Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are RTE continuing simulcasting ?

• 22-10-2012 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Why are RTE continuing simulcasting RTE junior on RTE TWO post switchover ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Jenny_94 wrote: »

The plan was when these extra RTÉ channels were given Ministerial permission to go ahead RTÉ said that at Phase2 (May 2012) the schedules for RTÉ2 and RTÉjr would be different. As it hasn't happened yet I assume its not a priority within RTÉ given their current financial situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭endakenny

Speaking of simulcasting, will DSO mean that there will be no need to cover the Budget on both RTÉ 1 and RTÉ 2? It has always been the case that the Budget speech and the debate that follows it are broadcast without analysis on RTÉ 2 while the speech is broadcast with analysis on RTÉ 1. Surely, those programmes could be moved to RTÉ News Now and the Oireachtas channel, if it will be provided on Saorview, so that viewers who cannot use satellite or cable will have more choice. Therefore, Budget coverage on RTÉ 1 could be confined to the news and Prime Time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

RTE have ignored Saorview since the new DG started. I presume they will continue to do so.

RTE have ignored Saorview since the new DG started. I presume they will continue to do so.
    Why would the current DG ignore Saorview?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I did not say the GD has ignored Saorview, I said RTE have ignored it.

I do not know why, but they have a few pressing financial issues to resolve and many people have left the station.

Also, the last Government in its dying days rejected RTE's request for a new channel, RTE 3/Plus and denied them rights to broadcast adverts on RTE News Now, and forced their new channel, RTE jr/RTE 1+1 to not carry adverts either. (RTE jr carries no adverts and RTE 1+1 carries the adverts of the RTE1 channel so no new revenue.

I would think those could be some of the reasons, but I do not have the ear of the DG or anyone else in RTE. I am just a viewer.

Today's news carries stories of panic as people try to buy up STBs at the last minute, after EIGHTEEN moths of warnings that ASO will happen tomorrow. Millions have been spent on advertising, reports, surveys, etc. all to no avail. It could have been done for free by RTE carrying items on regular programmes and by carrying messages on the analogue transmitters directly telling the viewers of those channels (those are the very ones affected) that their picture would disappear. Giving 18 months notice has meant that a lot of people will take 17 months and 29 days to get round to it, and then blame everyone else if they cannot get sorted in time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Today's news carries stories of panic as people try to buy up STBs at the last minute, after EIGHTEEN moths of warnings that ASO will happen tomorrow. Millions have been spent on advertising, reports, surveys, etc. all to no avail. It could have been done for free by RTE carrying items on regular programmes and by carrying messages on the analogue transmitters directly telling the viewers of those channels (those are the very ones affected) that their picture would disappear. Giving 18 months notice has meant that a lot of people will take 17 months and 29 days to get round to it, and then blame everyone else if they cannot get sorted in time.
    QFT!

It could've been more imposing onscreen, like having TV programmes in a window like RTE NN, maybe that'd have pissed people off enough, though maybe they'd just whinge about it in the pub or to Joe :)

I wonder what joys tomorrow will bring at work...

I did not say the GD has ignored Saorview, I said RTE have ignored it.
    The Director General is the boss. Therfore, RTÉ does what he says.

Also, the last Government in its dying days rejected RTE's request for a new channel, RTE 3/Plus and denied them rights to broadcast adverts on RTE News Now, and forced their new channel, RTE jr/RTE 1+1 to not carry adverts either. (RTE jr carries no adverts and RTE 1+1 carries the adverts of the RTE1 channel so no new revenue.
    Why didn't RTÉ ask Pat Rabbitte to consider overturning the FF government's decision? Is it not the case that the amount that a business pays RTÉ for advertising depends on the number of times the business wants an advertisement broadcast? Therefore, would it not be the case that the business has to pay RTÉ for the ad shown on RTÉ 1 to be shown on RTÉ 1+1?

endakenny wrote: »
    The Director General is the boss. Therfore, RTÉ does what he says.

Why didn't RTÉ ask Pat Rabbitte to consider overturning the FF government's decision? Is it not the case that the amount that a business pays RTÉ for advertising depends on the number of times the business wants an advertisement broadcast? Therefore, would it not be the case that the business has to pay RTÉ for the ad shown on RTÉ 1 to be shown on RTÉ 1+1?

I have no idea about any of that. I am only a viewer. However, Pat Rabbitte did not overturn the decision. We did not get RTE 3/Plus and RTE News Now is crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

I have no idea about any of that. I am only a viewer. However, Pat Rabbitte did not overturn the decision. We did not get RTE 3/Plus and RTE News Now is crap.

