Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salary - Fixed or Variable Exchange Rate

Options
  • 22-10-2012 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi all,

I work for a UK company but I'm based in ROI and work on ROI contracts and I've been offered a new position. The salary they offered me is in Sterling but I need to decide whether I want them to fix the exchange rate or whether get paid by exchange rate on the date of payment?

Any advice on this would be very helpful.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Ask them what they would base the exchange rate used and how often it would be reviewed. Fixed gives you the benefit of knowing what you get but depending on the rate used it can be worth going variable. Also check with your bank what they would charge for the exchange rate conversions every month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭petersburg2002

Sterling is like to depreciate as the euro area sorts its problems. The UK has its own debt mountain to deal with. The Euro has gained over the last few weeks. I would be inclined to take the fixed rate for the moment.

Advertisement