Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Dangers of Diet Pills

• 22-10-2012 2:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭

Shocking that anyone would take this crap, considering the amount of Nutritional and Dietary information freely available online but they seem more popular than ever. Understand the temptation of a quick fix of course.

One girl has actually had to have her colon removed as a result of buying some online:
    Public warned against online drugs after girl has colon removed.

Health professionals are warning about the dangers of buying drugs online, after a teenage girl had to have her colon removed in Beaumont Hospital.

The 18-year-old developed a life-threatening condition after just five days of taking diet pills she bought on the internet.

According to reports in the Sunday Times, the teenager was facing organ failure after she took Botanical Soft Gel, a herbal diet pill sold online.

She underwent emergency surgery and doctors said they had to remove her colon.

It is understood the girl had taken the pills because she wanted to tone up for a holiday, even though the medical team noted she had a body mass index of just 22, so was not deemed to be overweight.

The pills, which contained a banned substance in Ireland called Sibutramine, caused the blood vessels in her intestines to swell severely.

Doctors are now warning people not to purchase drugs online.
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/public-warned-against-online-drugs-after-girl-has-colon-removed-571304.html

Stay a-bloody-way from diet pills ffs folks. Try and learn more about Nutrition and how to safely lose weight through diet and exercise alone.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

Crazy that people would take these is right! Fcuks your whole body up as well as your head.Seen people go lula off these things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

As much as I don't believe in these dieting pills, she should never have bought any sort of medication online because you don't have a fecking clue what could be in them.

That's the biggest danger, not necessarily the dieting pills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

DyldeBrill wrote: »
    Crazy that people would take these is right! Fcuks your whole body up as well as your head.Seen people go lula off these things!

Are you sure thats not bath salts your thinking of?

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

People looking for the easy way out. Eat less shíte and exercise more! Still, horrifying stuff to happen to someone.

• Advertisement

For what it's worth, I just listened to this on Spin FM, and I have to say, it was the worst researched talk programs I've ever listened to.

They basically said taking Green Tea extract caused this girl to have her bowel removed, without doing any research into what was actually in the pills...

They then had people who had gone to their doctors to get perscription diet pills, who subsequently suffered side effects from the pills... Thats why they're perscription medication! Thats why you need to consult with a doctor in order to take them!!!

Most diet pills are basically caffeine tablets, so then they had people ringing in saying they were taking upto 10 caffeine tablets a day and suffering from headaches...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

1ZRed wrote: »
    As much as I don't believe in these dieting pills, she should never have bought any sort of medication online because you don't have a fecking clue what could be in them.

That's the biggest danger, not necessarily the dieting pills.

The only diet pills that work are banned from OTC sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

It is understood the girl had taken the pills because she wanted to tone up for a holiday, even though the medical team noted she had a body mass index of just 22, so was not deemed to be overweight.

A BMI of 22 and she thought she needed to lose weight :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

Thanks OP, I've been wanting to drop a dress size (from 10 to 8) as I've put on weight since I stopped smoking. I was really tempted to try diet pills coz I eat well and exercise but I can't seem to get back to size 8. I defo won't buy them online after reading that. So thanks : )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭King Of Wishful Thinking

Just reading this article:

http://tvnz.co.nz/health-news/reductil-off-shelves-after-heart-link-3339693

Then remembered reading this one:

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/gerry-tells-how-diet-tablets-have-cut-him-down-to-size-122664.html

Strange that nobody, especially the media, ever wondered if there was a connection.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

The only diet pills that work are banned from OTC sale.

Didn't know that, and tbh I wouldn't be at all well informed about them.

Regardless of wether or not you took dieting pills, a quick and easy fix never works long term without an actual change to your diet and exercise regime anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 373 ✭✭Internet Hero

i was losin weight for a fight and i tried diet pills. made me light headed and didnt like it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

So, without a colon will she find it easier or harder to get into that dress?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

: < ;

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

You should still but drugs online if you know what you're buying.

Some green tea extract pills is what she should have bought instead. Get the metabolism going.

You should still but drugs online if you know what you're buying.

Some green tea extract pills is what she should have bought instead. Get the metabolism going.

Tea time tips with Teddy Tedson. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

curlzy wrote: »
    I defo won't buy them online after reading that. So thanks : )

Don't buy them anywhere! Cutting back by one portion of chips a week actually saves you money!

But seriously, if you're a size 10 you don't need pills!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

Are you sure thats not bath salts your thinking of?

Don't get me started on those bath salts...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭fearcruach

Thanks OP, I've been wanting to drop a dress size (from 10 to 8) as I've put on weight since I stopped smoking. I was really tempted to try diet pills coz I eat well and exercise but I can't seem to get back to size 8. I defo won't buy them online after reading that. So thanks : )

As the other poster said none of them sold over the counter really work. The only ones that do work are prescription and are only for people who have a BMI of 28 or over. The side effects are awful (oily stools is the first one lifted). I had patients coming into me (I'm a pharmacist) saying that they had to wear adult nappies while taking it.

fearcruach wrote: »
    I had patients coming into me (I'm a pharmacist) saying that they had to wear adult nappies while taking it.

Holy sh..

Goodness me!

• Advertisement

If you're serious about losing weight, get on to the guys in the Health and Fitness section, start a fitness log and a food diary.
    Set real, achievable goals, measure yourself against those goals regularly.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

That's dreadful poor girl probably didn't even realise the damage they could do :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭King Of Wishful Thinking

Stheno wrote: »
    That's dreadful poor girl probably didn't even realise the damage they could do :(

Doubt many do as there blurb usually will trounce on about how "100% Natural" they are etc.

Advertisement