Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderator problems

Options
  • 22-10-2012 4:26pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 407 ✭✭

Hi all,
    If I feel I have been treated unfairly by a moderator and I would like a second opinion what is the best way to go about it ?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

You should outline the issue here or you can discuss it with the mods involved by PM.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 407 ✭✭Noel Kinsella

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056774021 on this thread I recieved a warning that I felt was unjust I contact "TREE" to no avail several times by pm I feel LOCUM-MOTION was out of order. If my warning is overturned I will be happy with that. If you read this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056783811&page=14 there should be a few warnings handed out. Now I dont want any of these people to get a warning including Moderator YOP but what I would like is some consistency. Why did I get a warning for my comment ? A second opinion is all I ask.
    Thank you
    Noel

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

If you wish to contest a warning/infraction/ban, then take that up in DRP:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1397

If you wish to make a more general complaint about a mods actions, then that's for here.

How long should a reply take ?

Spear wrote: »
    If you wish to contest a warning/infraction/ban, then take that up in DRP:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1397

If you wish to make a more general complaint about a mods actions, then that's for here.

How long should a reply take ?

Have you made the mods and cat mods involved aware of the complaint being raised here?

• Advertisement

Yes to no Avail. Moderator TREE ignored several of my e-mails.

Have you made the mods and cat mods involved aware of the complaint being raised here?

Yes to no Avail. Moderator TREE ignored several of my e-mails.

And the cat mods?

I sent a message on the link you provided me is that the cat mods ?
    Thank you

And the cat mods?

The science cat mods are Dr Galen, sam34

ok thanks

• Advertisement

I have sent PM`s to both these Mods on 24/10/12 but have not recieved a reply yet I will wait a little longer and send again.

Thank you

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

The general consensus is that 14 days is a reasonable amount of time to give CMods to investigate something where they have to go back and read all the threads, comments, etc., while still keeping on top of their own workload.

If it goes to 14 days and no CMod has got back to you, then usually me or Spear will approach them and point out there's a Help Desk thread here. Some CMods are so busy that they rely on notification from us.

When you are contacted via PM by a CMod, it is a good idea to be able to provide times and dates that you sent PMs to Moderators and that no reply was received. They need as much hard evidence to decide whether you did everything in your power to try and resolve it amicably before involving them.

Now that Spear has given you the details of the 2 CMods, drop them a very small PM letting them know there is a thread here for their attention, and then wait for them to start asking you for whatever they feel they need.

-Shield

Still no news.................................................... No reply from either mod or moderator tree..............................

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Still no news.................................................... No reply from either mod or moderator tree..............................
    Fair enough. I've sent a PM to both CMods listed by Spear making sure they are aware of this thread. Sometimes CMods get so busy that they forget to have a look at the Help Desk, and some rely on being informed by the Help Desk team that there is a matter in there for their attention.

Thanks for the update, and hopefully someone will get back to you either via PM or here on-thread.

Shield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

ok, CMOD input here.

firstly, I want to state that I have NOT received any PMs from the OP regarding this issue. the first I knew of it was when shield sent me a PM this morning.

secondly, the OP references a thread from a motors forum which is nothing to do with the disputed warning, from a different forum and section and not within my remit to comment on, so I am not going to address that. if the op feels bans /warnings should have been given in that thread then he should report the relevant posts.

thirdly, re the warning. I do feel it is justified, given the nature of the post in question, which I feel is antagonistic and baiting, thus being uncivil and also breaking the 'don't be a dick' rule.

i actually remember this thread and the reported posts at the time, and had a discussion with the mods about whether any other warnings for other posters were indicated, and we felt they weren't.

so, in short, the yellow is justified, IMO and I won't be overturning it.

Thank you

Shield wrote: »
    Fair enough. I've sent a PM to both CMods listed by Spear making sure they are aware of this thread. Sometimes CMods get so busy that they forget to have a look at the Help Desk, and some rely on being informed by the Help Desk team that there is a matter in there for their attention.

Thanks for the update, and hopefully someone will get back to you either via PM or here on-thread.

Shield.

sam34 wrote: »
    ok, CMOD input here.

firstly, I want to state that I have NOT received any PMs from the OP regarding this issue. the first I knew of it was when shield sent me a PM this morning.

secondly, the OP references a thread from a motors forum which is nothing to do with the disputed warning, from a different forum and section and not within my remit to comment on, so I am not going to address that. if the op feels bans /warnings should have been given in that thread then he should report the relevant posts.

thirdly, re the warning. I do feel it is justified, given the nature of the post in question, which I feel is antagonistic and baiting, thus being uncivil and also breaking the 'don't be a dick' rule.

i actually remember this thread and the reported posts at the time, and had a discussion with the mods about whether any other warnings for other posters were indicated, and we felt they weren't.

Sam 32 I would prefer if you did not use bad language when you are posting in posts that I am going to read please treat them as if it was daytime TV and do not use the word "dick" as I find that offensive. I do not use bad language at you or any other posters here and feel you should do the same. " dont be a dick" is not an acceptable use of language in any forum. I would appreciate an apology and please dont use bad language in one of my threads again or I will have to make a serious complaint.
    Thank you

sam34 wrote: »
    ok, CMOD input here.

PLEASE DONT USE BAD LANGUAGE IN ONE OF MY THREADS I FIND THE WORD DICK VERY VERY OFFENSIVE.

PLEASE DONT USE BAD LANGUAGE IN ONE OF MY THREADS I FIND THE WORD DICK VERY VERY OFFENSIVE AS A MOD YOU SHOULD KNOW BETTER I HAVE NEVER USED BAD LANGUAGE IN ANY OF MY POSTS.
    Thank you

Dr Galen received my message on the 24/10/1012 Tree received several of my messages, I think sam34 has made his/her opinion clear and the PM that I sent either did not arrive or has disappeared I am not interested in receiving any more comments from someone who uses bad language in my thread. This issue is still unresolved as far as I am concerned.
    Thank you
    PS If my "yellow" "warning" stays I will be making a complaint about how I have been treated in other threads as different moderators seem to have very different opinions as to what is acceptable.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Sam 32 I would prefer if you did not use bad language when you are posting in posts that I am going to read please treat them as if it was daytime TV and do not use the word "dick" as I find that offensive. I do not use bad language at you or any other posters here and feel you should do the same. " dont be a dick" is not an acceptable use of language in any forum. I would appreciate an apology and please dont use bad language in one of my threads again or I will have to make a serious complaint.
    Thank you
    PLEASE DONT USE BAD LANGUAGE IN ONE OF MY THREADS I FIND THE WORD DICK VERY VERY OFFENSIVE AS A MOD YOU SHOULD KNOW BETTER I HAVE NEVER USED BAD LANGUAGE IN ANY OF MY POSTS.
    Thank you

OK, knock it off with both the self-righteousness and THE SHOUTING. sam34 did not use bad language and does not owe you any form of apology. She was referring to Wheaton's Law, which is pretty much explains how we expect people to behave around here. In fact not being a dick is so prevalent on the internet that you'll find it enshrined in the Boards FAQ. I hope that clears things up for you.

• Advertisement

This now looks like I posted the three comments together which I did not. It makes me look in a bad light. I posted each of these separately and presumed that they had not got through or were not accepted thats why I changed and re-posted. The Three posts then got shown together all at the same time. Sorry for any wrong impression caused I feel that sam32 comment not exactly helpfull especially to a newbie like myself.

Zaph wrote: »
    OK, knock it off with both the self-righteousness and THE SHOUTING. sam34 did not use bad language and does not owe you any form of apology. She was referring to Wheaton's Law, which is pretty much explains how we expect people to behave around here. In fact not being a dick is so prevalent on the internet that you'll find it enshrined in the Boards FAQ. I hope that clears things up for you.

I consider "dick" bad language I cant remember the last time I heard it used on the 6pm news or even the 9pm news I dont like it I would prefer it was not used in my threads.
    Thank you

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I consider "dick" bad language I cant remember the last time I heard it used on the 6pm news or even the 9pm news I dont like it I would prefer it was not used in my threads.
    Thank you

This is not "your" thread, it's a Boards thread, and the use of the phrase "don't be a dick" is universally accepted on the site and the internet as a whole, as my link above explains. I'm sorry if you find it offensive, but your indignation at its use is unfounded.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

This now looks like I posted the three comments together which I did not. It makes me look in a bad light.
    my 2c.

The only place that warning is publicly visible is on that that one post on that one thread. You are the one drawing attention to it.

Your behaviour on the "Pesky Cyclist" thread
    https://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?user=559815&date_to=&date_from=&query=*%3A*&forum=47

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Sorry for not commenting sooner, it was only pointed out to me today that there was a helpdesk thread on this issue.

I have not received multiple pm's from the user. I did receive one last night that was sent to me and not copied to other mod's/cmod's, and I declined to respond to it until I had spoken with other mods. Now that I realise it has been escalated to admin level, then I shall refrain from further comment and see what the outcome is.

Tree wrote: »
    Sorry for not commenting sooner, it was only pointed out to me today that there was a helpdesk thread on this issue.

I have not received multiple pm's from the user. I did receive one last night that was sent to me and not copied to other mod's/cmod's, and I declined to respond to it until I had spoken with other mods. Now that I realise it has been escalated to admin level, then I shall refrain from further comment and see what the outcome is.

I can prove that I have sent other messages to you as they are in my account as sent and you just ignored them.

Tree You received PM`s on
    10/10/12 13:36 hrs
    22/10/12 08:19 hrs
    15/11/12 20:40 hrs
    I think there are others but I could not be bothered wasting any more of my life on it.

Tree wrote: »

Hi all,
    Following several PM`s from Moderator Shield I now have a much better understanding of how this site works and what is considered acceptable or appropriate on the internet. I would like to say for me this issue is now resolved and I will be putting it down to experience. While I feel that ignoring and being generally unhelpful towards newbies is not good for the forums or boards.ie in general I have to wonder if moderator Tree had other things going on in his/her life at that time which is understandable as moderators are unpaid volunteers. I would like to say a big thank you to Shield. Boards is a great place to be and someday I would like to help out a newbie the way Shield has helped me. Onwards and upwards from here.
    Noel.

Hi Noel.

Thanks for the public nod. It's not something we get often, so I really mean it when I say thank you. Feel free to contact me any time either via PM or in here and either myself or one of my co-moderators will be more than happy to assist.

Thread closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement