Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurricane Sandy Threatens To Slam Northeast U.S. Monday-Tuesday 29th-30th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Thats more like it. Quite sad, but still nothing like I expected it to be.

The first photo showing the aerial view of the NY cabs doesnt even look real to me, more like some CGI.

If the airport was open maybe you could fly to NY & have a look for yourself.I'm sure the residents would be delighted to hear you tell them it wasn't that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

The first photo showing the aerial view of the NY cabs doesnt even look real to me, more like some CGI.

I don't know, the reflections look well spot on but that discolouration in the top right corner looks bit fishy but it could be diesel floating about..?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

It's all about the surge. Without the coastal flooding, this would have been a nasty mess of downed trees and power outages mostly in suburban areas. The winds were strong enough but in midtown NYC the wind impacts tend to be felt much higher up.

The sea level pressure was remarkable in the region although a similar reading was taken from a much sparser grid that existed (especially offshore) in the 1938 hurricane (which was stronger where it hit but that mostly east of NYC). Records from a hurricane in 1821 suggest similar storm surges or just below.

The main impact yet to be fully reported seems to be on the New Jersey barrier islands. That was a disaster waiting to happen, and now it has. News on that will probably be slow to come in. Have to post and run.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

The picture of the cabs are real, have seen others of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

kmart6 wrote: »
    The picture of the cabs are real,

Don't bother, mum's the word

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

gbee wrote: »
    Don't bother, mum's the word

eh?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

A few of these wouldve came in handy!

hightaxi.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Actually they are all brand new cabs as you can see the wires for the roof lights are taped down, I saw them on CNN from different level they were in a factory yard, I cannot believe the rubbish that is being posted here its beyond belief, maybe because its America.:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

Originally Posted by Deep Easterlyviewpost.gif
    I am not denying that in had a big impact and I
    agree that it was a dangerous system, but as a meteorological feature, it
    was over hyped, .

With comments like that Deep Easterly in my opinion you have lost all credibility, a low of 940 :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Can't believe some of the comments in here tonight. How anyone can say this wasn't as bad as expected is beyond me. Hundreds if not thousands of people made homeless, billions of dollars worth of property damage, and nigh on a hundred or so people dead. Of course you're not going to get pictures of the real serious stuff. Most people would be too busy either panicking or trying to get to safety to stop and take snaps. I don't usually throw my two-pence worth in, I'm more of a lurker, but it kinda got my back up. Just had a read through the forum on the American weather forums. Some awful stories on there, definitely sounds like those on the ground thought it was "as expected" if not worse.

Meteorologically speaking I know there are debates and discussions which are all perfectly valid, but you kinda know I'm not talking about those boardsies.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I too am shocked at the opinion that this was not a dramatic event. Boards was discussing this storm 3-4 days ago, it was already shaping up to be a dramatic meteorological event. The financial/human/cultural/political impact has not even been assessed yet and we know it will go down in the annals of history for this region.
    Spindle wrote: »
    Reports the the New York Stock Exchange has been flooded, that will spook markets!
    Well there sandbag barrier looked pretty pathetic earlier.....about 1 foot high. Photos were in the Irish papers today.
    Not that any height is fully safe in conditions like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,008 ✭✭✭✭bnt

No, it's not over yet:

sandy_oct30.jpg

(10am EDT / 2PM GMT today)

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

It's funny the way that people think that the situation is over and they are inspecting the damage done in New York and New Jersey only. The storm is over Pennsylvania and could be hitting Toronto tomorrow. Don't focus on the financial hub of the world but the towns that are on Sandy's path.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Not sure if this link has been posted yet..

Forecasters absolutely nailed this one - http://blog.chron.com/sciguy/2012/10/forecasters-absolutely-nailed-this-one/

Also a question, how come the European Model was the one that predicted the correct path and not the NHC one (if that even exists)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

Airports took some hit

Picture is La Guardia Airport

Well done MT for being spot on with your forecast

http://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/flyfaaindex.jsp?ARPT=ewr&p=0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

A few of these wouldve came in handy!

hightaxi.jpg

yes, yes they would have...

o-SANDY-AFTERMATH-TAXI-CABS-SUBMERGED-570.jpg?4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

So many shocking videos coming in now, some areas really seem to have been destroyed e.g.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sRAdgh9VH0o

This one shows three large trees falling in quick succession: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6kGvLnboLoM#!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭Lirange

Su Campu wrote: »
    See, there's my point illustrated. The Caribbean souls have been forgotten.....

It's not the loss of life that has triggered interest in this event. It's the power of nature and what it's capable of that has attracted the interest of outsiders. In addition to the fact that many people have personal connections to the areas affected.

