Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

On the news .... 2 million people have 100 or less after all bills paid

• 22-10-2012 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

How are these figures arrived at?
    How accurate are they?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Michael Noonan + Abacus = These figures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

No room for household charge :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

You've made them appear even more ambiguous than they were on the news.

Anyway, I'm sure it's an estimation based on various sets of quantifiable data. They're not just plucked out of thin air... most of the time =p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

100 euros disposable income isn't bad, tbh. Unless they don't include food amongst the bills paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Not surprising really the lads in the Dail seem to think we all have money trees out our backs.

There also realizing there little trying to start a new taxation system to fund local services and then general taxes to run the banks is not working.

The problem is everyone is moaning about it, but no one can come up with a solution to the massive problem. What the hell are we meant to do?

The brain boxes that have came up with these so called solutions are solving one problem cutting down on spending on a massive scale, but the other side of the scale is not going up no one is spending a cent cause we don't have it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

uberalles wrote: »
    How accurate are they?

…a month? & if it says 'people', is that a couple having €200/mth :confused:

Seeing as 'or less' goes all the way down to €0, or in debt, the most interesting thing about this story would be seeing that €100 or less graphed to see the range within this group.

To be honest, I would've thought it'd be worse than that overall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,195 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

100 euros disposable income isn't bad, tbh. Unless they don't include food amongst the bills paid.
    Doesn't leave a whole lot of room for savings or emergencies though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭MrPoker

Its diabolical tbh. No wonder the domestic economy is at a standstill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

uberalles wrote: »
    How accurate are they?

It's according to credit unions.

http://www.businessandleadership.com/business/item/37811-1-85-million-irish-living/

It's better than I thought to be honest, I thought more people would be in the negative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Rasheed wrote: »
    It's according to credit unions.

http://www.businessandleadership.com/business/item/37811-1-85-million-irish-living/

It's better than I thought to be honest, I thought more people would be in the negative.

I'm highly sceptical as to the methodology used for this survey, seems like an excuse for sensationalist headlining '1.8 MILLION people..POVERTYetc' when it's based on a miniscule sample. Doesn't state of they include students, those on welfare, low paid or millionaires.. I'm calling shennanigans until I see some proper data.

http://creditunion.ie/communications/news/2012/title,7005,en.php
    About the Tracker Survey

The survey was conducted by Market Research Company iReach during the period of September 2012 using the iReach Consumer Decisions Research Panel which delivered 1,000 responses from adults in Ireland aged 18+ to 65+ and is nationally representative by Age, Region, Gender and Social Class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 TrishAlmighty

Would've expected it to be less than 100 euro TBH. If I had 25 euro left over every week it'd be great! Might actually get to save something then instead of being in debt...............those idiots have no idea whats really going on below their Ivory Towers:S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Per month? It's bad enough!

I don't think I could handle only having €25 per week to spend on luxuries, save or use for emergencies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I have less than 100 before I pay the bills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

noonan will be delighted to find out there is room for another 100 euro to be taxed, thanks league of credit unions :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

€100 is great as your disposable income if you stick everything on your credit card (including luxuries and non-essentials) and count that as a bill.

This is a very weak and inconsistent statistic which is just being reported in a sensationalist fashion without the full facts or details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Numbers like that are meaningless.

I could make 100k per year and lead an extravagant lifestyle and still only have 100 euro left per month. The things people include as 'bills' are pretty staggering.

I have friends that go out for a nice sit-down dinner 1-2 times per week and a night out at the pub and consider that part of their 'food' bill. Surely, in this day and age, you need to have the latest iPhone with fancy data package attached to it. And, what good is a 52" flat screen tele if you don't have 50+ channels? Then you've got people with fancy houses and spare bedrooms and two nice cars. Just bills....

People spin these reports to imply that 2 million are just 'barely getting by'; but it's darn near impossible to learn anything from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

While TD's claim up to five grand a MONTH (sixty grand a year) in unvouched (no proof necessary) in expenses?

Fcukin clueless morons, it'll be humorous watching them adjust to 'average industrial salaries' when Germany really puts the screws on us.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

There's only 4.5 million people in the country, assuming that half of these are outside the normal working ages (0-24 or 65+) of course 2 million people will have less than 100 a month after all bills, they'll have nothing. Also, who defines what bills are? Food bills, what if people decide to go for the Finest range of products instead of Tesco Own brand, is alcohol included in this? Clothing bills, does this mean every shops in Penny's or big name shops. These types of statistics really annoy me cause they don't mean anything without proper breakdown of the criteria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

That's a good month...

• UCDVet wrote: »
    Numbers like that are meaningless.

I could make 100k per year and lead an extravagant lifestyle and still only have 100 euro left per month. The things people include as 'bills' are pretty staggering.

I have friends that go out for a nice sit-down dinner 1-2 times per week and a night out at the pub and consider that part of their 'food' bill. Surely, in this day and age, you need to have the latest iPhone with fancy data package attached to it. And, what good is a 52" flat screen tele if you don't have 50+ channels? Then you've got people with fancy houses and spare bedrooms and two nice cars. Just bills....

