Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurricane Sandy Threatens To Slam Northeast U.S. Monday-Tuesday 29th-30th

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Surge levels finally dropping. Peak 13.88 Feet.

I'd say the NYSE could trade through 3 foot of viscous shíte and hungry crocodiles hidden in it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Footage of flooding Brooklyn battery tunnel.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50134146n

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I'd say the NYSE could trade through 3 foot of viscous shíte and hungry crocodiles hidden in it. :D

Chances are it would be the - even the saltwater ones - crocodiles who'd be fleeing scared :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Hmmm
    Michael van Poppel ‏@mpoppel
    RT @morningmoneyben: NYSE official tells me reports of water on the floor of the Exchange are FALSE.

(Michael van Poppel - President & founder of BNO News. Also founder of @breakingnews, now owned by MSNBC.com.
    http://www.bnonews.com)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Just walked outside and barely a breeze out there now...it's very strange!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭FootShooter

kmart6 wrote: »

Could be the eye passing over!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

kmart6 wrote: »

Keep Safe kmart6!

FOXNY saying the water level has peaked and will be receding from now on. Slowly.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Good article here of the overall consensus of the POSSIBILITY of Sandy morphing with a strong polar front and turing into a the " Perfect Storm"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/post/monster-east-coast-storm-next-week-or-big-miss/2012/10/22/94bc2152-1c72-11e2-9cd5-b55c38388962_blog.html?tid=sm_btn_reddit&socialreader_check=0&denied=1

Just want to say, well done Washington Post. Got it spot on a week ago.

NYU Hospital without power, their back-up generators are not working. Starting to transport patients.

EDIT: Stock exchange NOT under water. That story of it being under 3 feet of floodwater in now being reported as false.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

dacogawa wrote: »
    Keep Safe kmart6!
    In a bar...now, safest place!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Just want to say, well done Washington Post. Got it spot on a week ago.

Well done Washinton Post? Are you serious?

I'd say well done to the hundreds of thousands of meteorologists, physicists, engineers, mathematicians and everyone else involved over the past 100 years or so to make this kind of prediction possible in the first place.

I suppose they did alright picking up on the story though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Have only had time to read last four pages, apologies for any repeated info ...

Sandy probably become post-tropical at 22z (meaning 2200h GMT and your time) as it approached landfall around 2300h at Atlantic City NJ. Winds there briefly dropped from N 40-60 mph to S 10-20 mph then picked up again to SSW 30-50 mph. Much stronger winds continue to howl in the circulation a bit further out from the centre (which dropped to 937 mbs before landfall then started to fill so that now I estimate it is 949 mbs between Atlantic City and PHL).

The strongest gusts on land seem to be in north-central NJ and the south shore of Long Island to JFK, then this very strong wind field is broken up by the high rise buildings of central NY into a very hit or miss swirling effect so that you'll read accounts of very little wind here, very strong winds there. Would imagine anyone above 30-50 storeys facing east is taking a battering from 80-100 mph winds at that elevation.

Mount Washington NH, well outside the main storm zone, currently reports east winds of 110 mph gusting to 130 mph and rain, 3 C. This indicates how windy it probably is near summits of lesser hills and mountains between Long Island Sound and the White Mountains (where Mt Washington is located). I estimate without any data available that summits of Berkshires are probably seeing east winds of 90 gusting 120.

The very strong winds will continue to abate very slowly in waves as the storm fills but at the same time exposes certain locations to remnants of its strongest circulation. I have seen reports of widespread gusts to 80 mph in southern parts of metro NYC and there's probably another swath of similar gust speeds inland from Long Island Sound across the Bronx into NJ. In between there might be somewhat of a windshadow effect but you have to figure that in Manhattan where half the city is 30 storeys and above, the surface street level winds can be quite variable.

Storm surge is obviously the huge story with Sandy. We are going to hear some dramatic and possibly devastating outcomes from places in NJ, LI and CT that may not be making a lot of contact with news media right now. I am particularly concerned with conditions likely to have developed between Atlantic City and Asbury Park NJ having heard earlier that Seaside Heights NJ has severe flooding as one example. People should be prepared for the possibility of hearing of mass damage and casualties, I hope not on casualties, damage seems inevitable to rise into the billions.

It may be the case that storm surge will prove to be 1-3 feet above predicted but the main problem was that about half the affected residents chose either not to believe the warnings, or chose to stay to ride it out knowing what they faced, perhaps in some cases just having no economic options. This will no doubt turn out to be very bad, but far from unpredicted, there were very clear statements of 10-15 feet storm surges and then you have the obvious potential of the strong winds to drive waves along on top of that.

Back to data mining, and other activities. If you're in America reading this, good luck and stay safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭j.mcdrmd

Ponster wrote: »
    It's weird out there now. It can be calm for 1 minute and then suddenly gust like crazy.

Streets are empty. Bars still full.

I'm up on 57th street and if it wasn't for the telly then you'd just think that was a windy day.
    It was like that post 9/11 too, there was a lack of information on the ground, you would walk into a shop/restaurant/bar and all seemed to be fine, if you weren't getting info from another source. Everyone else had more information than the people in the people in the middle of it.

It always makes me nervous when tunnels and bridges are closed.

Alert declared at Oyster Creek nuclear power plant in NJ due to rising water.

edit:

http://www.bnowire.com/inbox/?id=1271
    An Alert is the second lowest of four NRC action levels. The Alert was preceded by an
    Unusual Event, declared at approximately 7 p.m. EDT when the water level first reached a
    minimum high water level criteria. Water level is rising in the intake structure due to a
    combination of a rising tide, wind direction and storm surge. It is anticipated water levels will
    begin to abate within the next several hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Best wishes to all boardsies and people affected by this. Hope your all keeping safe through this. Thoughts go out to you all

CONEY ISLAND HOSPITAL ON FIRE. NYU HOSPITAL EVACUATED. BELLEVUE HOSPITAL ALSO LOSING BACKUP POWER

edit:
    FDNY says its units are on the scene at Coney Island Hospital but no confirmed fire at this time.
    According to FDNY Bellevue Hospital lost power and has one hour of generator power left, Evacuation in progress

There will be a bit of an inquiry into the state of emergency generators when this is over I reckon.

Regarding the nuclear power plant
    No plans to shut Oyster Creek plant and water levels expected to abate later - US nuclear authority

Sandy still packing near 75 mph winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

Winds got going here from around 1-9pm, then died down and now calm. Lost power for 3hrs so not so bad all told. Trip to Salem tmrw isbback on! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Synoptic analysis at 0300 UTC (From NOAA)

296oh0x.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Rougies wrote: »
    Lightweight ;) This is merely easy training for the 48 hour snow watches coming soon here :)

haha I've had a rough weekend and work comes early at 8am lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Sandy will get confined history:

14 reported deaths US East Coast
    67 reported deaths on its trip there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Zoom 10-30-2012 3:26 EDT | NYC | QUEENS | 6TH ALARM+ | BEACH 208TH ST | U/D CMD RPTS 50 HOUSES DESTROYED. FD FIGHTING 10 FULLY INVOLVED DWELLINGS. 6TH ALARM STRUCK | UEA01

gbee wrote: »
    Sandy will get confined history:

14 reported deaths US East Coast
    67 reported deaths on its trip there.

It's not the deaths that will go down in history, it's the cost of the damage that will be remembered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

dolanbaker wrote: »

It's not the deaths that will go down in history, it's the cost of the damage that will be remembered.

But of the deaths, the bigger toll in the Caribbean will not be remembered. That's the way things are unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Merkin wrote: »

For some reason I find this one of the most poignant of all the photos I've seen so far. RIP the Captain and crew member and Bounty herself. :(

bounty.jpg
    The HMS Bounty, which featured in the recent "Pirates of the Caribbean" films, sank in the Atlantic Ocean during Hurricane Sandy. The Coast Guard rescued 14 crew members by helicopter. The body of one crew member was recovered, but the ship's captain is still missing.

Su Campu wrote: »
    But of the deaths, the bigger toll in the Caribbean will not be remembered. That's the way things are unfortunately.

I think you're wrong here. When this has ended the death toll that will be connected with Sandy will be the total number of deaths caused by it, not the number from just one place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Thrill wrote: »
    I think you're wrong here. When this has ended the death toll that will be connected with Sandy will be the total number of deaths caused by it, not the number from just one place.

I think he means in the media, not in the official statistics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Power station transformer goes on fire then explodes..

@ 3.00

Advertisement