Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stove in front of existing fireplace.

• 22-10-2012 5:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

I have just been quoted roughly €500 :confused: All they would be doing is putting a pipe up the chimney and an insulating back behind the stove. :confused:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    I have just been quoted roughly €500 :confused: All they would be doing is putting a pipe up the chimney and an insulating back behind the stove. :confused:

Yep,all they (2 people) would be doing is getting up on the roof with a roof platform/scaffolding system,manhandling the piping down the chimney,then filling up with vermiculite,then installing stove and connecting it all up.

Oh and also installing new stove chimney pot too.

When you take all that into consideration,500 euro is not that bad a price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,577 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Does it include the flue or is it just Labour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

They made a mistake, its €140+vat for the installation :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Your going to get an unsafe and terribly crap installation for that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I have an existing fireplace in my kitchen that is boarded up presently. i am scared to remove the cover at the moment. anyway. do you know what i would need to do to get it knocked out. plastered and a stove with a flu put in with a granit base. do most fireplace companies provide all this service? i would also like a floating mantly like a sleeper or bog oak. any dublin companies that folks would recomend and any idea on pricing. i dont need a back boiler. this is more for aestectics than actual heat requirement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

stove from four hundred euro,
    chimeny liner two hundred,
    cap for chimney, i paid sixty euro.

dont know what granite base is, but i would say it would be nearly as dear as stove, while i put one in some months ago and used garden paving, black in colour and with a pattern etched and then framed with a piece of wood, the pavers were six euro each and i used six of them, while you can get the wood for a tenner and cut to size, if you want to cut costs,
    i had done all the rough work and just had the pavers in and things ready for the person to get the stove in and working in the one day.
    try to do the breaking up the fireplace yourself and have it ready to receive the slabs and plastering as well as stove, so that you have things a bit cheaper
    i suppose then all you are speaking of, is a days labour,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Your going to get an unsafe and terribly crap installation for that price.

Its from a company who are members of INFO and have been in business for 60 years.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

I blocked up old fireplace leaving the pipe going through the wall. Blocked up to bottom of pipe so all soot comes down into stove. No fancy flues, liners etc. Working perfect last few months in 2 rooms. Cost about 20 quid total and my own labour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

nacimroc wrote: »
    I blocked up old fireplace leaving the pipe going through the wall. Blocked up to bottom of pipe so all soot comes down into stove. No fancy flues, liners etc. Working perfect last few months in 2 rooms. Cost about 20 quid total and my own labour.

Have you got an access slot in the flue pipe to send a chimney sweep brush up the flue and into the existing chimney???;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭clarenman

put in a small stove (non boiler) myself last year,got metal frame made with chimney and access door (underneath for cleaning) cut out,glued frame to brass surround plate,and installed stove,cost -- metal plate 40e--special glue 10e,all done in an hour:)best thing i done in ages ---very warm and economical

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

paddy147 wrote: »
    Have you got an access slot in the flue pipe to send a chimney sweep brush up the flue and into the existing chimney???;)

Yep. Well it is easily accessible through the stoves due to their design. I built blocks up and smoothed it so there is a nice slope down and into the stove also. I talked to as many people as I could, researched it as much as I could and to this day, I still find the whole flue pipe, connection thing a grey area. Nobody seemed to agree on a correct approach, connections, flue liners etc. I just found it very odd to be honest.

Advertisement