Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 RROD

Options
  • 22-10-2012 8:44pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Switched on the Xbox there and 4 red lights are flashing. I've tried a different HDMI cable and tried different AV cables but still no joy. Can anyone shed any light?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

antodeco wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Switched on the Xbox there and 4 red lights are flashing. I've tried a different HDMI cable and tried different AV cables but still no joy. Can anyone shed any light?

Thanks

If you shed one, then you're royally f*cked :pac:

On a serious note, beyond the cable switching I haven't a clue.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Jev/N wrote: »

If you shed one, then you're royally f*cked :pac:

I was actually waiting for a comment like that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

Are you sure its not 3 RROD?

Yep. All red lights around the whole power button. It's about 4 or 5 years old. One of the 20GB HDD models. Can't remember which they were!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Gweedling

Usually 4 red lights means it's a defective AV cable, but if you're still getting the error after trying different cables then it's the console that's broken and needs a repair. As it's 4 or 5 years old, it'll be out of warranty, so can cost a few quid to repair: €85+tax over the phone or €75+tax if you do it yourself on Xbox.com.

• Advertisement

Im going to try and see if its a heat sink issue. Ordered the repair kit and hoping that it will fix it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Im going to try and see if its a heat sink issue. Ordered the repair kit and hoping that it will fix it!
    Its not the heatsink, the 4 red lights is an AV issue

Meesared wrote: »
    Its not the heatsink, the 4 red lights is an AV issue

Ive checked everything about the AV. Nothing seems a miss with it. A few people mentioned online that the heat sink fix has been known to fix some 4 RROD lights. Sure no harm in trying it anyway. If its screwed, so be it. At least if I give it a go to fix it, it might work!

Ive checked everything about the AV. Nothing seems a miss with it. A few people mentioned online that the heat sink fix has been known to fix some 4 RROD lights. Sure no harm in trying it anyway. If its screwed, so be it. At least if I give it a go to fix it, it might work!

Bear in mind that if you open up the console to try fix it yourself and it doesn't work, Xbox won't repair it if you send it away, paid or not. If they see it's been tampered with they won't touch it.

Gweedling wrote: »
    Bear in mind that if you open up the console to try fix it yourself and it doesn't work, Xbox won't repair it if you send it away, paid or not. If they see it's been tampered with they won't touch it.

Well I have another "new" xbox sitting spare, thats just gathering dust. The effort of paying for it to be fixed and being sent off, really isint worth the hassle!

• Advertisement

Ah that's ok then, if you've no intention of sending it back then you can pretty much do whatever you like with it. Good luck!

Just turned it on there and now it's a 3 RROD! Better chance of my fix working now!

Advertisement