Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurricane Sandy Threatens To Slam Northeast U.S. Monday-Tuesday 29th-30th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,413 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Some neighbors have put up a sunshade in their car's windshield ahead of #Sandy. Somehow, I don't think it'll have much of an effect today.
    by ErnestScheyder via twitter

off the reuters site

some people live in hope

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Looks like Atlantic City is being swamped at the moment. And there is a very long way to go yet. The storm is still around 265 miles to the south east according to the last reports at 12pm Irish time.

https://twitter.com/aubreyjwhelan/status/262885138474606592/photo/1

https://twitter.com/JitneyGuy/status/262891072693358593/photo/1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

SnowDrifts wrote: »

Cheers mate! Looks good (the view I mean not the weather..)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

f8e96cf50e0d4dccbbac517.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

A walk around Mandatory Evacuation Zone A this morning. Interesting to get a feel for what it's like on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

SnowDrifts wrote: »

Great webcam, cheers :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Best Track Data upgraded Sandy to 80 knots, so we should see winds up to 90/95mph on the next advisory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

All crew have already been rescued after abandoning the ship.

They are in two 25 man covered life rafts...they have to ride it out in them...

Best Track Data upgraded Sandy to 80 knots, so we should see winds up to 90/95mph on the next advisory.

This one got my attention. There is going to be a lot of stress on the sky scrappers.

Nick Wiltgen, weather.com Meteorologist:
    The latest run of the American GFS model is predicting winds over New York City to peak at about 4pm EDT (+/- 2 hours). Ominously, at that time it predicts sustained winds of 107 mph only 1,000 feet above ground, which is below the tops of several Manhattan skyscrapers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Small animation of Sandy's progress between the 26th up to 05z today.

sandy_small.gif

Animation is from ZAMG (Austrian Met Service), who have a nice archive of animated satellite imagery of current and previous cyclones on their website:
    http://www.zamg.ac.at/cms/de/wetter/satellitenbild-animation/wirbelstuerme

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Shes Starting to turn left now...

ir-animated.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Holy crap. re HMS Bounty. Not a pleasant experience. And id have to agree, sounds higly idiotic that they were in its track in the first place. So what if ship gets damaged in the dock. This was forecast SIX days ago. Captain and owners have questions to answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Spindle wrote: »

This has stopped working for me, is it my piddilinngly slow Eircom connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Mech1

gbee wrote: »

Not only you check my sig for my connection speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

gbee wrote: »

no,its up and down constantly-too many connections one assumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Hudson river has breached its bank...

proxy.jpg?t=FQQVBBhMaHR0cDovL2Rpc3RpbGxlcnlpbWFnZTQuaW5zdGFncmFtLmNvbS84NmU0NjMzMjIxYzcxMWUyYTM0NjEyMzEzODE0MDk3N183LmpwZxQCFgASAA&s=Vq3QBpvhU6W6LM9l6ROHrbmkfnFB6J6fv_-UTwY41-c

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

This would not be fun :eek:
    http://instagram.com/p/RXdtwdlDnS/

fits wrote: »
    Holy crap. re HMS Bounty. Not a pleasant experience. And id have to agree, sounds higly idiotic that they were in its track in the first place. So what if ship gets damaged in the dock. This was forecast SIX days ago. Captain and owners have questions to answer.

Looks like she is gone
    The replica HMS Bounty we reported on earlier has now sunk, according to CBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Scroll down this page, updates automatically - the boardwalk in Atlantic City has already come down:

http://live.reuters.com/Event/Tracking_Storm_Sandy

• Advertisement

James74 wrote: »
    This would not be fun :eek:
    http://instagram.com/p/RXdtwdlDnS/
    Someone open the window please, it's a little stuffy in here :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

This might be a silly question but could this affect us Ireland ?

Didn't we get hit with the tail end of a hurricane before ?

This might be a silly question but could this affect us Ireland ?

Didn't we get hit with the tail end of a hurricane before ?

Unless Sandy decides to turn directions to east, then we would be affected. As far as I'm aware, I think the last one affected Burmuda and then moved in our direction as it slowed down and it was in it's dying phases by the time it hit Donegal.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

• Registered Users Posts: 13,008 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Regarding Integrated Kinetic Energy, NOAA are currently getting an IKE figure of 239 TJ from their analysis: see the maps here. That is about double the IKE of Hurricane Katrina (120 TJ) and well above the previous record holder (Hurricane Isabel, 2003 at 175 TJ).

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

That was from a storm in 2011, it is time to start taking with a pinch of salt what you see being posted on Social media. People will post anything to get attention.

Just wait for pictures for movies showing New York under 10 foot of water/snow/ice/lava :)

I know of people living in Geneva, New York near Rochester and Buffalo - how are theylikely to be affected? Hopefully not as bad inland?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

My brother is going to be riding this one out in lower Manhattan - I don't envy him!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Geneva NY will have 2-3 days of steady rain with moderate winds mostly from the north or northeast, and perhaps a storm total of 100 mm -- I've been through that region (Finger Lakes) and I don't think flooding is much of an issue locally, it might be a few miles to the south in the NY-PA border region.

So just a very unpleasant three or four days. The rain has already started there from the front that is being merged into Sandy.

Looks like Sandy is now borderline cat-2 and not much above 940 mbs central pressure. The main impacts are 12 hours away for the coast, but already tides are near other storm levels. Dire.

• Advertisement

Geneva NY will have 2-3 days of steady rain with moderate winds mostly from the north or northeast, and perhaps a storm total of 100 mm -- I've been through that region (Finger Lakes) and I don't think flooding is much of an issue locally, it might be a few miles to the south in the NY-PA border region.

So just a very unpleasant three or four days. The rain has already started there from the front that is being merged into Sandy.

Looks like Sandy is now borderline cat-2 and not much above 940 mbs central pressure. The main impacts are 12 hours away for the coast, but already tides are near other storm levels. Dire.

Thanks MT! indeed the Fingerlakes Region! My friend is American, living here with her Irish husband but all her family are still in Geneva - cheers for the info :-)

Advertisement