Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biffy Clyro Tour Announcement

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

12 hours till Belfast show....

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

There was zero atmosphere over on the right, the mate and myself gave the miserable gits around us about 5 songs before we had to move. Moshed our way to the front during A Day Of..., and sure we were golden then. Delighted to hear Jaggy Snake as well, I brought signs asking for that one to the other 2 Biffy gigs I've been to (Simon winked and said they'd play it after the show in the car park...). Overall though, a little bit too colour-by-numbers, note perfect big singles for me. Seemed like they didn't have much wiggle room with the set and played too many slow ones for my taste. A few of the new ones worked really well live though, Modern Magic Formula and the Joke's on Us come to mind. Solid show overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

if anyone can find or has a good quality photo of Simon Neil with the tri-colour could you post it here, desktop wallpaper material :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

So annoyed! They were brilliant last night - but I started feeling sick and had to run back to throw up about half-way through their set :( (not alcohol-related btw). Ended up having to watch from the the very back :( Looked pretty damn good from there though.

Dammit, of all the times to be sick... :(:( Just gonna have to go see em again!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭bleach94

First time seeing them in Dublin last night, absolutely top class!! Can't wait to see them again in the future. My only quibble would be that they took Booooom Blast and Ruin off the setlist for this part of the tour, would have LOVED to have heard it live!
    Great band though and even better as a live act

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

what did people think of city and colour???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Missed the beginning of their set but they sounded a bit like jeff buckley. will be checking them out further

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

A V A wrote: »
    what did people think of city and colour???

I loved them but think were wasted at the gig , def more suited at their own gig

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I loved them but think were wasted at the gig , def more suited at their own gig

I agree with this fully. Would have loved them if knew them more. A more lively band wouldve been better Id say *cough*andsoiwatchyoufromafar*cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Mushy wrote: »
    I agree with this fully. Would have loved them if knew them more. A more lively band wouldve been better Id say *cough*andsoiwatchyoufromafar*cough*

They've had Fighting With Wire (RIP) and Pulled Apart By Horses play support in the past :eek: Was pretty crushed they picked a band as mellow and, let's face it, dull as City And Colour to warm up on this tour. Not saying I wouldn't listen to them on a rainy evening with a cup of tea, but at a pack so-called hard rock gig? Nooope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Really hope they come back with the new album. Dublin date is missing from the current European tour unfortunately.

frantic190 wrote: »
    Really hope they come back with the new album. Dublin date is missing from the current European tour unfortunately.

I think the european tour isnt really a proper one . Id say he will be back for a full tour later on after the summer
    Biffy Clyro frontman, Simon Neil, has been announced as the new judge for the second series of BBC One talent show, The Voice. The singer will replace Danny O'Donoghue to become the show's first Scottish judge, joining will.i.am, Jessie J and Sir Tom Jones to rate aspiring singers based purely on the quality of their voice. Simon explains:

"It's going to be an amazing adventure judging on The Voice this season. The fact that it's based solely on people's singing capabilities is very healthy and that really appeals to me. I can't wait to get stuck in on the medleys with the other judges. Jessie J has been a huge influence on our band for a long time now and without will.i.am there would be no Biffy Clyro."

The Biffy frontman makes his debut on next week's show, 19.00, Saturday 6 April, BBC 1.
    :eek:;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

April Fool I suppose?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

if anyone can find or has a good quality photo of Simon Neil with the tri-colour could you post it here, desktop wallpaper material :D

Here's about the best I managed:

GEDC2599.JPG

Presbyterian photograph: cheap camera. :) (Not to mention clueless operator.) Enjoy, though if you also share, please attach appropriate credit/blame.

More pics, words.

Id say 10,000? They had the back tier seats curtained off and floor seemed pretty packed.
    Someone I spoke to at the gig said they'd sold a third of the tickets, which seemed crazily small to me. Maybe that was the fraction of the seated tickets? Like you say, the floor seemed pretty full to me. (Wish I'd thought to check if standing tix were available a couple of days beforehand.) I have a crowd pic from the moment Si "shamed" (em, "facilitated"!) people to stand up in the balcony seats, if anyone wants to start counting rows back, and so forth. :)
    Agree that City and Colour were prob the best support for Biffy but i still enjoyed them .
    Not in an arena, at any rate. Smaller venue they'd have been fine. Frightened Rabbit were main support for them on the later stages of the Puzzle tour, in biggish but mostly sub-arena venues, and they're relatively quiet and mellow, and I thought they were pretty great in that slot.
    Is it me or did the bass player from C&C look like the bass player from the Ractonteurs?
    Yes! I was thinking that on the night. I was googling to see who it might have been, to do a "separated a birth" thing... and it looks like it was Jack Lawrence!
    The shows will feature a brand new touring band including Jack Lawrence (The Raconteurs, Dead Weather) on bass, Dante Schwebel (Hacienda, Dan Auerbach) on guitar, Doug MacGregor (Constantines) on drums and Matt Kelly on pedal steel guitar and keys.

