Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurricane Sandy Threatens To Slam Northeast U.S. Monday-Tuesday 29th-30th

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭eddiem10

^^^

Sad.......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

I like how people are denying the damage this hurricane has caused. you people silly!

I'm uploading pics to photobucket, just from my block on 101 and central park west. (well, two blocks really), but still check them out!

You have more photos right? All I see after this "superstorm" are a few knocked over trees and a bicycle which toppled over.

Where Im from in Scotland, its so windy that there are NO trees at all, they simply cannot get a hold as they are blown over before they get a chance to root themselves in.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

You have more photos right? All I see after this "superstorm" are a few knocked over trees and a bicycle which toppled over.

Where Im from in Scotland, its so windy that there are NO trees at all, they simply cannot get a hold as they are blown over before they get a chance to root themselves in.

My storm is bigger than your storm?

Sheesh........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Most of the damage from this hurricane is not from the wind it's from the flooding. I would have figured that would be obvious, but obviously not.

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    My storm is bigger than your storm?

Sheesh........

We dont see it as a storm, its just a way of life. Thats why the walls in our houses are about 6-8 foot thick. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 torrential1

Such scenes of utter devestation... how will they ever replace that wooden ice cream stall in Atlantic City?..............

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Well as far as I'm concerned I have no power, no phone, no Internet and the subway is sure to be closed for another few days yet (PATH to Jersey won't be open for 10 days). But I'm in Zone B and pretty safe. From my window it just looked like a really bad storm but that's because it wasn't the wind that caused the damage but flooding seawater (which I couldn't get close to last night as the cops had downtown blocked off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 torrential1

[-0-] wrote: »
    People claiming this is over hyped are idiots. This will end up costing more than Katrina as it will cost over 10 billion per day to the economy and won't be sorted out for a while. My friend's apartments are destroyed and if they heard some of the tripe being spouted here they'd smack the crap out of you for being such an idiot.

No they wouldnt smack the crap out of me because if they started giving me any lip or aggro I would batter them with a baseball ball bat...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

Ponster wrote: »
    Well as far as I'm concerned I have no power, no phone, no Internet and the subway is sure to be closed for another few days yet (PATH to Jersey won't be open for 10 days). But I'm in Zone B and pretty safe. From my window it just looked like a really bad storm but that's because it wasn't the wind that caused the damage but flooding seawater (which I couldn't get close to last night as the cops had downtown blocked off.

.... something isn't adding up here...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

.... something isn't adding up here...

USB tethering my mobile to my PC (but only about 2 hours of battery left so back to work for me rather than wasting my volts on Boards) :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

if they heard some of the tripe being spouted here they'd smack the crap out of you for being such an idiot.

free-fighting-smileys-365.gif

Classifying a storm based on its economic impact, rather that what was (or may have been) meteorologically, is not really the same thing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Su Campu wrote: »
    See, there's my point illustrated. The Caribbean souls have been forgotten.....

I think the close relationship between Ireland and the USA particularly the north east of the USA is another factor. that and of course the major media coverage just like 9/11 that such an even gets when it affects such a large populated area like New York.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

free-fighting-smileys-365.gif

Classifying a storm based on its economic impact, rather that what was (or may have been) meteorologically, is not really the same thing at all.

And saying it was over hyped because cars were not flying through the air is idiotic. It was a BABY hurricane, class 1 and only class 1 for a short amount of time. The damage is significant, however. It was also the largest on record, circumference-wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

... It was also the largest on record, circumference-wise.

Was it bigger than Typhoon tip?
    It used to hold the record i think.

Typhoonsizes.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

We dont see it as a storm, its just a way of life. Thats why the walls in our houses are about 6-8 foot thick. ;)

See this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

See, there's my point illustrated. The Caribbean souls have been forgotten.....

I think if I were to post what I had already typed out I'd get carded. But, the short version is that in our world it is more newsworthy that 33 people are killed in USA/Canada by the same event compared to less developed countries. Add to the fact that a lot of the news organisations are based in or closely linked to USA/Canada, surely this cannot be surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

I think this thread is beginning to fill up with trolls at this stage, but to answer some points hopefully.

