Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurricane Sandy Threatens To Slam Northeast U.S. Monday-Tuesday 29th-30th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Wolfe_IRE wrote: »
    yep. may be ad break though

Just came back :-)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

This is a good feed for people who don't have Twitter.

It's just a few reliable sources posting snippets of good information -

http://stream.wsj.com/story/2012-storm-season/SS-2-48537/SS-2-83520/

EDIT: For those that have Twitter - I'm following @twc_hurricane. It's been really good so far and posted some good (possibly wrong choice of word) photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

The picture of the Soldiers is from September 2012, but they are still standing guard now.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Saganist wrote: »
    Just came back :-)

with 106,851 viewers at this point in time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Coles

Bubble burst. Old picture that happened to go viral.
    Twitter is really proving it's to be a bad source for good information.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

dardevle wrote: »

I'm not really getting the fascination with the soldiers. Lots of countries place soldiers at symbolic sites and war memorials etc :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

Getting windier here now, we're well away from the worst of it but seen some trees down already and power went for around 30mins. Pic attached from Boston last night as light rain started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Fairly windy now in Nashua, NH. Our power just went out. Gonna be a long few days. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Pic from Hazys who posted it in the hurricane thread in AH,they live in Boston.

226249.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Wolfe_IRE

Wind map shows the speed and direction of Sandy's winds.

http://hint.fm/wind/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

13h45 in NYC. East river isn't much higher than what it was 3 hours ago and tide is still going out. Wind has picked up a LOT. Much more gusty making it more difficult to get about but pretty much all diners and bars are full for lunch.

I'll have some video when it gets a little more dramatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

well this hurricane sucks! still stuck in manhattan. on phone with delta (on hold) because my re-scheduled flight has also been cancelled with no optyions for future flights as of yet. me no likey :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

well this hurricane sucks! still stuck in manhattan. on phone with delta (on hold) because my re-scheduled flight has also been cancelled with no optyions for future flights as of yet. me no likey :(

Go to times square and wave at the cameras, stand by that statue thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭megatron989

I could think of a few people who would gladly swap with ya if they (we) could! Be safe man.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

SUMMARY OF 200 PM EDT...1800 UTC...INFORMATION
    LOCATION...38.3N 73.1W
    ABOUT 110 MI...180 KM SE OF ATLANTIC CITY NEW JERSEY
    ABOUT 175 MI...285 KM SSE OF NEW YORK CITY
    MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...90 MPH...150 KM/H
    PRESENT MOVEMENT...NW OR 305 DEGREES AT 28 MPH...44 KM/H
    MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...940 MB...27.76 INCHES

• Registered Users Posts: 42 nevsky

For anyone losing the weather channel link. Here is a New York local station and their live link.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/livenow?id=8857235

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

You're not going to get out of the city until Wednesday so find a cosy bar with wifi and sit it out. You may as well make the most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

it's actually not that dramatic in terms of weather quite yet. it's a typical windy day with light rain. a few strong gusts that stir things up now and again, but for the most part it's pretty boring!

ugh, just found out the earliest flight I can get is 21:30 on November 2nd. UGHHHHHHHHHHH, somebody please swap places with me!! :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭Oarrack Bama

SUMMARY OF 200 PM EDT...1800 UTC...INFORMATION
    LOCATION...38.3N 73.1W
    ABOUT 110 MI...180 KM SE OF ATLANTIC CITY NEW JERSEY
    ABOUT 175 MI...285 KM SSE OF NEW YORK CITY
    MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...90 MPH...150 KM/H
    PRESENT MOVEMENT...NW OR 305 DEGREES AT 28 MPH...44 KM/H
    MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...940 MB...27.76 INCHES

That's about 10 mph faster movement. That would bring the center on shore 2 or 3 hours ahead of schedule which means before high tide by a good 2 or more hours. This could make a positive difference in terms of coastal flood impact and surge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

This is why I have no time for celebrities:

403446_10151074559182541_1274484762_n.jpg

PicardDoubleFacepalm-1.jpg?1316330080

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Just seen the first on location snow report on the weather channel. Just shows how dynamic this weather system is. Very wet snow which will bring down trees and power lines so West Virginia will certainly have it's own problems with over 2ft forecast in places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Power outage details here for New Hampshire: http://www.psnh.com/outage

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Looks like there are going to be a lot of people in trouble who decided to ride out the storm.

This pic is supposedly from Brigantine NJ, where a seawall has just gone.

https://twitter.com/BlogMadBetty/status/262920698077519872/photo/1

It looks like there are a lot of people left out there as well. There are loads of people like this all over NJ who did not evacuate even though they were told to do so.
    Officer Jim Bennett, director of emergency management for Brigantine, says: 70 percent of Brigantine’s 9,500 residents remained. (even after mandatory evacuation order)

http://brigantinenow.com/brigantine-evacuation-update-as-of-230pm-oct-27/#comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

What time is the storm due to hit Jersey Shore and Manhattan? (GMT)

3 to five hours from now the storm is accelerating and travelling at up to 30mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

Winds along jersey shore look pretty savage. Poor weatherman is getting a hiding.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

i heard 8pm eastern time, which i think is 2am GMT

geetar wrote: »
    i heard 8pm eastern time, which i think is 2am GMT

7online live now say 6pm much earlier :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

MMFF wrote: »
    Sick voyeuristic puppy ain't ya?

Banned for a Week

Advertisement