Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tulip Tree & Sweet Gum tree

Options
  • 22-10-2012 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭

I have bought these 2 trees, the Tulip tree has been in a pot for the last 2 years , the (Liquidamber) Sweetgum tree only at the weekend.

I am now nervous of planting them, we are on a 3/4 acre site and having researched them, i am getting cold feet on letting them out of their containers.
    All experience of these trees would be very welcome. We are based in Macamore clay area and both would be very suitable to the soil......but .............. would we be mad to let them loose ?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

why? They're both lovely trees. Is it ultimate size that you're worried about? Liquidamber is very slow-growing, I doubt you'll live to see it cause any problems. The tulip tree is faster once it gets going, a family member has a 10 year old tree that's around 20ft high. Can always be cut down after 20/30 years if it fills too much space. Just go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭secman

planetX wrote: »
    why? They're both lovely trees. Is it ultimate size that you're worried about? Liquidamber is very slow-growing, I doubt you'll live to see it cause any problems. The tulip tree is faster once it gets going, a family member has a 10 year old tree that's around 20ft high. Can always be cut down after 20/30 years if it fills too much space. Just go for it.

Its the ultimate size, but the wife keeps reminding me that it won't be our problem !

Any problems with their root system, as too close to house or pathways or septic tank ?
    Hearing about the "spikey" fruits from the Liquidamber being a nuisance.

Just need a bit more encouragement i suppose, both look like very beautiful and interesting trees, especially in Autumn.

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

plant plant plant...beautiful trees need to be set free,

3/4 acre, id be planting lots more:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭dudmis

coincidentally i saw the most beautiful yellow leafed tree in avoca shops today - turns out it was a tulip tree - i'm now smitten and plan one for my garden! it was like a ball of sunshine with the light shining through the leaves - fab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I wouldn't worry about the roots, though both of those trees dislike disturbance so be gentle when you plant them. Willows are the ones to watch for drains, and cherries are awful near paths. Happy planting:)

• Advertisement

They are without a doubt beautiful trees and both would be suitable to plant in the Macamore clay, but my doubts are whether they are more suited to a Park than a 3/4 acre house site. We are still undecided, but are erring on the No side at the moment. If we could plant them on the other side of our boundary and still get pleasure from looking at them !

Secman

Just an update, still have the Tulip tree in a pot, just a bigger one. Brought the Sweet Gum back and got a Lamarkii, nice similar autumn colours but only half the height and no "gum balls" to puncture ride on !

Have earmarked another suitable tree too , a Sour Gum (Tupelo), another nice Autumnal colour tree.

Secman

Advertisement