Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VERY OPEN 2013 PDC WORLD CHAMPS

• 22-10-2012 4:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭

I think the championships will go to somebody outside the top 6 in the rankings.
    Taylor not lasting the distance any more especially in something as long as 3 weeks at the Ally Pally. His hand seems to tremble like a rattlesnake on vital doubles now. Gary Anderson will hardly keep his head and concentration long enough to win this. Whitlock's form not consistent either, being picked off too easy these day's. Lewis has no form whatsoever at the moment but then again neither did he at this time last year and won it. Newton's not a heavy and consistent enough scorer to win a big event. The same can be said of Andy Hamilton who's already had lots of chances. Hard to know how James Wade will handle the stage again but I fear for him. Barney continues to slide.King playing well but will never put up with the crowd over 3 weeks and seems to have stamina problems too in the longer games.
    Maybe the winner could come from the resurgent MVG who threw 113 avg yesterday in Killarney and the longer the Grand Prix final went on the bettere he played. Thornton another man in form, a very cool customer.
    Chissy too getting better on the big stages. Justin Pipe improving all the time on TV.
    I think it'll be a very open Champs this Xmas.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

Well said Any Double. I agree with you that this is 1 of the most open PDC World Championship ever. Van Gerwen is playing very well at the moment and will be a lot of Punters fancy for victory. You can also throw in numerous others with a chance but I reckon that we will have a new winner of the World Championship this year,I don't think Lewis will make it 3 in a row and Taylor is showing too much Inconsistency in his game to win it I reckon.

Personally my fancy is Simon Whitlock. He has reached the final before and reached the semi last year despite carrying an ankle injury. He's form this year has been up and down but he still won a Major in the European championship. He likes the Ally Pally venue,this could be his year.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭chalkie 501

Obviously he's not the player he was but Taylor still is the man to beat, having said that i wont be backing him.
    would like to see MVG go all the way,
    Whitlocks attitude in killarney yesterday surprised me,he was getting well beaten by mcdine and he kept moaning and saying "i dont want play anymore" and other childish nonsense,he didnt sound like someone who has the fight in him when things arnt going well.
    as ye say,its the hardest one ever to call,roll on December:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Lewis is the most likely winner if hes in the same form as the last two years.

It will still take a big performance to beat Taylor.

The rest are either not good enough or badly out of form (Wade and Anderson)

Van Gerwen is a good shout if he can stay consistent, like to see him give it a good bash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

Phil Taylor – Will be there or thereabouts this year I reckon. As has been said he is the man to beat and can never be discounted. If he doesn’t win it this year or next he will never win it again imo.

Adrian Lewis – Can’t see Lewis winning three in a row. But as it’s the only tournament that he is consistent in and plays well in you can never tell.

James Wade – Would like to see Wade win if Taylor doesn’t. If he can get over his personal issues he is the most consistent player apart from Taylor. He also seems to have the ability to play rubbish in matches and still get the win.

Gary Anderson – Unfortunately can’t see Gando going anywhere this year due to a year of personal problems away from the darts. He also seems to be letting the crowds make him angry more and more lately. Would love to see him win though.

Wes Newton – Don’t like Newton at all as a player. He portrays the sulky child nearly as good as Lewis when getting beaten.

Simon Whitlock – Confidence of winning a tv major should see Whitlock go to the semis at least.

Andy Hamilton – Solid as usual I’d say from Hamilton, quarters will be the furthest he goes though.

Michael van Gerwen – All about the consistency with MVG, talent is there and confidence is high. Playing well on floor and TV so is a definite contender.

Mark Webster – Webby seems to be lost for the last year or so in the PDC, both floor and tv form seem to have left him. Being the Worlds though could make a difference to his confidence.

Terry Jenkins – Terry is a great thrower and a battler but the final hurdle seems to elude him. Could go far but won’t be the winner.

Pipe – Consistent on the floor and getting better on TV but not a contender for the world championship.

Barneveld – Will probably win first round throwing lovely darts and become his usual “Bobble head Ray” in the second or third round. Can beat anyone but will never win a major again.

King – Loves the worlds but the crowds put him off and they know it.

Chisnall – Would be a real contender if he could sort out his doubles but has plenty of time. Lack of TV confidence on said doubles don’t make him a contender yet. In the next four years if he is going to win it he will be there or thereabouts.

Painter – Don’t like Painter at all so not going to comment much on his chances. Slim to none though.

Nicholson – Seems to be a really nice guy based on his commentary in the Euro championships lately but when it comes to darts he will never be world champion unless it’s in that crappy Nintendo Wii game.

So to summarise. Taylor to win, Wade and MVG in with a shout. As the seeding goes though Taylor and MVG could be set to meet in the quarters.

(That’s all of them out early again this year :pac: )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭Any Double !

Well put together piece, won't argue with any of it.
    You didn't mention Thornton though who played very well in Killarney even though was looking exhausted after Dublin and Crondon Park. Has been very consistent last few months and capable of beating Taylor on telly.
    I've already backed MVG but we have 2 chances to see the best of them on the big stage before that. Both at the Player's Champs finals and the Grand Slam.
    Maybe Lewis will again begin to find some form at end of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

You didn't mention Thornton though

No I went for the current top 16 in the order of merit. Has a good chance depending on the draw he gets.
    wrote:
    but we have 2 chances to see the best of them on the big stage before that. Both at the Player's Champs finals and the Grand Slam.

These scheduling of these two tournaments are in my opinion are a major factor that Taylor hasn't won the World championship in the last two years.

Also the fact that they have increased the draw to 64 people and start in the second week of December now. As he is getting older I don't think he can take the schedule.

But then again I still think he has one more surge of dominance in him before he retires.

wrote:
    Maybe Lewis will again begin to find some form at end of the year.

I actually hope he doesn't win the world title again for at least a few years. While a fantastic talent he needs to mature more as a person. He is very inconsistent for a double world champion. He doesn't do it on the floor or in the other major tv tournaments. Obviously he knows how good he is and I feel that his lack of maturity is the reason why he still throws a few tantrums. e.g match against van Gerwen in the Grand Prix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Treble20 wrote: »
    Well said Any Double. I agree with you that this is 1 of the most open PDC World Championship ever. Van Gerwen is playing very well at the moment and will be a lot of Punters fancy for victory. You can also throw in numerous others with a chance but I reckon that we will have a new winner of the World Championship this year,I don't think Lewis will make it 3 in a row and Taylor is showing too much Inconsistency in his game to win it I reckon.

Personally my fancy is Simon Whitlock. He has reached the final before and reached the semi last year despite carrying an ankle injury. He's form this year has been up and down but he still won a Major in the European championship. He likes the Ally Pally venue,this could be his year.

He was hobbling around Killarney over the weekend, very surprised, and beside the limping he had a sickly face. Also acted like an asshole but that might have been due to the two previous reasons, or at least I would hope so.
    Obviously he's not the player he was but Taylor still is the man to beat, having said that i wont be backing him.
    would like to see MVG go all the way,
    Whitlocks attitude in killarney yesterday surprised me,he was getting well beaten by mcdine and he kept moaning and saying "i dont want play anymore" and other childish nonsense,he didnt sound like someone who has the fight in him when things arnt going well.
    as ye say,its the hardest one ever to call,roll on December:)

According to Stefanie Luck facebook they wont be going back to Killarney again. They both hated it, apparently.

She went from a cant wait for Killarney to cant wait to get back to England..not a happy camper

stylie wrote: »
    He was hobbling around Killarney over the weekend, very surprised, and beside the limping he had a sickly face. Also acted like an asshole but that might have been due to the two previous reasons, or at least I would hope so.

According to Stefanie Luck facebook they wont be going back to Killarney again. They both hated it, apparently.

She went from a cant wait for Killarney to cant wait to get back to England..not a happy camper
    Sorry the Kerry air didn't suit them. They had plenty of time for sightseeing and he was out walking around the town again on Monday or should I say limping. He's a winner thru & thru though even in exhibitions and when not going well doesn't look very happy and hasn't seemed to have much patience with himself or the fans. It's for that reason I think frustration will get the better of him in a long drawn out event like the Ally Pally and I couldn't back him

Disappointed to hear about Whitlock having an attitude in Killarney over the weekend. His form in the floor tournaments this year has been patchy to say the least. He has come across to me as a shy person but never really thought he had an attitude problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DartBhoy1888

Whitlock was the same last year lads..refused to sign an autograph for a young lad aged about 7 years old.poor kid was gutted..lost alot of respect for him that day..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

i would like to see phil win but i think he hasn't really hit the form in the last few tv majors. i think lewis will do well. i think MVG could do it the win in the grand prix might lead him to the WC similar to when lewis won the grand prix in 2010. if phil gets through the early rounds and hits the qf playing reasonably well, he will be hard to beat.

im not sure about anderson, webster or wade. they are all of out form and have problems away from darts, particularly james wade. they have time before the wc to sort themselves but i can't see them challenging.

i see the dangerous outsiders being chisnall, huybrechts and jenkins as the ones the top 3/4 will want to avoid.

i see ian white surprising a few at the wc, he has had a good few wins on tv, beating barney and lewis. i hope part has another good run at the wc as well.

the players i see doing badly will be newton and barney and maybe nicholson again

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

similar to when lewis won the grand prix in 2010.

Wade won it in 2010, Lewis was runner up.

After meeting Newton in Killarney I would like to see him do well, genuinely sound fella.

MVG will have to be the bet, probably worth doing now in case he picks up some more wins.

Thornton is scoring really heavy and could go close.

Pipe is due a good run, he beats the best of them on the floor.

Lewis is unpredictable.

I think Taylor still has one Worlds left in him, if the price is good I would back him.

Chizzy and Huybrechts might be a step too far at this stage of their careers.

Painter another guy that came across as genuine and sound in Killarney, I hope he does well.

The Bull seems to be more focused on darts, but I never can trust putting money on him.

What about King ? got to be worth a bet

Wade, Webby, Barney dont have a chance unless they run into form soon.

I hope Baxter gets hammered in the first round, guys a pr1ck.

White is a good player, maybe a good outside bet.

Would love to see the Pie Man have a good run, sound fella and the nicest autograph I have ever seen :)

Colin Osburne again nice guy to meet and I hope he does well.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Wade won it in 2010, Lewis was runner up.

can't believe i forgot thats, thanks kp :)

After meeting Newton in Killarney I would like to see him do well, genuinely sound fella.

MVG will have to be the bet, probably worth doing now in case he picks up some more wins.

Thornton is scoring really heavy and could go close.

Pipe is due a good run, he beats the best of them on the floor.

Lewis is unpredictable.

I think Taylor still has one Worlds left in him, if the price is good I would back him.

Chizzy and Huybrechts might be a step too far at this stage of their careers.

Painter another guy that came across as genuine and sound in Killarney, I hope he does well.

The Bull seems to be more focused on darts, but I never can trust putting money on him.

What about King ? got to be worth a bet

Wade, Webby, Barney dont have a chance unless they run into form soon.

White is a good player, maybe a good outside bet.

Would love to see the Pie Man have a good run, sound fella and the nicest autograph I have ever seen :)

some great points, painter was in my local last year and seemed a very decent guy, alot different from the one we see competing on tv. like myself i see ian white maybe doing a justin pipe and having a good run in the worlds

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Antoine56

You should hear what he said about you :D:D

Antoine56 wrote: »
    You should hear what he said about you :D:D

Are you his wife ? black hair, a face that was left out in the sun too long...you must be as she was the only one else there that could have overheard us.

Always thought he seemed like a dry type, met him in Killarney and friend asked for a pic and he said f*** off, then he burst out laughing. Said he was only trying to see the reaction, of course we could, and proceeded to give us the most ridiculous poses, class act. The other really gas man was Alex Roy, who was just very funny and in great form.

Wright was really sound too, I would have thought that while he doesn't have the game to win it shouldn't be a huge shock if he got through a couple of rounds.

Love to see Beaton do well, but getting past a round or two would be as much as I could hope for.

Alex Roy beat me Friday night and I couldnt care, sound out and posed for some pics where it looked like we were fighting. Another guy that looks like one persona on tv and another in real life

Sounds like Ronnie really rubbed you up the wrong way in Killarney ?

White is another guy who's doing good on TV now. Indeed the last couple of years have been unusual as a lot of middle aged guys have arrived on the scene from virtually nowhere and have done well both on the floor and some on TV.
    To name a few there's White, Mark Hylton, Nigel Heydon, Scott Rand and especially Justin Pipe.

• Advertisement

White is another guy who's doing good on TV now. Indeed the last couple of years have been unusual as a lot of middle aged guys have arrived on the scene from virtually nowhere and have done well both on the floor and some on TV.
    To name a few there's White, Mark Hylton, Nigel Heydon, Scott Rand and especially Justin Pipe.
    Hylton has gone off the boil completely this year and is unlikely to qualify for the World Championship in Ally Pally. White is a great player and it's good to see him do well on TV. White actually played in the last News Of The World final in 1997 against Phil Taylor and then didn't appear on TV again until the BDO Lakeside World Championship in 2010!

He was the same two years ago with us. Dont ask him for a photo or an autograph.

Treble20 wrote: »
    Hylton has gone off the boil completely this year and is unlikely to qualify for the World Championship in Ally Pally. White is a great player and it's good to see him do well on TV. White actually played in the last News Of The World final in 1997 against Phil Taylor and then didn't appear on TV again until the BDO Lakeside World Championship in 2010!
    Yeah was practising same board as Hylton in Killarney and saw him exiting quickly afterwards. Still he came from nowhere to win 73k in 2 years.Had forgotton about White in the N.O.W as mainly remember semi against Adams.

He was the same two years ago with us. Dont ask him for a photo or an autograph.
    Have seen Ronnie in action for many years and close up too, wouldn't be someone you'd really want to be stuck in a lift with.

Yeah was practising same board as Hylton in Killarney and saw him exiting quickly afterwards. Still he came from nowhere to win 73k in 2 years.Had forgotton about White in the N.O.W as mainly remember semi against Adams.

Nice guy but definitely off the boil. He marked my game and made a few mistakes, hope for us all.
    He was in Tatler Jacks Saturday night just throwing darts against the locals as one of the guys, no airs or graces about him.

Indeed the last couple of years have been unusual as a lot of middle aged guys have arrived on the scene from virtually nowhere and have done well both on the floor and some on TV.

Peter Wright. Couldn't beleve he played in the 1995 BDO worlds, and then seems to have disappeared for a few years before surfacing again in about 2009.

Peter Wright. Couldn't beleve he played in the 1995 BDO worlds, and then seems to have disappeared for a few years before surfacing again in about 2009.
    Has got beaten earlier today in Nuland but has has 2 great years and was very good last weekend. Another guy who shows that perceverance pays off

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Bluezar

Taylor the man to beat this year, expecting a real masterclass from his the year.

MVG the danger imo, tipped him up to all my mates at 33/1 for the WGP and did'nt have a bet myself (Pure sick i know)

Bluezar wrote: »
    Taylor the man to beat this year, expecting a real masterclass from his the year.

MVG the danger imo, tipped him up to all my mates at 33/1 for the WGP and did'nt have a bet myself (Pure sick i know)

Yeah i think phil will be the man, he is due a wc :p MVG will be strong and i expect lewis to be strong again and be taylors challenger , possibly main one. whitlock looks on good form after his win at nuland at the weekend. i can't wait for the GSOD never mind the worlds

• Advertisement
Advertisement