Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day 1. Problem 1

Options
  • 22-10-2012 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭

Just started taking an online course on Java programming and it was all going so well till now. If anyone can help i would really appreciate it.

I'm being asked to run a very simple program on cmd (CalcAverage). They have given me step by step instructions, but its asking me to enter;

cd D:\labs\les02

Of course nothing happens, is it trying to point to a disk in drive D? The course doesn't come with disks, all online.
    I have installed Java SE Development Kit 7u9, which i assume is were they are trying to point the command to.

Also on their online tutorial screen-shots it has C:Users\Admin\
    But mine is C:Users\user\ I am logged in as an administrator??? does that mater?

Thanks again for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Sounds to me like they are expecting you to have that directory.

Did you get any material.do you have the program to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Just use your own paths instead of theirs. Doesn't matter, so long as the files are there.

Seems like there are some files you are expected to either download, or create yourself by typing stuff in.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭shanefitz360

When you want to run a Java program from the cmd what you do is enter the directory (folder) that the .java files are in. The "D:\labs\les02" is the location on the computer in the video. Yours will be different!

The easiest way to get the cmd with the correct location is to go to your .java files in the file explorer on windows, and press SHIFT+RIGHT_CLICK on an empty space in that window. A menu will appear with options and one of them will be 'Open command window here', select that and it should work as expected.

If you want to be able to do this through the cmd then I suggest googling windows cmd commands and the file structure, but you seem to be a bare beginner so just concentrating on your course is probably best.

For your last question, C:Users\Admin\ is the location again. 'Admin' is the user name, yours is 'user'. Whether or not you are an administrator won't matter for what you are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

If the course doesn't have clear instructions on how to set stuff up then it isn't very good... Try another.

After installing the java sdk you will need to set your PATH environment variable, does it tell you how to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Right found the problem, the version used in the tutorial is an older version and had an extra file with isn't in the new version, i think i "over thought" it. Obviously if i cant see it, its not there and no path will be right.

I'm doing the course through FAS, that's my first mistake, 20 minutes on random amateur website has though me more than the 5 hours i spent on the FAS course.

I'm just going to learn it myself, then continue with the course. Thanks for the replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭slpower01

The fas programming courses arent the worst... I did the se6 java course through fas and now onto se7, it sounds to me like it was just an example of how to compile a program.... **** will hit the fan when you get onto multithreading and all the fun stuff.

Advertisement