Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurricane Sandy Threatens To Slam Northeast U.S. Monday-Tuesday 29th-30th

Options
1242526272830»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Got this email from my uncle just a short time ago...

The cleanup continues..

" Still without power but I do have the generator rigged up to our furnace and well so we have water and heat. It is getting colder so that's good. I have been out and about and there are a lot of big trees down, with utility crews everywhere repairing lines as ast as they safey can. It will be a while before we and others get our power back. Fuel for the generator is now an issue and requires joing long queues. I spent 4 hrs in line on Thursday. Some photos "

227102.jpeg

227099.jpeg

227100.jpeg

Crazy stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

If I was there all I'd need would be some fuel for my chainsaw.I'd be lovely & toasty for the rest of the Winter with all those trees down.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

zerks wrote: »

Evelyn Cusack mentioned it today during the farming forecast & said that it looks like it could hit us on 13 November.By that forecast she gave an extremely deep depression.Maybe M.T could shed more light on this coming storm.

Well it's a long way off, but the ECM does show leftovers of that nor'easter getting ramped up in the North Atlantic and heading in our general direction. But its really too far away to be looking at in terms of this part of the world. It could just as easily get absorbed up around Greenland.

oeXZ0.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

That storm is winding up nicely off the New York coast this evening. Ship C6JS is reporting 52 knot (estimated) winds, 7 m waves and a pressure of 999.7 hPa. Snow is now falling in much of NY, NJ and MS.

PYAA06.jpg

JFK TAF calls for gusts to 50 kts later tonight. Does anyone have any idea what "SNPL" in the metar means? I've never encountered it before and there is no reference to it in the official WMO guidelines. BLSN would be blowing snow.
    TAF KJFK 071733Z 0718/0824 02027G38KT 3SM -RASN OVC015
    TEMPO 0718/0721 1SM -RASNPL OVC008 FM072100 36030G46KT
    1SM -SNRA BR SCT004 OVC008 FM072300 36033G50KT 1SM -SN
    BR SCT003 OVC007
    TEMPO 0800/0804 1SM -SNPL FM080400 35025G42KT 3SM -SNRA
    BR SCT008 OVC015 FM081200 34023G34KT P6SM SCT015 BKN030
    TEMPO 0812/0816 4SM -RASN FM081600 33020G30KT P6SM SCT030
    BKN050=

EDIT: Found it. SNPL means Snow and Ice Pellets (i.e. Sleet in the US)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Ice Pellets is a much better word than sleet for todays weather. While it was possible to get outside during Sandy to take photos and videos it is impossible to go out today. Horizontal wind loaded with Ice Pellets are just nasty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Wolfe_IRE

It is snowing in NYC at present. Take a look for yourself by clicking on any of the below webcams...

Coney Island
    http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/coneyisland/
    NY Harbour
    http://www.nyharborwebcam.com/
    5th Avenue
    http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/fifthave/?cam=nyc5th_str

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Bessarion

Su Campu wrote: »
    That storm is winding up nicely off the New York coast this evening.........

JFK TAF calls for gusts to 50 kts later tonight. Does anyone have any idea what "SNPL" in the metar means? I've never encountered it before and there is no reference to it in the official WMO guidelines. BLSN would be blowing snow
    JFK closed as of approx 2300 Irish time, apparently the lights on the runway are still non-functional since Sandy, and with the wind direction the aircraft can only use those runways (04L and 04R)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mayfly757

snow and ice pellets

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

how is the weather there now, and i wonder how they are coping, with this cold weather and shortage of fuel,

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

goat2 wrote: »
    how is the weather there now, and i wonder how they are coping, with this cold weather and shortage of fuel,

The weather is fine. About 5°C today but expected to get up to 11°C for Thanksgiving next week.

The snow storm was just a one day event. They even predicted that it would begin at 4pm and end at 6am the following morning.

The gas shortage is pretty much over. Google has a site where you can check supplies. The refineries that were hit are still out of action though I believe.

At the beginning of this week there were still more than 20,000 people without power but that number seems to have been reduced to just a couple of thousand now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

The only places in really bad shape are the barrier islands. Long Beach Island still has the gas pipeline to the entire island shut off (I think), and people are being only allowed to see their houses subject to restrictions.

A lad on TV the other night was saying he got to his house on LBI a few days ago and the sand (not water, sand) was three feet deep in his living room.

Between the water and the heating being off for over a week, other people were saying that mould had destroyed everything in their houses.

For the rest of the area, they have been saying that all the cars that got flooded out have led to a huge shortage of rental cars up and down the East Coast, and they are also expecting a spike in the price of used cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Special about Sandy on Discovery at 7pm this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭kwik

zerks wrote: »
    Special about Sandy on Discovery at 7pm this evening.
    Theres one on nat geo at six aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Ponster wrote: »
    The weather is fine. About 5°C today but expected to get up to 11°C for Thanksgiving next week.

The snow storm was just a one day event. They even predicted that it would begin at 4pm and end at 6am the following morning.

The gas shortage is pretty much over. Google has a site where you can check supplies. The refineries that were hit are still out of action though I believe.

At the beginning of this week there were still more than 20,000 people without power but that number seems to have been reduced to just a couple of thousand now.

it is good to hear from people who are experiencing it first hand, ye are painting the real picture of the aftermath,
    people going back to their homes and finding them with feet of sand damp and things ruined, things we have heard little of, thanks for keeping us updated.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

kwik wrote: »
    Theres one on nat geo at six aswell

Silly shift work..missed both of them. Am sure they will be repeated often.

Also good to hear accounts from ppl on the ground, the media move on far too quickly. Going to NYC next week but will only get to see JFK, Queens and Manhattan while there.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭kwik

Tenger wrote: »

Silly shift work..missed both of them. Am sure they will be repeated often.

Also good to hear accounts from ppl on the ground, the media move on far too quickly. Going to NYC next week but will only get to see JFK, Queens and Manhattan while there.
    Im sure it would be on on demand if you have that service. The one on discovery went into more detail about how the system developed and the good aul blocking scenario that made it land on the east coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Programme on BBC3 about it now where everyday people filmed it on their phones....amazing stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Advertisement