People spin these reports to imply that 2 million are just 'barely getting by'; but it's darn near impossible to learn anything from it.

Exactly. These figures are meaningless when every person in the country has a different idea of what 'essential' is. If you shop at Dunnes and Fallon and Byrne, of course you'll be spending loads on food. If you count eating out as the 'food bill' instead of luxury/entertainment, of course you won't find yourself with much left.

I suspect that a lot of people just spend way more money than they need to on just about everything. I had a flatmate when I lived in Dublin who used to complain that I went abroad every few months while she could only do it once a year. What she didn't understand was that a weekend abroad for me meant a cheap Ryanair flight, sleeping on a mate's couch, doing free touristy stuff and cooking dinner in the flat, while she only stayed in 5* hotels and went shopping/drinking all day. She also used to ask how I could afford so many new clothes. Well, not difficult when you only shop in charity shops and do clothes swaps. She wouldn't touch anything second hand and only shopped in Topshop, where you can hardly find anything under 50 quid.

I make a pretty miserable salary. The only reason I have more disposable income that most of my friends is that I spend very wisely. TBH, I'm getting tired of hearing about people making twice as much as me moaning that they're barely getting by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭collegeme

€ 100 per month is nothing. Thats € 3.20 a day to spend on non essentials like a trip to the zoo or a magazine, alcohol , take away tea, mc donalds, smokes (I pity smokers these days financially) etc.
    It's very little and I live on a VERY modest salary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Indeed. The other few million are down the pub, on a monday, getting locked. Picked the son up there and the place was packed. Bullsh1t figures are bulsh1t. Unless you count beer as an essential.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭crossvilla

A few things need to be considered here. First the Credit Unions are more of a commercial organisation than you think, they're all struggling to stay open and the survey directly correlates with their target market; the lower paid who need short term loans. Secondly iReach are likely to have paid a few graduates peanuts to get the 1000 sample survey, I have first hand knowledge of there work and it's likely the quality of data is askew. Thirdly, the survey design is flawed, if you ask someone 'are you worried about paying bills' it's a loaded question with the majority of people hoping to reply yes. I completely understand a lot of people are finding it tough, including myself, but this survey is likely a publicity stunt for the Credit Unions to get some new customers taking out short term loans in time for Christmas. If this was another credit institution everyone would call shenanigans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭collegeme

crossvilla wrote: »
    A few things need to be considered here. First the Credit Unions are more of a commercial organisation than you think, they're all struggling to stay open and the survey directly correlates with their target market; the lower paid who need short term loans. Secondly iReach are likely to have paid a few graduates peanuts to get the 1000 sample survey, I have first hand knowledge of there work and it's likely the quality of data is askew. Thirdly, the survey design is flawed, if you ask someone 'are you worried about paying bills' it's a loaded question with the majority of people hoping to reply yes. I completely understand a lot of people are finding it tough, including myself, but this survey is likely a publicity stunt for the Credit Unions to get some new customers taking out short term loans in time for Christmas. If this was another credit institution everyone would call shenanigans.

I dont believe any surveys ... they have no credibility in my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Pottler wrote: »
    Indeed. The other few million are down the pub, on a monday, getting locked. Picked the son up there and the place was packed. Bullsh1t figures are bulsh1t. Unless you count beer as an essential.:D

I was in the local boozer for the first time in about....a year? Place was bananas. I couldn't believe it. I had no other choice but to get wrecklessly shítfaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Thats about Three-Fiddy a day!:D

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

pebbles21 wrote: »
    Thats about Three-Fiddy a day!:D

:pac:
    Yo-ho-ho. On another note, wtf is it with the boozer being packed on a monday???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭BrianD3

This exaggerated Béal Bocht stuff is all over the media, personally I'm sick of it. This morning, Mark Cagney on TV3, after ranting about politican expenses, was talking about the digital switchover and he made a statement along the lines of:
    "People aren't switching to digital because they can't afford it, I know because I'm one of them"

Saorview boxes do not cost big money. I find it impossible to believe that Mark Cagney can't afford to switch to digital.

Ray Darcy on the radio was tallking about pensions and described those who have 300 euro a month to put into a pension as "lucky". Now while that is a more reasonable statement that Cagney's, I would say that for those who are working, 3600 euro a year pension contribution having taken advantage of tax relief is a reasonable enough expectation and a pretty modest amount actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I'm highly sceptical as to the methodology used for this survey, seems like an excuse for sensationalist headlining '1.8 MILLION people..POVERTYetc' when it's based on a miniscule sample. Doesn't state of they include students, those on welfare, low paid or millionaires.. I'm calling shennanigans until I see some proper data.

http://creditunion.ie/communications/news/2012/title,7005,en.php

What does "18+ to 65+" even mean.

• Advertisement
Advertisement