Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does this CPU look ok?

Options
  • 22-10-2012 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

My replacement mobo has arrived, and it looks like I'm going to get some help to build my PC this week, but I was just examining my parts again (not in that way), and I noticed an imperfection on the CPU. If it has been fried, there's no point in continuing with the build, but if it looks ok, I will go on.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/szn874pju6ysjix/IMG_2235.JPG

The bit I'm concerned about is the white bit to the bottom left of the centre section. It doesn't look white in real life, but just sort of looks like that bit is scraped away.

I realise this may not be the kind of thing one can discern from a photo, but I'd appreciate any sort of advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Stick it together outside the case and test it. Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Not really, ED E, last time I tried to 'put it together' I blew the mobo, and had to get a replacement. I'm getting someone else to help me through the build, but I don't want to waste his time nor mine if the CPU is blown.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

OP, you are the most unluckiest pc builder I ever met. I am on this forum for over the year and you are the first one to be so unlucky with your build.

As mentioned above: you just need to pop that sucker in and see if it works. If not, you might have a very expensive keyring.

Edit: I see you got someone to give you a hand this time? I would still suggest build it yourself and have that persons supervision over you, while you do it. You need to pop that cherry yourself, even of you had such a clumsy start m8.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

corblimey wrote: »
    Not really, ED E, last time I tried to 'put it together' I blew the mobo, and had to get a replacement. I'm getting someone else to help me through the build, but I don't want to waste his time nor mine if the CPU is blown.

Its that or throw the cpu in the bin, only way to know. CPUs are hardy enough, not that you wanna bash them around.

I dont know enough to be sure, but I THINK a dud CPU is more likely to just not post than to blow the mobo, maybe monotype can chyme in here?

If there's something on a pad, that just stops it connecting, it shouldnt damage the mobo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Yeah, a CPU can blow up the motherboard. Just check out this infamous video:

:pac:

Nah, it's been proven a fake. I've never heard of a CPU damaging a board unless you're mashing it in the wrong way. CPUs very seldom are damaged enough not to work, and usually only from physical damage - i.e., touching the pins or broken pins. I can't quite see what the situation is in the picture - what exactly is that? Is the contact gone or is it dirt? You don't always need every pin. Some of the older CPUs didn't use a lot of their pins.

I can't find a pin map apart from this old article which suggests that it could be related to the memory controller.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/?120581

I'd agree to go for it and try it out anyway. It's not very difficult but they are delicate components all the same. Touching contacts can damage them if you're not careful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Just wanted to thank trev179 for putting my machine together. The CPU appeared to be fine, and the post screen came up first time. I'm not sure it's helped me in my self build future ambitions, but it stopped me having to put the whole lot on adverts for a pittance.

(It looked so easy when he did it :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Fair play to trev179. I would still in his place give you a slap with the back of his hand and make you to build it, while he drinks tea and throws insults at you.
    At least you sow it properly done and now next time you should be able to build it yourself.

Good luck with your new PC m8.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Monotype wrote: »
    I've never heard of a CPU damaging a board unless you're mashing it in the wrong way.
    Even then it's probably going to work, a friend of mine did that. All I had to do was carefully straighten the pins and it works fine to this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Phew. At least the story ended well. You probably learned a few things anyway and you'll still have an excellent machine. Enjoy the new build.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭trev179

Turns out it was just a bit of thermal paste on the cpu easily cleaned off :)

My teaching skills need some practice but was concentrating on not doing anything wrong (not my stuff to break lol)

But it turned out well and is a great little rig should serve him well for years to come.

• Advertisement
Advertisement