Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anon uses Metro to publicly shame random guy

• 22-10-2012 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3 Liernes

So if you didn't read Friday's metro:
    http://e-edition.metroherald.ie/2012/10/19/

This was posted in the YEH BIG RIDE section:

"To the boy who got on the Luas at Heuston Station and stood in the
    second-last carriage, I'm the girl wearing the green jeans, grey cardigan and boots. I also have a boyfriend so you needn't waste another commute eyeing me up."

After several heated debates in work, we came to a few conclusions,
    -the majority of us, use our daily commute to check out the "talent"
    -both male and female staff do it
    -anyone we noticed was completely forgotten within seconds/minutes of reaching our destination or being out of sight
    -a simple can you stop doing that / moving to a different carriage was more appropriate
    -we all agreed this was just an ego trip for the poster

However, the female staff consider men doing this to be "creepy" but not for women to do it...

Do you agree with this double standard? Would you publicly try to shame this person or just accept it as a compliment and move on?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Liernes wrote: »
    second-last carriage, I'm the girl wearing the green jeans, grey cardigan and boots. I also have a boyfriend so you needn't waste another commute eyeing me up."
    Now we know what she looks like and where she'll be, lets all go for a gwak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Ha, depending on the direction and your point of view, I get on the Luas at Heuston every morning and stand in the second last carriage haha. Hope it's not me she's talking about! I've never spent the trip eyeing anyone up, while I do spot some talent occasionally I'd never be able to recall what they were wearing. Tbh I doubt her boyfriend would either, they might not be going out for very long but she has a lot to learn about men if she thinks they pay attention to shít like the colour of their jeans and the type of footwear they've on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Who would agree with any double standard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

The government should set up a working group to see how the issue is affecting people.

Social workers could be trained and deployed on public transport to counter this scourge on humanity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I haven't traveled on public transport in a while, but when I do, I usually just zone out.

I wouldn't notice anyone whether good looking or not, unless they jumped up and down doing the hula, or unless they were particularly good looking or weird looking.

I most certainly wouldn't notice anyone eyeing me up, and if I did, I would just assume that it was that awkward moment when you're staring into space, and then notice that you're actually staring right at someone.

On whether I think it's okay or creepy for guys to check out girls, and girls to check out guys - It is what it is. It's natural. Everyone does it. Just don't make it ridiculously obvious and make the other person uncomfortable.
    Guys doing it is no creepier than girls doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

To the girl on the Luas who thinks every guy is eying you up, he's not fu<king psychic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

She needs to get over herself - we all do it. It's only creepy if you stare at someone for the full journey, especially if you've been noticed.

And green jeans and grey cardigan and boots? He was probably trying to figure out why someone would choose to put those colours together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

She needs to get over herself - we all do it. It's only creepy if you stare at someone for the full journey, especially if you've been noticed.

And green jeans and grey cardigan and boots? He was probably trying to figure out why someone would choose to put those colours together.

Yeah, why on earth was she wearing green jeans?
    Who wears green jeans??!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭Seridisand

From the context, she sent that while on the Luas, was he reading the metro and she expected it to update there and then? :D
    If it was a morning Luas, he was most likely packed into a carriage with her directly in front of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Korvanica wrote: »
    Who would agree with any double standard?

You'd be surprised. Equality doesn't mean equal.

Yer one there seems to ego-trippin'. I guarantee the dude got off at his stop, did whatever he had to do, went home and never thought about her during any of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

ScumLord wrote: »
    Now we know what she looks like and where she'll be, lets all go for a gwak.

She goes to work like any other day only to be confronted with a wall of derision. Or:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Maybe she's Samantha Brick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Yeah, why on earth was she wearing green jeans?
    Who wears green jeans??!

The girl in the 2nd last carriage obviously.

:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

She needs to get over herself - we all do it. It's only creepy if you stare at someone for the full journey, especially when they're sitting beside you, especially if you've been noticed.

fyp :)

God she sounds like such a dic­khead.

Doom wrote: »
    Maybe she's Samantha Brick?

Samantha Brick wouldn't be able to single out individuals, sure even the gay guys are staring at her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

How do we know it's the girl? Perhaps it could be another potential suitor trying to discourage the competition.

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    How do we know it's the girl? Perhaps it could be another potential suitor trying to discourage the competition.

In which case there's only one way to foil such a dastardly plan!

Mod

Don't quote posts with spam links in them. It only creates more work for mods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

Would you publicly try to shame this person or just accept it as a compliment and move on?

Bit of a stretch to say he was publicly shamed. She didn't describe him, only the stop he got on at.

Oh and I'm not going to sign up to the paper either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

When I ride the bus I make sure my thong is poking out above my st. bernard low riders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I'm the girl wearing the green jeans, grey cardigan and boots.
    Sounds suspiciously like a hipster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

When I ride the bus I make sure my thong is poking out above my st. bernard low riders.

