Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurricane Sandy Threatens To Slam Northeast U.S. Monday-Tuesday 29th-30th

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Rougies

geetar wrote: »
    i heard 8pm eastern time, which i think is 2am GMT

It WAS due to hit about 8pm (midnight GMT, they're still on daylight saving time so 4 hours behind), but it has accelerated recently and so looking like it will hit a couple of hours earlier, maybe about 6pm (10pm GMT)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

geetar wrote: »
    i heard 8pm eastern time, which i think is 2am GMT

4 hours difference this week, 5 normally - so 8pm would be 12am here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭cml387

It's almost exactly a week ago that this thread started with a pic of Sandy's possible east coast landfall.
    I still think it's an incredible feat of forecasting to have predicted this event so far out.
    We all hope that any loss of life will be limited (remembering those who have aleady lost their lives further south) but how much worse would it be without the work of meteoroligists?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

What time is the storm due to hit Jersey Shore and Manhattan? (GMT)

8.13pm EST (12.13am) for you?

Looks like the Manhattan is going to miss the main path.

Here's another pic from Brigantine

http://t.co/K8stNajT

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Funnel effect between high rise buildings increases wind speed by 40mph

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Our building was evacuated for a fire on the first floor. Fire fighters dealt with it quickly AND restored our power. Awesome.

well this hurricane sucks! still stuck in manhattan. on phone with delta (on hold) because my re-scheduled flight has also been cancelled with no optyions for future flights as of yet. me no likey :(

Just to let you know that power is being cut in Manhattan south of 34th street in order to protect equipment close to the river shores. The power companies are calling residents to warn them now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

cml387 wrote: »
    It's almost exactly a week ago that this thread started with a pic of Sandy's possible east coast landfall.
    I still think it's an incredible feat of forecasting to have predicted this event so far out.
    We all hope that any loss of life will be limited (remembering those who have aleady lost their lives further south) but how much worse would it be without the work of meteoroligists?
    there are lots of us with relatives there, hoping that they will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Crane bent in 2 in Midtown manhatten

Jesus. A funking crane just crashed out of the sky my street (57th). Here was me thinking that I was in zero danger.

Edit. I most is still attached. Just bits of metal on the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Rougies

Ponster wrote: »
    Just to let you know that power is being cut in Manhattan south of 34th street in order to protect equipment close to the river shores. The power companies are calling residents to warn them now.

Not necessarily, they said they will cut the power if (highly likely) the floodwater breaches the defenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

zerks wrote: »
    Pic from Hazys who posted it in the hurricane thread in AH,they live in Boston.

226249.jpg

That's what you get for being a tree hugger ;)

Watching that ABC live link someone posted (thanks btw), looks like this might actually be as bad as they expect :eek: Don't like the look of that crane hanging down on 57th street they were showing earlier.

Rougies wrote: »

Not necessarily, they said they will cut the power if (highly likely) the floodwater breaches the defenses.

True but the wording in today's call was more urgent than the warning that we got on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

I never use youtube to upload, so see if this works. this is central park from 101st and central park west.

http://youtu.be/2tGDbC4wJc4

• Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Didn't embed but works fine !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I never use youtube to upload, so see if this works. this is central park from 101st and central park west.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭JFKIRELAND

Jesus. A funking crane just crashed out of the sky my street (57th). Here was me thinking that I was in zero danger.

Hi Ponster,
    CNN have live footage of this now... http://www.justin.tv/2ndruntv_cnn#/w/4074013088/2
    JK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moneymad

U/D Manhattan: *2 Alarm* Box 916 at 157 West 57 St Crane is about the fall onto the street

679520533.jpg?key=640480&Expires=1351538123&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=RLlw~tVg1~ytqEYV9ZZa~BwqWxP~5m5K3SUCiqG9Umeem0cAkzOHGfhd~MYRacHonhpcicBKd7nhpz87O8hpyjhVj4YPtxmdh5WhTRsqr90abeVnO6k8t~iHsN13Iouk3j-ztjs6SKZLMt2A-kccEJhozQ8xpby3TikcdkX9dw0_

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,305 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just seen the crane partially collapsed in New York. Megyn Kelly was saying that she can see people walking up and down the street outside her studio. Madness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Pressure dropping fast at this bouy off nyc City 27.74 is 940mb and it is 1 inch above that.

Latest gust 62kt up from 48kt 2 hours back.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=ROBN4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moneymad

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

Very hard to put this into words without sounding like an asshole but I thoroughly enjoy watching these things unfold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,305 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I hope those reporters that are out in this weather get time off after this. They are being battered around from everything I've seen today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

Very hard to put this into words without sounding like an asshole but I thoroughly enjoy watching these things unfold.

Nothing wrong with being in awe at the raw power of nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Perfectly normal, it's certainly very interesting. It's just unfortunate that human tragedy often accompanies nature's raw power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Can someone help me understand why the gusts are so strong in Nashua, NH right now? We're miles from the storm, but the gusts have to be around 70 mph now, if not more. We have trees down all around me, and I've seen people fall over from the wind coming in from their cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Are you having to evacuate? I just heard on ABC that they're asking people in part of the area around the crane to get out now. I didn't catch the street numbers though. God speed if you are, and I'm not a bit religious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Anyone see the footage off the NJ coast of massive cruise ships attempting to ride the waves and troughs? Would be interested if anyone comes across footage of the US naval fleet riding out the storm in the Atlantic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

i'll try throw up another video later on when it picks up a bit more.

Went for breakfast earlier on there by the way, and one shop had around 16 pallets of bottled water stacked up outside! madness!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

[-0-] wrote: »
    Can someone help me understand why the gusts are so strong in Nashua, NH right now? We're miles from the storm, but the gusts have to be around 70 mph now, if not more.

Cild Canadian air mixing with the outer bands.

Advertisement