Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion heater trip switch

Options
  • 22-10-2012 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

This one has me beaten! The dual immersion in question was fitted new a few months ago. Several times in recent weeks the trip switch on it has tripped. I have checked everything as far as possible and cannot find the problem.
    If it even happened all the time, it would make more sense to me.
    So I am wondering what I have missed in my checks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Philm_12 wrote: »
    This one has me beaten! The dual immersion in question was fitted new a few months ago. Several times in recent weeks the trip switch on it has tripped. I have checked everything as far as possible and cannot find the problem.
    If it even happened all the time, it would make more sense to me.
    So I am wondering what I have missed in my checks.

Which tripswitch, the one in the mcb board? Is it an RCBO or RCD tripping?

If its an RCBO or RCD it is likely the element gone faulty. But not certainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Philm_12

robbie7730 wrote: »

Which tripswitch?

The trip switch button on the immersion itself. Didn't have one on the old immersion - thank God!!

The trip switch button on the immersion itself. Didn't have one on the old immersion - thank God!!

Are you heating the cylinder with gas/oil fired heating at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Turn down the thermostat in the immersion, (under the cover - turn off the power when you're doing it).

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Philm_12

Nope - electricity only.

• Advertisement

Nope - electricity only.

The immersion element could be heating the water too much, check the thermostat setting.

But if it is only heating the water to 65c or so, then the trip stat is tripping too early. They should be tripping it at a fair bit higher temp than that, but check what the setting is on the immersion thermostat dial under the cover anyway, and reduce to 65 if it is higher than that. Power to immersion off first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

the over heat switch on the immersion can operate if your central heating is set too high

turn the thermostat that controls the water temperature of your boiler down

an overrun on your central heating pump will help

have come across this problem frequently

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Are you heating the cylinder with gas/oil fired heating at all?

think you were on the right line here robbie;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

i think some of those overheats are calibrated wrong,i have had numerous people call me because of there overheat constantly tripping!you just need to trial and error really to get correct water temp!

Advertisement