Weather sometimes is a subjective issue and causes impacts on different geographical areas with differing results, especially when it differs from the norm. You can look at the data and say that this was not a bad storm, but you don't really know the impacts unless you are local to an area.

60 - 70mph winds in Donegal from a storm coming from a westerly direction, although damaging would be considered a normal storm, however if those winds were to come from an unusual storm that was moving from east to west it could be a different matter. As all housing and protections would be built to withstand storms from a westerly direction moving. In such events you might here locals talk about a hugely damaging storm, where in fact wind speeds might not differ from a normal event.

Sandy, was unusual in that it was following a typical Hurricane path, missing landfall with North Carolina, as it turned North-east, normally at this stage a hurricane would follow the warm waters of the gulf stream and head off into the Atlantic.

In this case the huge ridge of high pressure blocked its path out, then the trough coming out of Canada 'captured it' pulling it North-West straight into NJ, NY coast from a very unusual direction, with winds pushing straight water straight up the coast creating maximum impact from the storm surge.

If a hurricane/tropical/post tropical storm arrives at New York it usually follows a more typical path of making landfall around North Carolina, and keeps pushing north, weakening while over land as it goes, before turning more North-East and curving back out to the Atlantic.

In Sandys case there is data to show that the Tidal surge broke many records along with lowest pressure records falling in some areas, so this event will become historic from meteorological point of view in certain respects. Human cost depends on many other factors so that remains to be seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Spindle wrote: »
    I think this thread is beginning to fill up with trolls at this stage, .

Absolutely it is.

Personally I was disappointed that that nuclear plant didn't have a thermonuclear detonation and the entire East Coast incinerated in a blinding flash and killing 3 trillion, billion, zillion.

I trust when the mods clean up, they'll take this one too ... ")

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Spindle wrote: »
    I think this thread is beginning to fill up with trolls at this stage

Was that aimed at me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I think when the dust settles and the NHC do their post-analysis they will state that it lost tropical characteristics earlier than stated last night. I said yesterday that it really wasn't a proper tropical system over the weekend, neither on satellite imagery, radar patterns or surface analysis. No proper CDO, a large windfield displaced from the centre, cold air inflow and poor convective symmetry would point more towards a sub-tropical system. Upper analysis also showed no upper high above the storm, with low heights right up to 250 hPa.

I would imagine that they will argue that had they downgraded it earlier then it would have led to complacency, so it will be interesting to see what they say in their report. I think it will be like Hurricane Charlie here, people still say we were hit by a hurricane when in fact it was just a normal storm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I think when the dust settles and the NHC do their post-analysis they will state that it lost tropical characteristics earlier than stated last night. I said yesterday that it really wasn't a proper tropical system over the weekend, neither on satellite imagery, radar patterns or surface analysis. No proper CDO, a large windfield displaced from the centre, cold air inflow and poor convective symmetry would point more towards a sub-tropical system. Upper analysis also showed no upper high above the storm, with low heights right up to 250 hPa.

I would imagine that they will argue that had they downgraded it earlier then it would have led to complacency, so it will be interesting to see what they say in their report. I think it will be like Hurricane Charlie here, people still say we were hit by a hurricane when in fact it was just a normal storm.

I think NHC aren't saying it was tropical when it hit land, however don't say that to Joe Bastardi.

Definitely had lost its characteristics at landfall but 12 hours previous it still appeared to have a deep convective core.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I know, they downgraded it to post-tropical a couple of hours before landfall, but for me it should have been done 24 hours before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Am seriously impressed with the weather models that picked this up and forecasted the track so accurately.
    And the emergency planners around New York in particular that there were such low casualties.