But the stains on it?!?!?!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Sounds suspiciously like a hipster

It's interesting how anon went from taking down Scientology across the globe to just ranting about one dude eyeing them up.

Fashion and Appearance
    >

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

A few years ago I was on a dart and there was a woman sitting beside me and a man opposite me. The man was wall eyed and was just sitting there minding his own business when suddenly little miss full of herself chirps up with "can you stop staring at me, you're making me uncomfortable!" The guy didnt even know she was talking to him until she said it again and he was seriously embarrassed about it. I wanted to say something to her but didn't want to embarrass him any more. Stupid bint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Recently got told that it's less creepy for women to check out men than men to check women out because women have better peripheral vison and so don't need to look directly at a man..
    Just makes me feel a bit uncomfortable... like finding out there were hidden cameras in the loo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

On the tube in London they have special transport police who look out for men with hard ons rubbing against women in rush hour.

I know this cos I saw a show on it. I was never arrested and questioned, or anything, ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

After a public humiliation like that I'd be surprised if any man gets in the second last carriage of the LUAS every again.

• Advertisement

After several heated debates in work, we came to a few conclusions,
    -the majority of us, use our daily commute to check out the "talent"
    -both male and female staff do it
    -anyone we noticed was completely forgotten within seconds/minutes of reaching our destination or being out of sight
    -a simple can you stop doing that / moving to a different carriage was more appropriate
    -we all agreed this was just an ego trip for the poster

Several heated debates? Where the hell do you work? I want a boss like yours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

On the tube in London they have special transport police who look out for men with hard ons rubbing against women in rush hour.

I know this cos I saw a show on it. I was never arrested and questioned, or anything, ok.

I know a girl who had some weird guy just start masturbating beside her on a packed Dublin bus

I know a girl who had some weird guy just start masturbating beside her on a packed Dublin bus

now how is that creepy :mad: some women are so up themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

In fairness they must have been green Wellies, otherwise people would stare.

And the guy hammering on the roof calls me a paranoid little weirdo. In Morse code. !!!
    — Emo Phillips

She "also" has a boyfriend? Does she think he does too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Why did she have him do that? Sounds like a weird voyeurism/exhibitionism cross fetish to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Reports that the man involved has gone into witness protection remain unconfirmed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

I hope she was nice and offered to help.

How do you know her? Let me guess, she sits beside you on the way to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Feeona wrote: »
    now how is that creepy :mad: some women are so up themselves

Sure how did she know he was wankin about her? It's all "me, me, me" with some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Was I the only tempted to reply and apologise for staring as she had a snot hanging from her nose?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Green jeans? I'd say she missed a rare opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

'I also have a boyfriend so you needn't waste another commute eyeing feeling me up'

Fair enough love, I'll keep my hands to myself from now on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

It's cute that she thinks any guy would remember what she was wearing. Women and their crazy notions eh?

On the double standard thing. I was in a pub on the weekend. The bartender was a muscular fella. There were three women sat the bar, leaning forward partly off their stools the entire time I was there each trying to out flirt the other. I found it pretty funny. If it was 3 guys with a good looking lady behind the bar, they would likely be called pathetic. I actually don't know 3 guys that would make it so obvious and be so desperate actually.

One of them gave the guy her phone and himself and the other guys behind the bar started flipping through photos of her. HaHa, great stuff

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    After a public humiliation like that I'd be surprised if any man gets in the second last carriage of the LUAS every again.

The carriage will be empty except for this one girl in green jeans descending into extreme paranoia one tear at a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

To be fair to her, it might be the case that this guy is eyeing her up every day in the creepiest, perviest way possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

So if you didn't read Friday's metro:
    http://e-edition.metroherald.ie/2012/10/19/

This was posted in the YEH BIG RIDE section:

And the stuff in the Metro is not made up.

At all, at all. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I wouldn't blame anyone for just looking, where's the harm in that?

So in that respect I think she's overreacting.
    That said, some people just are creepy. And since none of us have seen the bloke in question, or know how near he may have been standing to her to leave such an impression, or just how generally creepy or weird the situation was, I'll have to reserve judgement.

If someone was leering at someone to the point of making them uncomfortable I'd say they might leave or call them out for it. Not put a message in the paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Does she actually think anybody's going to read her note:confused:
    Of course, it's on boards now, but in general, does a great deal of people read those bits? I think not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

smash wrote: »
    A few years ago I was on a dart and there was a woman sitting beside me and a man opposite me. The man was wall eyed and was just sitting there minding his own business when suddenly little miss full of herself chirps up with "can you stop staring at me, you're making me uncomfortable!" The guy didnt even know she was talking to him until she said it again and he was seriously embarrassed about it. I wanted to say something to her but didn't want to embarrass him any more. Stupid bint.
    ''There's wimmin for ya''

• Advertisement
Advertisement