Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of wider cavity

Options
  • 22-10-2012 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Does anybody have any sort of idea how much extra it would cost to build with a 150mm cavity instead of a 100mm cavity. Or even a 200mm cavity instead of 150mm.

I know it will depend on the overall size of the house, house type and area but does anybody have any rough figures or examples?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mal_1

Theorictially an increase in cavity width will cost nothing as it an air gap, and normally the external dimensions of the house would but set by site or planning and you be decreasing the internal area of house , which be a saving; but I know that is not what you asking. Simply put, if you increasing your insulation layer by 50 - 100% it's a multiplication of the insulation costs. Also allow for speccing up your ties, deeper window cills or boards depending how it is detailed. So yes it's all back to the size of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭rockabaloo

Say then, for example, a 200 square metre house. How much extra would it be to build with a 150mm cavity instead of a 100m cavity?

And if you go to 200mm I am led to believe the cost would jump up significantly because of the extra foundations, non-standard wall ties and lintels, etc.

Would you be talking hundreds extra or thousands?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mal_1

100mm insulation is give or take 10-12€ per sq m. Considering the size given you have maybe 200- 250m2 external surface area thus the bill is 2.5k so increase that figure by 50 or 100%
    The foundation change wouldn't be too significant. Say hundreds if that.

Not a qs so don't these hard figures

Advertisement