The damage I've seen in photos today is unreal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Wolfe_IRE

SANDY DEBUNKED:
    Sandy is not the strongest hurricane north of Cape Hatteras.
    A near-record low barometric pressure occurred with Sandy offshore Monday afternoon. The pressure bottomed at 27.76 inches. For a storm north of Cape Hatteras, N.C., Hurricane Gladys of 1977 holds the record at 27.73 inches. Gladys was a Category 4 hurricane which remained off the coast of the U.S.
    HIGHEST RAINFALL TOTALS BY STATE:
    Andrews AFB, Md.: 15.3" (unconfirmed)
    Easton, Md.: 12.55"
    Wildwood Crest, N.J.: 11.67"
    Virginia Beach, Va.: 9.57"
    Milford, Del.: 9.55"
    Maysville, W.Va.: 7.75"
    Hanover, Pa.: 7.61"
    Washington, D.C.: 5.44"
    Lorain, Ohio: 4.29"
    East Milton, Mass.: 3.03"
    Jaffrey, N.H.: 3.83"
    Niagara Falls, N.Y.: 3.02"
    HIGHEST WIND GUSTS BY STATE (>74 mph):
    Eatons Neck, N.Y.: 94 mph
    Montclair, N.J.: 88 mph
    Westerly, R.I.: 86 mph
    Madison, Conn.: 85 mph
    Cuttyhunk, Mass.: 83 mph
    Allentown, Pa.: 81 mph
    Highland Beach, Md.: 79 mph
    Chester Gap, Va.: 79 mph
    HIGHEST SNOW AMOUNTS BY STATE:
    Redhouse, Md.: 26"
    Bowden, W.Va.: 24"
    Champion, Pa.: 13"
    Newfound Gap, N.C.: 22"
    Wise, Va.: 24"
    Mt. Leconte, Tenn.: 20"
    Payne Gap, Ky.: 14"
    Bellefontaine, Ohio: 3.5"
    POWER OUTAGES: 7.4 million
    By comparison, Hurricane Ike had 7.5 million over his entire path.
    TOP WAVES:
    39.67 feet (Buoy #41048)
    TOP STORM SURGES:
    The Battery, N.Y.: ~9 feet above normal
    Kings Point, N.Y.: ~12.5 feet above normal
    New Haven, Conn.: ~9 feet above normal
    RECORD LOWEST PRESSURE (ON LAND):
    Atlantic City, N.J.: 945.5 mb (27.92" Hg)
    Philadelphia, Pa.: 953mb (28.23" Hg)
    Harrisburg, Pa.: 963mb (28.46" Hg)
    Scranton, Pa.: 971mb (28.69" Hg)
    Trenton, N.J.: 958mb (28.31" Hg)
    Baltimore, Md.: 965mb (28.49" Hg)
    Harrisburg, Pa.: 964mb (28.46" Hb)

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/sandy-statistics-rain-wind-snow/876665

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

And saying it was over hyped because cars were not flying through the air is idiotic. It was a BABY hurricane, class 1 and only class 1 for a short amount of time. The damage is significant, however. It was also the largest on record, circumference-wise.

I am not denying that in had a big impact and I agree that it was a dangerous system, but as a meteorological feature, it was over hyped, which I don't think makes me an idiot.

BTW, what is a 'baby hurricane'?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭Storm 10

So sad on the people in Queens 90 houses coinfirmed burnt to the ground, fire service could not get there due deep flooding and when they did they could not locate the fire hydrants due to the flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

I know, they downgraded it to post-tropical a couple of hours before landfall, but for me it should have been done 24 hours before that.

It was still intensifying over the gulf stream with around 16 hours out from landfall though?

It looked like a partial eye wall was visible at the time as well.

It may not have been a hurricane then but it still looked tropical, feeding off the warmer SST. As soon as it moved off the warmer SSTs it began to fill in very quickly into the storm that did hit as a more typical nor'easter. Just got to the that type of storm in a different way than normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I am not denying that in had a big impact and I agree that it was a dangerous system, but as a meteorological feature, it was over hyped, .

I would disagree, it was pretty much as expected, threatened to defy the laws of physics for a while and dropped more water and had higher winds for its location and track than predicted.

It now has about 100 deaths associated with it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

404348_133781383437726_376513718_n.jpg

On Fox & Sky News last night they were discussing how the storm lost it's centre due to cold air from the north being sucked in by it.It hit the coast like a wall instead of a 'traditional' hurricane/tropical storm.Rather than losing strength it gained some.

• Advertisement

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    See this

Thats more like it. Quite sad, but still nothing like I expected it to be.

The first photo showing the aerial view of the NY cabs doesnt even look real to me, more like some CGI.

Advertisement