Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new book shop The Works

Options
  • 22-10-2012 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭

anyone know where this store is going to open, will it be in the old byrnes on the high street, they have jobs advertised on there web site and fas, looks like a great shop, and great addition to kilkenny,
    http://www.theworks.co.uk/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Great shop, they had loads close in the UK over the last few years so surprised they are springing up here. Saying that, Khans already sell similar remaindered books at excellent prices in Kilkenny.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

They'll have to do alot to beat the prices and selection of Khans,

Since Khans opened I'm always curious how The Book Centre has kept going, many a time I've gone looking for a book to find it in TBC for around 6-7e but down in Khans for 2e...can't go wrong :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

They are a UK chain alright. Very good value. Sell end of line stuff a lot, like maps and the like.
    They had a store in Rathdowney and it was one of the few survivors before the place closed. Says a lot about their value as a store.
    Possibly why they are also anxious to come back to the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

from the web site it looks like a great store, seen people taking away the old shelving and anything that was left in the old byrnes shop on high street tonight, so hopefully it will open soon

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Wimbago

Cabaal wrote: »
    They'll have to do alot to beat the prices and selection of Khans,

Since Khans opened I'm always curious how The Book Centre has kept going, many a time I've gone looking for a book to find it in TBC for around 6-7e but down in Khans for 2e...can't go wrong :)

Can't beat Khan's for 'throw away' crime and fiction. One of my fav shops in KK.

• Advertisement

Any sign of this new shop opening yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

mfitzy wrote: »
    Any sign of this new shop opening yet?

far as i know it wont be opening untill the new year, they have planning application with the council to change the shop front

Seems to have never have gone ahead. Shoe shop in there the past year. Pity, I like that store (The Works).

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Wimbago

With the Book Centre, Khans, the place at the bottom of the butterslip, Eason's and the likes of Porters selling decent books at a low price there is hardly a market for another book store in Kilkenny is there?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Wimbago wrote: »
    With the Book Centre, Khans, the place at the bottom of the butterslip, Eason's and the likes of Porters selling decent books at a low price there is hardly a market for another book store in Kilkenny is there?

to be honest, I don't think there really is.
    Small market and yet bookshop wise I think we have more then Waterford does,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Cabaal wrote: »
    bookshop wise I think we have more then Waterford does,

There's a reason for that ;)

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Wimbago wrote: »

That shop doesn't sell your average bookshop offering, they sell a lot of stuff like Art and crafts, Gifts, DVDs, Stationary. I used to love the one in Rathdowney, stuff was always so reasonable.
    Only one to do something slightly similar would be Khans I'd say...

There's a reason for that ;)

Ouch ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

They still have an online presence, so with parcel Motel you might be able to order. Not as cheap as I remember them. They are all but gone from the British high street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Nothing nicer than a stroll round the bookshops in Kilkenny, then up to Langtons for the grub! I'm from book starved Carlow, ye are spoiled, I tell ye, spoiled. :D:D

Advertisement