Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Real life confrontation, how good are you?

• 22-10-2012 5:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭

We all fancy ourselves as pugilists here on boards but how are you at verbal fisty cuffs in real life?
    Im a real oddity. If I know there is a confrontation on the horizon or have to take another adult to task over a misdemeanour I would sooner crawl under a rock than deal with it. If I have no option but to deal I fret and play every possible scenario of the confrontation out in my head and prepare hundreds of possible witty and cutting lines. Of course the confrontation never plays out as i predict, I feel horrible after it and quite frankly Im a sap....
    However if a row comes up out of the blue or someone really really gets on my wick with no lead in Im absolutely farking devastating. In the last year alone i have reduced two adults to tears, one of them being the work place hard nut with a reputation as a bit of a bully and i felt great after it. Absolutely elated. If only i could bring a little of this into my planned confrontations.:rolleyes:
    So. Whats your story?

Oh yeah. I ask this as just yesterday i ripped the head (figuratively speaking) off the woman my father in law has been having an affair with. I didnt expect to meet her, she instantly crossed a line and i went a bit mental. My wife rewarded me in the nicest possible way...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

It depends on how big the other person is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

How big a boy are ya??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Verbal confrontation boys and girls. VERBAL!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Youse staaaartin' OP?

Wife will never back down, she's like a bulldog; really, sometimes I've had to disappear into the background and call the Guards while she takes on 3 junkies I have no intention of taking on.

She'll get me killed one day I'm sure of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Amy33

How is your father in law's affair any of your business?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Amy33 wrote: »

Because it's his father in law? who is also having affair?

if he didn't want it to be anyone's business he should have kept it secret :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Oh I love a bit of confrontation - Especially that time of the month.
    Only if there's good reason though - I wouldn't do it for the sake of it.
    But if someone pi$$es me off, by god they'll know about it!
    People think they can get away with things with me because I'm a little blond girl, and I look quite young and innocent - They get the shock of their lives if they cross me though!

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

It's amazing how easily a situation can be defused when you whip your c*ck out and slap it down on the table.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Upsettin' the burd who's withholdin' his conjugals, righ'?

• Advertisement

It's amazing how easily a situation can be defused when you whip your c*ck out and slap it down on the table.

I wouldn't recommend that strategy if the other person is wielding a large knife. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I boxed a load of faggots one day.

And the I shipped them off with the rest of the firewood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I find that a strongly worded, scathing e-mail sent to the offending party usually suffices as the trump card in a bout of fisticuffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Oh yeah. I ask this as just yesterday i ripped the head (figuratively speaking) off the woman my father in law has been having an affair with. I didnt expect to meet her, she instantly crossed a line and i went a bit mental. My wife rewarded me in the nicest possible way...

And why didn't you rip the head off your father in law?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

Why don't you rip the head of the father in law? Was the woman an easier target for you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Same as you OP. I'm very easy going and it takes a great deal for someone to push my buttons. If someone insults me I usually end up laughing :D. I also avoid confrontation at every opportunity.

However, on the few occasions I have snapped and had a go when it's needed to be done I can turn very sour. I have tore people to shreds and people have commented how cutting I can be. I can usually sum someone up quite well and cut someone down to size.

It's a nice secret power to have. Embrace and savour it OP. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

Why don't you rip the head of the father in law? Was the woman an easier target for you ?

Well, he said that she crossed a line, so I guess that's how the confrontation arose.

Or maybe you can just take your own interpretation and not base it on what people write.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭crybaby

Since it was the woman who crossed the line surely she should be the one taking the bollocking, or are women just simply too delicate in your eyes to take some harsh words when it is deserved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I've gotten into a couple of shouting matches at work with annoying customers, but if it ever looked like it was going to fisty cuffs id back down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I am not good at all and will actively avoid it in all situations, both real life and online.

I'm a sensitive soul :o It's not a god trait to have. I don't like aggressive people, but some kind of middle ground would be good, so I don't get taken advantage of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

However if a row comes up out of the blue or someone really really gets on my wick with no lead in Im absolutely farking devastating. In the last year alone i have reduced two adults to tears, one of them being the work place hard nut with a reputation as a bit of a bully and i felt great after it. Absolutely elated. If only i could bring a little of this into my planned confrontations.:rolleyes:
    So. Whats your story?
    You felt good about making someone else feel bad, you plan out rows, and plan insults for people, you sound a little like the 'hard nut bully' yourself.
    Oh I love a bit of confrontation - Especially that time of the month.
    Only if there's good reason though - I wouldn't do it for the sake of it.
    But if someone pi$$es me off, by god they'll know about it!
    People think they can get away with things with me because I'm a little blond girl, and I look quite young and innocent - They get the shock of their lives if they cross me though!
    So you confront people because your female? I KNEW WOMEN DID THAT :rolleyes:

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    So you confront people because your female? I KNEW WOMEN DID THAT :rolleyes:

My female what??

Anyway, what are you on about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I'm good with words. I always believed that I'd make a great negotiator.

My female what??

Anyway, what are you on about?

You said you enjoy confrontation, you said you shock people because you think they can pull the wool over your eyes because you are small, blonde (don't know what that has to do with it) and female. That means that you confront people because you are female. I then said that I knew women confronted people because they are female. Then I did one of these: :rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

My wife rewarded me in the nicest possible way...

With a punch up the hooter, no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I'm far better in real life. I realised a while ago I'm not that persuasive online
    I assume that it's because my physicality makes my point for me but I don't take that into account.

Btw it none if yer business who yer father in law fcuks

Cos he's married to my wifes mother and my wife thinks he and his 'bit on the side' are scum bags...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

I will always stand up for myself and for those that can't and sometimes that gets me in trouble. I suppose I am the protective type to some degree. I sometimes say too much and end up feeling terribly guilty about it afterwards.

