
    Should it not be the tog having respect for their subject matter though, and maybe asking the parent's permission first? I know legally they don't need it but to save themselves trouble and to show some respect like...
    To ask for permission first would diminish the fact that it's street photography! The idea is to take a photo without the person realising. I.E. Their natural behaviour

• Advertisement

But if a parent wants privacy, respect, transparency.. is that wrong?

I've already answered that.

Quote my whole post, instead of editing it and you'll see that.

If someone asked me politely to delete them, I would. And I'd show them what I had been doing to put their mind at ease

If someone, however, came up to me roaring and shouting, they'd be told to Fúck off! plain and simple

I've already said that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

To ask for permission first would diminish the fact that it's street photography! The idea is to take a photo without the person realising. I.E. Their natural behaviour

Not with children and asking their parents. Sure they'll be playing anyway and will be oblivious to it but at least that parents will be ok with it.

If someone, however, came up to me roaring and shouting, they'd be told to Fúck off! plain and simple

Fighting fire with fire... always a sure fire way of reconciliation.
    I bet if we got to see the togs actual photos from the 'incident' then no one would be complaining

How much would you be prepared to bet on that?

"Here's your son on the slide"
    "And one of the see-saw"
    "On the merry go-round"
    "And here's my favourite, on the swings"

"So what you are you planning to do with them"

"Oh, put them in my scrapbook"

"Why?"

"Err.. because it's street photography and I like it"

"Ah right, art and all that, nice one, thanks"
    If the father was mature, respectful and polite about deleting or stopping taking photos, I'd have every reason to think he would have obliged!

How do you know he wasn't?

Maybe he was and the photographer was the arsehole. Face is you don't know... and therefore are making assumptions.

Maybe he sounded irritable on the radio show because the photographer wasn't mature, respectful and polite.

Personally, I don't claim to know.

I think you're assuming something that you don't know is fact.

So that's the problem.
    What the father should have done, had he been educated in the law, was walk up to the camera with his phone and video tape him! If he was a peado, I can assure you, he be bolting it down the road

So have patience, be nice and video tape them. If they run they are a paedophile. Got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

gsxr1 wrote: »

Jimmy Saville type togs should cop on a bit.

Wtf does that mean exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

I'm a big fan of street photography, although its not something that I've tried myself. But I do think that there is a line when it comes to social acceptance.

I believe that its fine to photograph random people going about their day, as long as the photographer isn't being intrusive. However kids are, should be, out of bounds. If a person wants to photograph other peoples children at play, then ask the parents. It might be embarrassing, it might be awkward, but its the right thing to do. I've been asked in the past and didn't have an issue with it.

It might clip a persons right to photograph expression, but there are, quite literally, millions of other subjects available.

Going back to the OP, I didn't hear the story on the radio and I understand that we don't have both sides of the story. But anyone sticking a camera through railings of a playpark is asking for trouble, whether they are in the right or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

non naked, children in public, with a parent/guardian being photographed by a stranger. So what? Hardly front page news.

How many images of revered photographers have you admired of children? Probably plenty!?

How many times have you seen a child that you wanted to photograph? Probably at least once!?

How many times have you NOT taken a photo of a child because of the attitude towards taking photos of children in public, even though your intent and images where innocent?
    probably at least once!?

Oh lock me up....I've done so much wrong!!!!

5449883091_5547e6cbc4_z.jpg

4226292370_5c462a7665_z.jpg

440101667_2ebbc53cea_z.jpg?zz=1

3166472122_b7e1f37dd3_z.jpg

3166480182_8960b76b12_z.jpg

3172526392_26ea13a821_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

well if you are asking to take a photo of a child, you obviously have a reason for it, in which you would discuss with the parent.
    otherwise, taking random photos of children is a weird thing to do, unless you know them, that is.
    I spend 15 minutes the other day taking a photo of a drainpipe. I don't think taking pictures of people I don't know is weird at all.

So what?

Some people prefer not to have their childeren photographed by strangers without reason or consent... that's what.

I don't see what the issue is. If you want to protect your child in certain ways that's your choice.

I let my kid drink fizzy cola and stay up late at the weekends.. others don't.. these are choices we alone as parents are entitled to make.

Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable having someone pointing a camera at me taking photos without my consent, so why would I think it's OK for my kid?

Doesn't matter how you feel, there's nothing you can do about it, and the tog is perfectly allowed to take one of you or your child

The problem arises when someone takes offence and deals with it in a childish manner...

You do realise you're on camera about 90% of the time you're outside, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭thefizz

Nice set of images Pete.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement