Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurricane Sandy Threatens To Slam Northeast U.S. Monday-Tuesday 29th-30th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

So i'm in Manhatten at the moment with my flight due to leave on monday at 20:40

on a scale of 1 - 10, how buggered am I?

:( 11... im afraid... all flights nearly cancelled for monday already..

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

i work in airport,all our american flights cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

So i'm in Manhatten at the moment with my flight due to leave on monday at 20:40

on a scale of 1 - 10, how buggered am I?

Lol you're not going anywhere buddy! Stay safe!!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Wicklow Weather

Reports of flooding already in NJ according to some posters on the americanwx site! They seem shocked that there is flooding being reported. Reading some of their posts many of them seem unprepared or even casual about Sandy.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/livenow?id=8857235 live from Battery Park City Pressure 951mb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,008 ✭✭✭✭bnt

In the brochure to which I linked earlier, you can get a good idea of which areas of New York are likely to be worst affected. Many of the Zone A areas are empty or lightly populated, but I can see that the whole Coney Island / Brighton Beach / Manhattan Beach peninsula is under the gun. The east shore areas of Staten Island (Arrochar - Oakwood) must be low-lying too. JFK is in Zone B, which might escape the storm surge.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Wicklow Weather

A great article just posted from Stu Ostro the Senior Meteorologist at the Weather Channel. This will go down in the annals of history!!! http://www.weather.com/newscenter/tropical/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

Iancar29 wrote: »
    :( 11... im afraid... all flights nearly cancelled for monday already..

Just as I suspected. I'm going to venture down the street to go get some grub. Sounds like pandamonium out there though. Sirens everywhere, shops mobbed with people buying up stock, this ought to be fun!

My flight was supposed to be leaving at 20:40 from jfk on monday, any idea how long this storm will take to pass? (ie, how long till flights are back up?)

I'll have my camera ready incase anything interesting happens here in the meanitime ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Does anyone have a legal stream for the weather channel?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

Just as I suspected. I'm going to venture down the street to go get some grub. Sounds like pandamonium out there though. Sirens everywhere, shops mobbed with people buying up stock, this ought to be fun!

My flight was supposed to be leaving at 20:40 from jfk on monday, any idea how long this storm will take to pass? (ie, how long till flights are back up?)

I'll have my camera ready incase anything interesting happens here in the meanitime ;)

stay safe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Great webcam from North Carolina at the moment:
    http://www.visitob.com/webcams/sea-ranch-kill-devil-hills/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Diamond Dust

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Louis Uccellini, environmental prediction chief for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, told The Associated Press that given Sandy's due east-to-west track into New Jersey, that puts the worst of the storm surge just north in New York City, Long Island and Northern New Jersey. "Yes, this is the worst case scenario," he said.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/biggest-threat-frankenstorm-too-much-water

:/
    320489_10151292379040921_1419815860_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Mech1

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Sounds like pandamonium out there though. Sirens everywhere, shops mobbed with people buying up stock, this ought to be fun!

The sirens are pretty common unfortunately :)

I popped out earlier to buy bread and milk and was surprised by the panic buying. I'm not trying to belittle the hurricane but some of those people had enough food for weeks! BTW, I had to go to 3 stores before I actually found a place that still had bread left.

Besides that all the bars are as full as ever (Giants Vs. Cowboys; $3 pints and free wings!). If you weren't watching the TV you wouldn't even know that there was bad weather on it's way.

edit : Looks like the power companies are getting prepared to cut power to lower Manhattan to protect equipment from saltwater rather than waiting to see how things go.

45 INCHES of SNOW anyone?!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Iancar29 wrote: »
    45 INCHES of SNOW anyone?!

WTF Ian?!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

M.T. did a great job of explaining some of the regional topography. Just to illustrate a point he made.....most of Long Island is very low lying. From Manhattan eastwards you have long streches of beachs with very little higher elevations. If this storm stalls near there it will be devastating.

This photo is looking east along the outer coastline of Long Island:
    5230388596_c0ab0ea8b7.jpg
    Banking over Long Island by tearbringer, on Flickr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

rc28 wrote: »
    Great webcam from North Carolina at the moment:

those houses are toast ..water is getting closer and closer.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Tenger wrote: »
    M.T. did a great job of explaining some of the regional topography. Just to illustrate a point he made.....most of Long Island is very low lying. From Manhattan eastwards you have long streches of beachs with very little higher elevations. If this storm stalls near there it will be devastating.

This photo is looking east along Long Island:

Just want to point out that's not Long Island, it's Jones's Beach on Short Beach Island, and Long island is the much much bigger landmass to the left in the background.

But yes, all these smaller islands and beaches are in serious trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

notnumber wrote: »

Maybe, I'm not sure whether it will get too much worse at that particular point since North Carolina is fairly far south from the expected point of landfall.

leahyl wrote: »
    WTF Ian?!

Sorry the shock made me forget to post the pic!

Higher areas only but yea...if theres anywhere i would be for this storm It Would to be there!!!

253068_400771573328638_1091446974_n.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Su, any news of those ships? I've been thinking about them all day. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Wolfe_IRE

Hurricane Sandy and Snowfall Probability Forecasts
    http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/wwd/winter_wx.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

notnumber wrote: »

And high tide isn't due around there for another 2 hours, so it is going to be very close.

Just noticed there are people on the balcony of the house/hotel that is almost being hit by the surf, one wave did push a little in. They should really think about moving on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

News feed and couple of live cams here :-

http://www.justin.tv/directory/news?lang=en

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Wolfe_IRE

A blizzard warning has been issued for the mountains of West Virginia, Maryland, and Virginia. Up to 2 feet of snow is possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Tenger wrote: »

This photo is looking east along Long Island:
    5230388596_c0ab0ea8b7.jpg
    Banking over Long Island by tearbringer, on Flickr

I'm not sure if this has been posted already, but this neatly summarises just how many problems this storm surge is going to cause:
    http://project.wnyc.org/storm-surge/

Atlantic City especially is in for a rough time of things.

Advertisement