I agree with a lot of what you say Sam. The whole service is pretty poor Sam even though it is supposed to be only an alternative to ASO. It needs at the very least the Irish Film Channel, an Oireachtas Channel would be a waste of time and money when I know that the "Politicians" which a very few would be watching aren't much more than puppet figureheads. A bunch of idiots that haven't a clue compared to most Civil Servants how to debate not mind run a country/run it in to the ground maybe. No money given to RTE for the digital rollout from the Government is a lot of the problem. The recession is a scam and a debt based economy con, I know a qualified Economist. Rothschild and other Elites call a lot of the financial shots and major decisions in this country but the sheeple are mostly unaware as of yet. He is/was the major Bondholder and met with the last government in private behind closed doors. Watch a video of protesters on Youtube as they were making there way indoors. It has to be said and become widely known. The Economist even knew that. Absolute power corrupts absolutely! Watty has already commented in detail about the selling of 800Mhz spectrum, the so called Digital Dividend being a total farce and 4G will cause reception problems for many. It will never be true broadband.
    RTE News Now looks very amateurish to say the least and should be full screen and the rolling text and information should be part of the digital text on the green button or Digital Aertel. ASO to DSO but now take the mass medication of toxic neurotoxin Fluoride that dumbs people down and can cause cancer, bone and muscle degeneration, brain damage out of our water! Will never pay for it! Rant over! That is another section altogether on Boards though. I did my research and it is banned in many countries worldwide. I wouldn't be promoting the Oireachtas Channel, it just shows them up for what they really are and is a platform for the ignorance of our lying politicians. Most people with half a brain know what is really going on in the background and have no respect for these people. Even the Beeb is under the control of MI5 and MI6 and is censoring it according to researchers. :D I bet that within three to probably five years RTE will switch to T2 for broadcasting. The people are fedup already and a boring Oireachtas channel that would put anyone to sleep would be boycotted by many viewers of Saorview.

At the moment, Pat Rabbitte, Minister responsible for RTE, is launching Saorview. Obviously he has forgotten that he launched it 18 months ago.

What fools these people are.

This is the third launch of Saorview in two years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭5h4mr0(k

Jenny_94 wrote: »

I would have thought that it's becuase not everyone gets their service from SAORVIEW. Since they don't have RTE junior on sat, they have to broadcast childrens programs on RTE2.

Also they still have advertising during the childrens programs on RTE2, but they don't have any on Junior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Mitch epitag

Yeah, why don't they show some stuff from the archives on RTE 2 during the day from 10-2, murphys america, hands and things like that

• Site Banned Posts: 5 Jack Z

endakenny wrote: »
    Speaking of simulcasting, will DSO mean that there will be no need to cover the Budget on both RTÉ 1 and RTÉ 2? It has always been the case that the Budget speech and the debate that follows it are broadcast without analysis on RTÉ 2 while the speech is broadcast with analysis on RTÉ 1. Surely, those programmes could be moved to RTÉ News Now and the Oireachtas channel, if it will be provided on Saorview, so that viewers who cannot use satellite or cable will have more choice. Therefore, Budget coverage on RTÉ 1 could be confined to the news and Prime Time.

Budget was STILL shown on Both RTE 1 and RTE TWO as well as RTE newsnow yesterday.

The problem is that RTE do not have the confidence that people will watch programmes that are not on Sky or UPC. They should take the view that Saorview is THE service and it is upto the other platforms to take the whole service.

The ultimate nightmare for RTE is that no-one is watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Stagename102

5h4mr0(k wrote: »
    I would have thought that it's becuase not everyone gets their service from SAORVIEW. Since they don't have RTE junior on sat, they have to broadcast childrens programs on RTE2.

Also they still have advertising during the childrens programs on RTE2, but they don't have any on Junior.

Well here's hoping that now that RTE Junior is available on Sky and UPC (as of 15th April 2013) they will soon stop simulcasting the programmes on RTE2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Well here's hoping that now that RTE Junior is available on Sky and UPC (as of 15th April 2013) they will soon stop simulcasting the programmes on RTE2.

Since the (Phase2) relaunch of RTÉjr last Mon it now has its own unique schedule instead of a 3 hour repeat loop of programming from RTÉ2.

The next phase for RTÉ2 is that children's programming will continue from early morning up to 11:00 followed by adult orientated lifestyle and drama programming until the teenage block of programming takes over at 15:00.

This from an Irish Times article last Mon (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84153032#post84153032)
    The future of children’s programming on RTÉ Two has yet to be finalised, but it is likely that the mid-morning shows aimed at the younger RTÉjr audience will lose their place.

“We haven’t fully worked through our schedules yet,” says Killane, but it wouldn’t be “value for money” for the mid-morning schedule on RTÉ Two to overlap with that of RTÉjr, he notes.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

We don't drag up old threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement