Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurricane Sandy Threatens To Slam Northeast U.S. Monday-Tuesday 29th-30th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

You just know the resident Ollie in every TV station is out there.

It sure is!!!

487352_10151294693901718_388592276_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Jim on Weather Channel stream keeps trying to get the **** out of there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

FOX news just had their power cut off. I think they have switched to generator

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭JFKIRELAND

Su Campu wrote: »
    Meanwhile, the Darwin Award must go to the captain of that ship Sea-land Mercury, which is STILL out there in the thick of it! Ballsy or stupid - you decide!

At 21Z it was southwest of the storm centre, just east of Elizabeth City, NC, reporting 52 knot winds, sea temperature of just 17 °C and an air temperature of only 10.5 °C, such is the cold air feeding into the storm now.

WKAW 29213 99364 70751 41396 82752 10105 20096 49835 50035 76366
    887// 22252 00170 2//// 3//// 4//// 5//// 6//// 80100
    ICE /////=

Standard heavy weather tactics, Su. Safer for large ships to stay out to sea and face the winds making little progress, but keeping steerage. I would not say ballsy, standard tactics in a not so standard storm - No other real options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

MJohnston wrote: »
    Jim on Weather Channel stream keeps trying to get the **** out of there.
    Ya he just kept saying "I'll have to get my crew out of here, already at hurricane Irene levels!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

This guy is live streaming from I think the western edge of lower manhattan - his apartment is flooding as we speak!
    http://www.ustream.tv/occupiedair

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Bigus

notnumber wrote: »
    Just back from a gig in town..the walkman a NYC band..I did assume if anything mad happened they would announce it.. a bad storm yes but I am getting a sense that not as bad as forecasted..so far at least..this webcam is back online the house survived:D

http://www.visitob.com/webcams/sea-ranch-kill-devil-hills/

Yeah but that's much further south than landfall and the winds wear blowing offshore.

rc28 wrote: »
    This guy is live streaming from I think the western edge of lower manhattan - his apartment is flooding as we speak!

I lasted 10 seconds on that, guy seems like a moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,154 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

rc28 wrote: »

Going up in smoke now,
    Water on floor, electricity on, AHHHHH!!

For anyone interested here's the water levels at the battery http://tidesonline.noaa.gov/plotcomp.shtml?station_info=8518750+The+Battery,+NY+&flag=0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

MJohnston wrote: »
    If they get an extra foot from the tide (as expected) and then possibly a three foot surge...

At The Battery it is already @ 12.54 feet, breaking the all time record there of 11.2 feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

JFKIRELAND wrote: »
    Standard heavy weather tactics, Su. Safer for large ships to stay out to sea and face the winds making little progress, but keeping steerage. I would not say ballsy, standard tactics in a not so standard storm - No other real options.

The reports are stating that they're still making around 10 knots progress though.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

after 9 hours of following this on abc7/twitter/weatherchannel/boards etc etc I'm going to have to call it a night :(

14foot storm surge now expected in lower Manhattan as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Hurricane hasn't actually made landfall yet has it?!.....

Smoke in the apartment too! :eek:

Those guys are mad?! Something's burning, they reckon its electrical and she tells him to plug stuff out? It's electricity for Petes sake"! Get the hell out and call the firebrigade from somewhere safer?! I do not understand people who do things like this!

Apparently storm is over, Some guy just yelled out to sea ''ah here leave it out,leave it bleeding out ,,ah here''

Saves the day, all is well again,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭Lirange

Smoke in the apartment too! :eek:

Strike up the Deep Purple.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

BREAKING: 30-year-old man found dead apparently trapped underneath tree inside his home 166 Street in New York City - WNBC

http://live.nydailynews.com/Event/Tracking_Hurricane_Sandy_2

Is that the first casualty in NY?

• Advertisement

leahyl wrote: »

It's now a post-tropical cyclone. Weather Channel stream said they're waiting on landfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭JuanJose

I've seen it all now. A guy who is (a) streaming live as his house is flooded and (b) asking where the beer is & tobacco is. Good to see their priorities are right....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Those guys are mad?! Something's burning, they reckon its electrical and she tells him to plug stuff out? It's electricity for Petes sake"! Get the hell out and call the firebrigade from somewhere safer?! I do not understand people who do things like this!
    Agreed, it is utter stupidity, personal safety comes first, to hell with clothes, TVs, material things, so long as everyone is safe, it is far, far more important.

I watched it for about a minute and then gave up, couldn't watch another second of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Pressure is rising again in Atlantic City so the center must be after passing, or the whole storm is weakening.

It didn't actually make it to land as a Hurricane or Tropical Storm in the end, try as it might.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

according to weather channel Sandy just made landfall 5 miles south of atlantic city

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

after 9 hours of following this on abc7/twitter/weatherchannel/boards etc etc I'm going to have to call it a night :(

14foot storm surge now expected in lower Manhattan as well!

Lightweight ;) This is merely easy training for the 48 hour snow watches coming soon here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Yeah just now leahyl

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Lower Manhattan at 13.2 feet and still rising, last read @ 0z

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

the weather channels live feed on youtube

• Advertisement

Good test for the sky scrapers, I for one would not like to be on top floor of empire state building,
    the movement must be scary!

Advertisement