So there you go. Celebrity superbassist!

Duff wrote: »
    Not when I seen them. It was Dec '05 I think it was so it would've been Infinity Land then. But, it's possible that they played Dolans again on a Puzzle tour. I'm not sure. It's my 3rd time seeing them and every time they have been superb.
    They did, night after I saw them for the first time at the Savoy. :D Five Irish dates that tour! Those were the days...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

alaimacerc wrote: »
    They did, night after I saw them for the first time at the Savoy. :D Five Irish dates that tour! Those were the days...

Yeah first time for me was Dolans on that tour. Had tix for Ambassador and Savoy but exams got in way. Still reliving how good it was.

They def sold more than a third of the tickets sure that would mean there would only have been less than 5000 people at the gig

If there was less than 11,000 there I'd be amazed. Best gig I've been to this year (closely followed by The Vaccines last Monday ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

The front section of the balcony may not have been full to capacity (which is about 2,500 in that section), but there were at least 2,000 people there, and that's erring well on the side of caution.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Advertisement

Is the "sitting" capacity about 5,000, then, and was the curtain halfway back? (Sorry, my first time at the O2, so no real basis for comparison.)

I just checked the seating plan, there are 1365 seats in the top tier in the O2 which was closed off. There seemed to be very few seats unoccupied elsewhere and downstairs looked fairly jammers. The standing capacity is 8,000 and when fully populated in the configuration as it was that night the venue holds over 14,000. Can't have been any less than 12,500 at Biffy IMO

marwelie wrote: »
    I just checked the seating plan, there are 1365 seats in the top tier in the O2 which was closed off. There seemed to be very few seats unoccupied elsewhere and downstairs looked fairly jammers. The standing capacity is 8,000 and when fully populated in the configuration as it was that night the venue holds over 14,000. Can't have been any less than 12,500 at Biffy IMO

Not sure I'm completely following the breakdown here. If the cap is 14,500 total, and 8000 stand, and 1365 sit in the top tier, doesn't that leave over 5000 in the bottom section of seats? Is the lower seated section that much bigger than the upper one? On the plans I'm looking at, the upper one seems larger! For example, this one:

the%20o2%20dublin%20-%20seating%20plan.jpg

Difficult to tell from my vantage point in the wheelchair section but I'm fairly certain that the seats in yellow are removed when there is a standing section, certainly the blue seats at the front are. I multiplied 273 by 5 to get 1365 (maths not a strong point, may be wrong ;))

Yes, that's right (I think!): both "asterisked" sections would have been removed. I think that means that the red sections were occupied, and the green ones were curtained off.

Looking at block L, it seems it's 21 rows deep, and the whole section is 273 files/columns wide. That would put it closer to 5,733 (somewhat less than that due to the way blocks H and P narrow at the ends). Some of the other sections seem to narrow from front to back, so may be somewhat less again. I'm guessing someplace between 4 and 5 thousand. Not clear how many rows are in the red blocks: maybe 8, 10, or so? That would put up to about 2000 seats in that section. (I just looked at the full res of my crowd pic when Si was telling people to stand up, and I'm guessing on the low side of that.)

So if there were <2000 seats sold in the front section, and >4000 unused behind, that's certainly consistent with the interpretation with having sold about one third of the seated tickets.

But if most/all of the standing tix were shifted, that would still be about 10,000 people there in total, which is more like 2/3 of the total cap.

Looking at the seating chart it looks like there are at least 20 rows in the green seats apart from the outer blocks....Ive given up counting......there are a lot of seats and most of them were filled for Biffy ;)

I found a slightly better seat map, one with more row and column numbers, and spent waaaay too long counting them up and calculating. @.@ :) It's still not possible to say very exactly, and in any case different gigs have different configuration: in particular if it's all-seated the "flat seating" varies between "none" and and up to maybe around 1000. So these guestimates aren't going to be any more accurate than that.

But I reckon that the yellow areas seat about 2000, the red areas about another 2000, and the green areas 4000. Add in the flat seating, and you get the max seated of 9000-ish.

So in the config for Biffy, obvs the yellow was retracted, and is replaced by 8000 standing (mostly sold, I think), and red blocks were in use as seats (also mostly occupied, I think). The green areas were entirely out of use.

So I'm reckoning 10,000 in attendance is probably about right, give any room I might be undercounting, take any tickets unsold for those areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

From the band's website:

Biffy Clyro have today been forced to cut short their North American tour and return to the UK immediately; Simon Neil has been struggling with a serious respiratory problem on the shows, including two nights supporting Muse at Madison Square Garden on Monday and Tuesday of this week, and was advised by doctors that he was endangering his long term health if he chose to continue performing on this run. Thus, further dates with Muse across the US and Canada, plus a second weekend performance at the Coachella Festival this coming Saturday, have now been cancelled.

The band wish to express how sorry they are that they aren't able to carry out the full run of shows, and hope to confirm a new run of North American shows shortly. All UK and European dates this Summer should, however, remain unaffected.

:(

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

Advertisement