Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring "stand alone" GU10 light fittings

• 22-10-2012 6:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭

Bought one of these and wired it up today with 2 core cable to a plug socket, I didn't have an earth wire in it and was unsure if it was safe so tested it with a screw driver by touching the light, it sparked and the bulb blew and rcd flicked down.

I obviously should have used 3 core and earthed it, is that the problem do you think? I stupidly thought I could link one via a plug to a socket like a regular lamp.

Can these be wired with 3 core cable to a plug or MUST they be wired directly to mains?

Thanks in advance

It's similar to this

4314.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Sorry Mods can you please close this I've started a thread in electrical?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭whizbang

is there a darwin award thread ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

whizbang wrote: »
    is there a darwin award thread ?

Very good.

So can you answer the question? if not why bother posting? Trying to be a smart arse doesn't help me.

Thank you for nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

vicwatson wrote: »
    Bought one of these and wired it up today with 2 core cable to a plug socket, I didn't have an earth wire in it and was unsure if it was safe so tested it with a screw driver by touching the light, it sparked and the bulb blew and rcd flicked down.

I obviously should have used 3 core and earthed it, is that the problem do you think? I stupidly thought I could link one via a plug to a socket like a regular lamp.

Can these be wired with 3 core cable to a plug or MUST they be wired directly to mains?

Thanks in advance

It's similar to this

4314.jpg

I've had a few GU10s in various earthed ceiling lamps do the same thing and each time the flash, bang and rcd tripping was caused by a blowing bulb. Perhaps what happened to you was just a sensitive faulty bulb going bang.

I'm not an electrician but I don't see anything in your description that would cause an electrical short. I also know of no reason why your lamp must be wired directly into the mains, the current of a single bulb is low and well within the specs for a socket.

For safety if the lamp requires an earth or provides an earth terminal then it should be earthed, but an earth is only there as a fail-safe in the event of an electrical short. The lack of an earth should not cause the effects you got unless the lamp unit was faulty or mis-wired (which would most likely have been immediately apparent the moment you turned on the power before you even got a chance to test it).

Advertisement