Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurricane Sandy Threatens To Slam Northeast U.S. Monday-Tuesday 29th-30th

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

leahyl wrote: »
    Just said on Sky News that all 17 crew have been rescued - thank god for that

Rescue workers at sea and on land have been on standby since last night. It's crazy really. They had NY rescue workers over early yesterday as there may be problems getting them to the islands post-storm, delaying rescue efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

So this storm is living up to all the hype Ye? Just hope people take the warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

This might sound like a stupid question but why are these ships out at sea in such conditions? Forgive my ignorance

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

leahyl wrote: »
    This might sound like a stupid question but why are these ships out at sea in such conditions? Forgive my ignorance

Better to be at sea and riding out the waves than moored/close in and getting smashed against the docks and/or shore line.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Steep beep wrote: »
    Bit of wind. Storm me hole

It's nowhere near full intensity yet. Give it another 12 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Diamond Dust

Troll I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Is it like the storm that was in the film The Perfect Storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

CNN live webcam of coastal house getting flooded (2nd steam in list). I just watched the first waves breach the defences, was a more annoyed than I thought I would be. Hope people took heed of the warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Tenger wrote: »
    Better to be at sea and riding out the waves than moored/close in and getting smashed against the docks and/or shore line.

It was on private hire in the area, they may have been ignoring weather charts or thought that they could ride it out.

It is a really nice ship as well.

http://www.tallshipbounty.org/schedule/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

200motels wrote: »
    Is it like the storm that was in the film The Perfect Storm.

That was based on the novel, which in turn was based on the 1991 storm to hit the north east. It's very like that.

It hasn't started to move west yet, has it? I'm 40 miles from the coast at Mass and it's a state of emergency here at the moment.

• Advertisement

James74 wrote: »
    CNN live webcam of coastal house getting flooded (2nd steam in list). I just watched the first waves breach the defences, was a more annoyed than I thought I would be. Hope people took heed of the warnings.

That location got flooded very early this morning. Was watching it around 1am and the surf started washing over the dunes into the house

The dune is now actually holding back the water and preventing it going out in the backwash.

This site has the above webcam and also 3 others you can cycle through them with a link above the webcam feed

http://www.visitob.com/webcams/sea-ranch-kill-devil-hills/

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

Ah, sorry, wrong info on my part. I was watching for ages and now waves were breaking over it, I must have caught it in a "lull".

[-0-] wrote: »
    That was based on the novel, which in turn was based on the 1991 storm to hit the north east. It's very like that.

It hasn't started to move west yet, has it? I'm 40 miles from the coast at Mass and it's a state of emergency here at the moment.

There are signs it has started its track west now. It is still moving north as well.

The models seem to have done really well in getting a handle on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭J6P

Spindle wrote: »
    The models seem to have done really well in getting a handle on this one.

Well impressed- Euro had this spot on from 5 or 6 days out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Troll I think

Wrong. :D

I can't believe the amount of people, with children, staying put in mandatory evacuation areas. They were there waving at the bloody tv cameras all delighted with themselves. Do they not give a toss about the rescue workers whose lives they will put at risk if they suddenly have an emergency and need to get someone to hospital?

Could someone please explain to me what the storm surge will do - does it act like a tsunami pushing everything in front of it or does it mean a higher than normal tide effect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I can't believe the amount of people, with children, staying put in mandatory evacuation areas. They were there waving at the bloody tv cameras all delighted with themselves. Do they not give a toss about the rescue workers whose lives they will put at risk if they suddenly have an emergency and need to get someone to hospital?

Could someone please explain to me what the storm surge will do - does it act like a tsunami pushing everything in front of it or does it mean a higher than normal tide effect?

During Hurricane Ike lots of people tried to stay, so the police asked them to write their social security numbers on their arms in permanent marker so they could be identified after the storm. That seemed to move most of them. :pac:

BULLETIN
    HURRICANE SANDY INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY NUMBER 28A
    NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL182012
    800 AM EDT MON OCT 29 2012

...SANDY NOW MOVING NORTH-NORTHWESTWARD AND ACCELERATING...
    ...EXPECTED TO BRING LIFE-THREATENING STORM SURGE AND COASTAL
    HURRICANE WINDS PLUS HEAVY APPALACHIAN SNOWS...

SUMMARY OF 800 AM EDT...1200 UTC...INFORMATION
    LOCATION...36.8N 71.1W
    ABOUT 265 MI...425 KM SE OF ATLANTIC CITY NEW JERSEY
    ABOUT 310 MI...505 KM SSE OF NEW YORK CITY
    MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...85 MPH...140 KM/H
    PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNW OR 330 DEGREES AT 20 MPH...32 KM/H
    MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...946 MB...27.94 INCHES

They have confirmed that is shifting to the west in latest Advisory. Also there can't be many times that they mention Snow in a Hurricane Advisory!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

During Hurricane Ike lots of people tried to stay, so the police asked them to write their social security numbers on their arms in permanent marker so they could be identified after the storm. That seemed to move most of them. :pac:

Saw a video on YouTube taken by a New Yorker from his house - police were driving around telling people to evacuate and that they would be arrested if they didn't comply.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Brilliant idea. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Hope they save this ship HMS Bounty I was on her in Galway when she came a few years ago.

http://news.sky.com/story/1004141/hms-bounty-crew-abandon-ship-in-hurricane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Stream here showing houses on beach getting flooded, keep trying if it does not play it will just so many looking in.

http://www.visitob.com/webcams/sea-ranch-kill-devil-hills/

Here are some of the news sites with live updates

Wall Street Journal

New York Times?hp

The Guardian

BBC

Also a lot of the news sites in the US have removed their pay walls, so you can view all there content for free.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Hope they save this ship HMS Bounty I was on her in Galway when she came a few years ago.

http://news.sky.com/story/1004141/hms-bounty-crew-abandon-ship-in-hurricane

All crew have already been rescued after abandoning the ship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Diamond Dust

Oops that came out wrong I was talking about steep beep , sorry Cherryghost I know you're definitely not a troll . Redsunset was on to him quick anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Reuters live blog also very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Merkin wrote: »

I think so. On my phone at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Any live webcams available for New York area? Would like to see what it looks like now.
    EarthCams seems to be down at the moment..?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

The New York Times have a great feature. They've got a camera on top of their building refreshing every 60 seconds.

Been following it since about 10am this morning and it's just not gotten bright there at all.

Check it out here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Any live webcams available for New York area? Would like to see what it looks like now.
    EarthCams seems to be down at the moment..?

Here is the Harbor
    http://www.nyharborwebcam.com/

Advertisement