Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

local Asperger's support group?

Options
  • 22-10-2012 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

Title says it all really! Does anyone know of a group or what support there is locally? I feel that myself and family are at the start of a long journey and I don't know anyone else in the same situation, but I expect that there are a few people locally too in the same boat.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pinkhat1

i know someone. a mother of teenager with aspergers, will ask her for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Son of Jack

http://www.triplea.ie/

Triple A Alliance are a Wicklow based group.
    Their website is very informative and will give you a good idea of what they do.
    They are an active support group that have been of tremendous help
    to so many parents with children on the spectrum.
    I think you will find the other members very helpful
    as they have an understanding like no other of the journey you and your family are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Go on facebook. There is a new group called G.R.A.S.P which will hold its first meeting on Nov 15

http://www.facebook.com/events/339015599528075/?fref=ts

Totally local. There are lots of people out there connected in many ways. PM me if you need any help

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭amy1plus2

You could contact the staff in St. Catherines in Bray and maybe ask them to pass on your details to any parents that may be local and interested in meeting or chatting etc? Best of luck on your journey ahead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Greystoner

Go on facebook. There is a new group called G.R.A.S.P which will hold its first meeting on Nov 15

http://www.facebook.com/events/339015599528075/?fref=ts

Totally local. There are lots of people out there connected in many ways. PM me if you need any help

This link didn't work for me (maybe it's just me though?!!) but also when I looked them up seperatly on FB, nothing came up either!

• Advertisement

Search on FB for G.R.A.S.P MEET UP

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Oscars Mum

I am a fellow parent if you want to PM me for more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Greystoner

Search on FB for G.R.A.S.P MEET UP
    Had another look- no good again! I also googled it but just a whole load of USA ones came up.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

That link doesn't work for me either. It must only work for those invited.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Thursday 15/11 7.30pm

location Dr Ryans resource centre , kenmare heights greystones , Behind St Laurances national school , introduction meeting with a presentation from a professional ull all know !! find out on the night ! come chat with other members . have a coffee/tea get questions answered , admission is €3 to cover costs of room etc

The organiser is Valerie Bradshaw Cullen. perhaps do a FB search on her name, send a friend request and go from there

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I found the facebook group for you OP - it's closed but you can just request to join

http://facebook.com/groups/464373203614662

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 274 ✭✭The Durutti Column

http://www.triplea.ie/

Triple A Alliance are a Wicklow based group.
    Their website is very informative and will give you a good idea of what they do.
    They are an active support group that have been of tremendous help
    to so many parents with children on the spectrum.
    I think you will find the other members very helpful
    as they have an understanding like no other of the journey you and your family are on.

Triple A seem to be the main local group. ASPIRE is a national organisation http://www.aspireireland.ie/ which has some connections with AAA, and local activist Adam Harris recently put his new website online: http://www.aspergersadvice.org/

Valerie Bradshaw-Cullen has been mentioned. You can contact her via her Facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭stilltryingit

The Triple A Alliance is a great support at local level -we are lucky to have a group like it that is based in the locality. I think it was started by Simon Harris who is now a T.D. Aspire is a national group which does good parent seminars a couple of times a year, pricey but well worth it especially at the start when you need lots of information.
    I have also been very impressed by presentations/talks run by the Triple A Alliance-They happen 4 or 5 times a year and are free of charge. They also run free cinema trips, archery, athletics, film-making and social skills workshops (reduced cost for these) for children as well as social evenings for parents. I found it useful to meet others who were a step ahead along the road. They were instrumental in getting an Asperger's unit in Coláiste Craobh abhann in Kilcoole. I think they also organised trips each summer (like a school tour) though I haven't been on them.
    I got great info from them re applying for Domiciliary care allowance and the July Provision.They have a phone number and also an email address-(info@triplea.ie) You have just reminded me that I probably need to renew my membership as think it must have lapsed by now!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 274 ✭✭The Durutti Column

Here's an email we got from TA with some useful details:
    Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 20:02:09 +0000 [11/05/2012 08:02:09 PM UTC]
    Subject: Triple A update

Hello Everyone,

I hope that you all enjoyed a nice midterm break.

A few important pieces of information for you:

Our next Committee meeting takes place on Wednesday 14th in the Burnaby pub in Greystones. All members are welcome to join us from 9pm for a drink. A special welcome for new members.Please let us know if you plan to attend and we will keep an eye out for you.

We are on Facebook and we post regular updates there so if Facebook is your thing please join us http://www.facebook.com/triplea.wicklow

Lucena talk: Staff from Lucena clinic will facilitate a seminar for us on December 6th in the Wilton Hotel in Bray. You will receive a separate email soon with more details but for now....please save the date.

We have been awarded €3000 in funding from the National Lottery and we plan to use it to organise social skills sessions for members from early 2013

Christmas night: we will be organising our annual Christmas Social night again this year, details to follow

Finally.....some of you may have forgotten to renew your membership so this is a gentle reminder..the annual fee is €30 per family. If you no longer wish to be a member please let us know and we will delete you from our mailing list

Hope to see you again soon,

Alice (on behalf of the Triple A Committee)

You can contact the committee using that email address, and check out the facebook page too.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭treecreeper

i had a wonderful bubbly chat/laugh with a lady today, she will know who i speak of, encouraging, accepting and fun...when a lot of the time it's anything but. also had chance to meet up with simon harris, i was impressed. aspie living in greystones, with a good bit of grey on top as i am touching elder status!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 valbrad

Greystoner wrote: »
    Title says it all really! Does anyone know of a group or what support there is locally? I feel that myself and family are at the start of a long journey and I don't know anyone else in the same situation, but I expect that there are a few people locally too in the same boat.

Thanks.
    i run a support group called grasp if you want to contact me <MOD SNIP: send a PM> we are greystones based

Advertisement