Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurricane Sandy Threatens To Slam Northeast U.S. Monday-Tuesday 29th-30th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Iancar29 wrote: »

Did someone say snow
    10" of snow reported at Newfound Gap, TN, near Gatlinburg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

bajer100 wrote: »
    So Chris Christie, Republican, who is probably favourite to become President in 2016, criticises a Democrat Mayor? Looks like he is already starting his campaign.

He did though, in the same speech, have wonderful things to say about Obama who called him personally. Obama said that if he got any trouble from FEMA that he was to call Obama directly on his mobile to get it sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭bajer100

Ponster wrote: »
    He did though, in the same speech, have wonderful things to say about Obama who called him personally. Obama said that if he got any trouble from FEMA that he was to call Obama directly on his mobile to get it sorted.

He's definitely campaigning then. Obama won't be an opponent in 2016. Obama will win this election at a canter and will have preside over a good four years. I just checked the betting and I was shocked to see that Christie is available at as high as 33/1 for the 2016 election. I would have thought that he was nearly a certainty.

Anyway - enough off-topic. Just heard from my ex in Greenville, NC. No probs there at all - and they're near enough the coast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭bajer100

Rougies wrote: »
    And add to that it's very same FEMA that Romney wants to get rid of.

Politics should go out the window when people's lives are at risk bajer100, the mayor of Atlantic City is an idiot and I'm glad he was called out as such. From an opposing party member or not is irrelevant.

Exactly - politics should indeed go out the window. But using this as an opportunity to score points against an opposing politician is very low. Christie wouldn't have made the same criticisms if the Mayor in question was a Republican. So who is the bigger offender? The Mayor who made an honest error of judgement- or Christie who made a very calculated attack, during a time of near national emergency? I am actually very surprised that Christie did this.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

2nd eyewall forming further north towards the 5 boroughs of New York , forcaster just announced on ABC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Wolfe_IRE

New York City harbour webcam. Turn down the sound before you click on this link! It's a little windy....http://aws1.earthcam.com/?c=liberty

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

U/D cmd rpts collapse to be a 4 sty 25x60 class 3 structure manhattan NYC 10011 BLDG COLLAPSE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

gbee wrote: »
    U/D cmd rpts collapse to be a 4 sty 25x60 class 3 structure manhattan NYC 10011 BLDG COLLAPSE

What's that mean??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

cyclops999 wrote: »
    NYFD securing scaffolding on the 23rd floor at scene of crane collapse
    FDNY even?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

del88 wrote: »

What's that mean??

It gives details of a four story building collapse in NY

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

The weather here outside Buffalo is definitely getting steadily worse. Wind and rain are definitely picking up and the temps are dropping fast

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

things sound like they are getting pretty hairy in NYC now. Things reaching a peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,008 ✭✭✭✭bnt

pad199207 wrote: »
    Is it over?
    For the inland counties, it's just starting. Even New York has yet to see the worst of the storm surge, with high tide still a few hours away. There's at least another day of heavy weather yet to come.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

It's now officially been renamed a post-tropical cyclone.
    POST-TROPICAL CYCLONE SANDY TROPICAL CYCLONE UPDATE
    NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL182012
    700 PM EDT MON OCT 29 2012

...SANDY BECOMES POST-TROPICAL...
    ...CENTER EXPECTED TO MAKE LANDFALL WITHIN THE NEXT HOUR OR SO...

SUMMARY OF 700 PM EDT...2300 UTC...INFORMATION
    LOCATION...39.1N 74.4W
    ABOUT 30 MI...50 KM ENE OF CAPE MAY NEW JERSEY
    ABOUT 20 MI...35 KM S OF ATLANTIC CITY NEW JERSEY
    MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...85 MPH...140 KM/H
    PRESENT MOVEMENT...WNW OR 300 DEGREES AT 28 MPH...44 KM/H
    MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...946 MB...27.93 INCHES

AS INDICATED IN THE 5 PM DISCUSSION...SATELLITE...RADAR...AND
    AIRCRAFT DATA INDICATE THAT SANDY HAS CONTINUED TO LOSE TROPICAL
    CHARACTERISTICS. NHC IS NOW DESIGNATING SANDY AS A POST-TROPICAL
    CYCLONE. IN ADDITION...THE MAXIMUM WINDS HAVE DECREASED SLIGHTLY
    AND ARE NOW NEAR 85 MPH...140 KM/H.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭FootShooter

Building facade fell out into the street, before and after pictures in article:

http://www.businessinsider.com/major-building-collapse-in-manhattan-at-8th-and-14th-street-2012-10

*This is the 4 story building collapse being reported by FDNY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Wicklow Weather

FDNY responding to report of a 4-story apartment building collapse in Chelsea, Manhattan. - @Hurricane Central @twc_hurricane

• Registered Users Posts: 36,155 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

''Sky News '' now we cross live to new york to a very wet Amanda Walker''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Live updates via Ham radio New Jersey http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?ctid=1771

• Advertisement

wind_umbrella.jpg

CNN reporter blown out to sea, may he rest in peace

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

^^^^
    Try this one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Nabber wrote: »
    ^^^^
    Try this one

You just know the resident Ollie in every TV station is out there.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Meanwhile, the Darwin Award must go to the captain of that ship Sea-land Mercury, which is STILL out there in the thick of it! Ballsy or stupid - you decide!

At 21Z it was southwest of the storm centre, just east of Elizabeth City, NC, reporting 52 knot winds, sea temperature of just 17 °C and an air temperature of only 10.5 °C, such is the cold air feeding into the storm now.

WKAW 29213 99364 70751 41396 82752 10105 20096 49835 50035 76366
    887// 22252 00170 2//// 3//// 4//// 5//// 6//// 80100
    ICE /////=

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Water levels rising dramatically in NYC, already above record highs some 1.5hrs before they will peak!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,032 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Con Ed(i pressume is a power company) is shutting off power in parts of lower manhattan.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Water levels rising dramatically in NYC, already above record highs some 1.5hrs before they will peak!

If they get an extra foot from the tide (as expected) and then possibly a three foot surge...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

It's madness. I feel kinda guilty being so totally fascinated by it that I've been stalking it online and on live video feeds all evening....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

Just back from a gig in town..the walkman a NYC band..I did assume if anything mad happened they would announce it.. a bad storm yes but I am getting a sense that not as bad as forecasted..so far at least..this webcam is back online the house survived:D

http://www.visitob.com/webcams/sea-ranch-kill-devil-hills/

knew i would regret those comments..its a beast but not a overly dangerous storm so far and very well forecasted but it has a long way to play

http://www.weather.com/news/weather-hurricanes/sandy-top-five-20121028

cause of the forecast..the snowfall and teh

Advertisement