But I love having a good fight especially when its brewing for ages. There is nothing like getting everything out in the open. I'm a kind of act first think later type of girl. Although I am quiet sensitive underneath it all, hense the guilt trip thing.

• Advertisement

And why didn't you rip the head off your father in law?!!

Obviously i didnt do that as i didnt mentioned it in a brief post on boards. Also i have never had a shower, eaten cheese, ridden a bike or had a wee.:rolleyes:;)
    Actually the wife has sorted him out. Shes an utter Atilla The HUN and is feared by all.

See post 31...

You said you enjoy confrontation, you said you shock people because you think they can pull the wool over your eyes because you are small, blonde (don't know what that has to do with it) and female. That means that you confront people because you are female. I then said that I knew women confronted people because they are female. Then I did one of these: :rolleyes:.

No, I didn't say that.
    Not at all. :rolleyes:

Your theory about women still remains invalidated if you believe that my post validated it.

You felt good about making someone else feel bad, you plan out rows, and plan insults for people, you sound a little like the 'hard nut bully' yourself.

:rolleyes:

Yes...yes indeed thats what i wrote........ (Pssssst read it again without the screwy interpretation)

Yes...yes indeed thats what i wrote........ (Pssssst read it again without the screwy interpretation)

Same goes for my post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

I told him he was a ****, he checked , game over, he now walks round blue, blue this, blue that, some fooker blue me away, MAMMY.

• Advertisement

You said you were elated from your confrontation, thats exactly what you wrote.
    Same goes for my post!

Sorry, this is just how I see people who enjoy confrontation, people probably aren't shocked because your small and female, their probably shocked because your confrontational in general, its not an attractive quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

If a man is standing in the middle of the forest, speaking, and there is no woman around to hear him... Is he still wrong? 

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. I’ll make him regret saying that. 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

I would much rather a face to face confrontation than an online one. People who mock or intimidate others online are cowards in real life, and hide behind the keyboard while protecting their identities.

*anyone up for a few fisty cuffs...online of course:o*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Cos he's married to my wifes mother and my wife thinks he and his 'bit on the side' are scum bags...
    Obviously i didnt do that as i didnt mentioned it in a brief post on boards. Also i have never had a shower, eaten cheese, ridden a bike or had a wee.:rolleyes:;)
    Actually the wife has sorted him out. Shes an utter Atilla The HUN and is feared by all.

I bet yer no good with confrontations with wifey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Probably shouldn't if you want anyone to heed what you're saying.

LOL, I could kick your ass and anyone else who decides to take me on, stupid thread, pure stupid,

I am great, oooooooo no wait I am not great but I am peaceful, but let me tell you about the time I was ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Depending on the situation , if I am in the wrong I would take it and if I am not they would get some back and then you have the times you couldn't be bothered.

In work I am seen as a push over cause if I done what I really wanted to do I would be without a job.

Just the weekend gone, I got attacked by a guy with a sporting pole. I didn't back down and keep walking calmly to a taxi after he hit me with it (across the back), due to there been women in my presence it was best too get them out of the situation. Plus for certain reasons it is best for me not to be involved in assaults.

My advise is never run, back down and at all costs do not fall on the ground. Keep your cool and depending on the situation avoid assaulting anyone, these scum have very good ways of turning the assault on you should it come to someone been arrested.

You said you were elated from your confrontation, thats exactly what you wrote.

Yes and you are trying to put a spin on it which is not merited. I felt good for sticking up for myself, standing up to someone who has provoked me when i am the injured party. You for what ever reason are misrepresenting my post to suggest that i enjoy a good row when the entire point of my post indicates that i dread confrontation and only really have them when it is sprung upon me.
    Clear?

Yes and you are trying to put a spin on it which is not merited. I felt good for sticking up for myself, standing up to someone who has provoked me when i am the injured party. You for what ever reason are misrepresenting my post to suggest that i enjoy a good row when the entire point of my post indicates that i dread confrontation and only really have them when it is sprung upon me.
    Clear?

Well no, you dread confrontation but in a situation out of the blue you said you are 'farking devastating', you've reduced 2 adults to tears within the last year. Ok, I get your saying these situations are caused by the other person, but if your devastating and making people cry your going to far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Well no, you dread confrontation but in a situation out of the blue you said you are 'farking devastating', you've reduced 2 adults to tears within the last year. Ok, I get your saying these situations are caused by the other person, but if your devastating and making people cry your going to far.

As they say, if you can't take it don't dish it out.

Clear?

I am sure you know this already, in the moment, when you are being challenged, at least you can represent yourself, no need to worry what people on a cyber-net might think so,

they do not reside beside you, there is no reason to get upset @ this moment in time,

all you need to know is when the shiit hits the fan, you can survive, that is all that counts,

being brave could make this happen, being full of the talk and big body can make this happen,

being full of the knowledge and nothing else can make you follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

I've given a good bollocking to a few people in the past but only when they deserve it. I'm usually relaxed and easy going but when someone messes with me or someone I care about, I don't care who they are, I'll just go mental at them.

For example, when in my folks house one day my sister went to get something to eat out of the fridge until her husband told her, "You've had enough to eat today" (exact words). I went ballistic at him, "Don't you fcuking dare to tell her when she's had enough to eat, if she wants to eat something, she will and it's none of your fcuking business!" That shut him up :D

Any grown adult who decides to pick a row and can then be brought to tears with words has obviously been put into their box deservedly.

Any grown adult who decides to pick a row and can then be brought to tears with words has obviously been put into their box deservedly.

See and this is the attitude, theres nothing wrong with standing your ground but you parade the fact you make people cry. It's that unattractive quality.

• Advertisement
Advertisement