Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurricane Sandy Threatens To Slam Northeast U.S. Monday-Tuesday 29th-30th

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Wolfe_IRE

BREAKING -- WABC-TV: Atlantic City official says most of the city is under water; damage could be worse than 1962

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Wolfe_IRE wrote: »
    BREAKING -- WABC-TV: Atlantic City official says most of the city is under water; damage could be worse than 1962

Dear God...

Wind speed in New Jersey around 55/60 mph at the moment - hours away from the main storm yet....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

gbee wrote: »

Typically it should weaken rapidly soon.

Lets hope it does.

Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Wow and has the worst not even come yet?? How bad could this really get?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

Latest track has the eye passing within a half-mile of my house.

scare.gif
    RGM wrote: »
    8134419230_3ec06edf1d_z.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

These weaken once the core is onshore...IE tonight our time. It could intensify for the next 10 hours as it appears to be doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Losing webcams by the bucket load, live feeds getting erratic.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

8pm high tide:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Few different CNN live streams on one page -

http://edition.cnn.com/video/flashLive/live.html?stream=1

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Some videos on the Weather Channel. Also a lot of coastline beach houses are already washed out to sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    These weaken once the core is onshore...IE tonight our time. It could intensify for the next 10 hours as it appears to be doing.

Is it still over the gulf stream are high enough SST there to help it deepen. Hopefully once away from those high SSTs it will not be able to deepen anymore.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Ok. I woke at 9am (about 3 hours ago) and the weather was ok. A little breezy but calm compared to a typical Oct. day in Ireland.
    The wind has picked up a lot more now and it's begun to rain more.

Here's a quick vid of the East River from 2 hours ago (10 am) :

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

JFK airport:

0c0fdc8e21dd11e28c3c22000a1fb85a_7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

I know it has probably been asked many times before but here goes :)
    How come America gets such severe storms but Ireland which is an island in the Atlantic Ocean does not ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

km79 wrote: »
    How come America gets such severe storms but Ireland which is an island in the Atlantic Ocean does not ?

Simplistic really, but it's all about where they are born:

Lp1Y4.jpg

Think of the movement of weather patterns generally in terms of a flowing river and you'll basically understand why they follow a relatively predictable path.

ow come America gets such severe storms but Ireland which is an island in the Atlantic Ocean does not ?

We are an island on a Continental Shelf.

Weather comes off Africa and crosses the Atlantic and mixes up alone the US coast to arrive at us from the North mostly. We get as severe weather as anywhere, just maybe not as often.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

i think most of the hurricanes emerge form the gulf of mexico and tend to go towards southeast america due to currents. the odd tail end of a hurricane can eventually get to ireland. im sure soneone who actually knows what theyre talking about will chime in tho :cool:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

If the Earth spun in the opposite direction would it be Ireland getting hit by hurricanes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

There are two factors - first, they're on the western side of the Atlantic, and big storms tend west from the tropics, before they tend east later. That's not always true, but it happens more often than not.

Second, they're further south than we are by quite a bit, so storms still have a lot of energy from crossing over warm water, whereas by the time they get over here, they've crossed a big area of colder water, and lost some energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Some amount of pictures of flooding coming in already and it hasn't even hit land yet.

What time is it expected to make landfall at actually?

And people are saying 8pm high tide. I presume that's East Coast time so midnight here, is that correct? If that's the case, I can't imagine how high the waters are going to go.

Mayor Bloomberg receiving complaints about lack of facilities at the shelters.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Ponster wrote: »
    If the Earth spun in the opposite direction would it be Ireland getting hit by hurricanes ?

No, we'd get warm easterly summers and cold easterly winters. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

nkay1985 wrote: »

And people are saying 8pm high tide. I presume that's East Coast time so midnight here, is that correct? If that's the case, I can't imagine how high the waters are going to go.

Apparently so. NYC Mayor Bloomberg was stressing that the next high tide was to coincide with far higher water levels naturally when compared to earlier, so who knows what way the flooding will go.

• Advertisement

Apparently so. NYC Mayor Bloomberg was stressing that the next high tide was to coincide with far higher water levels naturally when compared to earlier, so who knows what way the flooding will go.

Up to 12 feet with high tide combined with surge according to some experts. Hurricane movement is now about 18mph, they expect it to make landfall around 8 now, not 7.

Advertisement