Most of those killed in the Caribbean were from Haiti (51 deceased). Although the loss of life is tragic it's not on the scale of other disasters. When Haiti had the earthquake it drew loads of media attention, especially in the US, where massive relief and volunteer efforts were made. In that case the death toll (and homeless) were a big aspect of the story and it did receive media attention. It was more a story of tragedy whereas this is a story about the power of mother nature ... from the POV of the media. It wasn't the fascination with seismology that drew interest there. Unlike an earthquake huge storm events can be predicted. So it attracts a large following and has a big build up because you can watch and track events as they unfold. It's much easier to do this from the vantage point of a first world media centre like the US/NYC than from an impoverished country like Haiti.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Omg, it's going to take a lot more than just a few days to get the subways back up and running, they have an insane amount of pumping to get done first If you look at this video from about 1:10 onwards you can see that the actual tunnels are completely submerged to the extent that the waters go up onto the next floor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_Xkdv0H31d8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Death toll for the US has reached the 40 mark and over 100 overall for Sandy.

One of the worst Atlantic storms in years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Here's a picture of Sandy superimposed on Europe:

Jxyof.jpg

Sandy would've caused serious weather from Prague to Dublin, to say it's not a big deal compared to stuff we've had here is....well just look at the feckin thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Lirange wrote: »
    It's not the loss of life that has triggered interest in this event. It's the power of nature and what it's capable of that has attracted the interest of outsiders.

Thats not all that interested people.

New York City, an iconic city. We have watched countless movies destroy it. It is the pinnacle of American construction. Like it or not, it what it is. People wanted to see what would happen. Not only that, it was always going to be well documented by the denizens. Tweets, videos, pictures ect ect.

We know nature is powerful, but if this had of swung towards the Azores, it would have been just another storm for all but the weather buffs.

America and Europe don't care about the deaths in Caribbean. If we did it would fill our news papers and news channels.
    Rarely if ever hear RTE talk about deaths from Hurricanes until they come close to US boarders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭fionnsda

attachment.php?attachmentid=493479&d=1351549851

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Mech1

I spent last night monitoring NYPD and NYFD via online radio scanner and anyone that says this was a "storm in a cup" or "not as big as hyped" is sorely mistaken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Chicken1 wrote: »
    With comments like that Deep Easterly in my opinion you have lost all credibility, a low of 940 :mad:

Yes, but why was this storm considered to be a 'superstorm'? Such a term sounds just a bit too Hollywood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Anyone that thinks that this was a small event or that it was overhypede is very much mistaken. Thankfully only a small number of lives were lost but the damage the storm surge has done is going to have major repercussions for the US and global economies. Whole swathes of the NY underground rail system are going to be shut now for some time - that alone is going to cost them many billions of dollars, not to talk of the hit insurance companies are going to take. this is really going to hit a US economy that is trying to recover and is borrowing a lot of money at the same time. It could be the straw that ends up breaking Obama's back even though he is doing what he can in these circumstances.
    So saying this wasnt the event it was "hyped" up to be is very wide of the mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Yes, but why was this storm considered to be a 'superstorm'? Such a term sounds just a bit too Hollywood.

I followed, all the news services. The Weather Channel coined the phrase superstorm and advised that they were going to call it a hurricane [after it wasn't] as the average person watching the event and potentially being effected by it would perhaps not take the storm seriously and not take action, many did not anyway.

They were more concerned with advising people of the danger and the continued danger rather than the systematics of the storm for weather enthusiasts.

I'm sure they will make no apology for that. And I'm confident there are people alive today because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

The head of the MTA when he was speaking a few hours before the storm hit said that he hoped they wouldn't have to shut down the system completely because if they did it could take a month before it could reopen because once they'd completed clean up, every nut, bolt and screw on every inch of track and equipment they have would have to be checked and double-checked before it could reopen.

I also remember hearing some NY official years ago saying, this was before zero tolerance though and modern communication systems, that it would only take 48 hours of no electricity and food shortages to turn NY into something resembling that film, Escape from New York.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

The head of the MTA when he was speaking a few hours before the storm hit said that he hoped they wouldn't have to shut down the system completely because if they did it could take a month before it could reopen because once they'd completed clean up, every nut, bolt and screw on every inch of track and equipment they have would have to be checked and double-checked before it could reopen.

I also remember hearing some NY official years ago saying, this was before zero tolerance though and modern communication systems, that it would only take 48 hours of no electricity and food shortages to turn NY into something resembling that film, Escape from New York.

I'd agree with that last bit - but that would probably mean the whole city rather than swathes of it. Wouldnt take long for looting and riots to break out in some areas and then spread like was seen with the riots in London last summer.

Advertisement