Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone experiance of ivf?

Options
  • 22-10-2012 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone who has gone down the ivf path (either successfully or otherwise) would be willing to share their experiance.

I'm particularly curious as to how stressful the experiance was and how the injections affected you.

DH & I may be starting ivf in November, we've been advised to do the long protocol so down regulating begins 21st Nov which ....by my calculations ...will mean ET somewhere between 17th - 21st December ....not sure if this is just too much pressure to have over the christmas festivities, have already told DH there will be no booze in our house for the month of December if we go ahead with it (feel a bit mean about that but hey if im off so is he lol)

am not sold on the whole ivf thing anyway but feel its our last shot at adding to our family.
    appreciate any information

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ivfer

woggie wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone who has gone down the ivf path (either successfully or otherwise) would be willing to share their experiance.

I'm particularly curious as to how stressful the experiance was and how the injections affected you.

DH & I may be starting ivf in November, we've been advised to do the long protocol so down regulating begins 21st Nov which ....by my calculations ...will mean ET somewhere between 17th - 21st December ....not sure if this is just too much pressure to have over the christmas festivities, have already told DH there will be no booze in our house for the month of December if we go ahead with it (feel a bit mean about that but hey if im off so is he lol)

am not sold on the whole ivf thing anyway but feel its our last shot at adding to our family.
    appreciate any information

Hi there,

Just wondering how your treatment is going. Are you on medictation yet?

Which clinic are you with?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭woggie

Hi there - apologies, only seeing your post now, I'm with GFU, starting down regulation tomorrow (nafarelin) and have scan on dec 3rd to see how it's going. Not sure what they expect to see on the 3rd but apparently if all is ok we start on the stimming (gonal-f) otherwise we'll have to cancel treatment as our egg collection/transfer dates would be during the Christmas holidays when the clinic will be closed.

How about yourself are you currently ivf-ing or have you past experiance?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Hi
    long protocol was about 63 days from start to finish when i did it.

For me it was a blood test before starting the gonal f to determine E2 levels and ultrasound to check out lining. once you start gonal f they usually do a scan after a week and then about 3 days later. After that first scan on injection, they may change dosage to get optimum egg growth. Try and stay hydrated at this time. I overstimmed and was unwell, they increased my dose. It was a horrible experience between the nausea, vomiting and awful bloating before and after egg pick up. The 2 week wait can be difficult because the progesterone gives you many side effects of pregnancy so you don't know if you are or aren't.
    I was a bad candidate for long protocol, it didn't suit me at all.
    I've since done a couple of anatgonist and have fared far better but have yet to find success.

This can be a very harrowing process so try and do some yoga, or find other ways to tune out like acupuncture, long walk, movie
    I wish you the very best of luck

thanks for sharing Cooperspale - im sorry to hear you treatments were unsuccessful it must be very stressful. I've been on gonal-F before for iui so am awear of the side affects of that (although the prescription was for much less than what they are proposing for ivf). I think it's the stress levels im more worried about - i dont want to be a killjoy for the whole family over christmas :( ...then again, its only for a few weeks and will be worth it if it is successful.
    thanks again for sharing your story it does help to know what may be ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ivfer

Hi Woggie and Cooperspale,

Hope your treatment is going well Woggie, you should be well into the middle of it by now, how is it going for you.

Sorry to hear Cooperspale that yours has not given positive results just yet.

For me I tried twice, my first cycle was cancelled due to early ovulation, ( so I was told), My 2nd cycle was a blast, we got 6 embryos, all fertilsed and by day 5 we had 3 to freeze. I had 2 transfered and got to 7 weeks on this one.

It is a pretty tough experience, not while your in the middle of it but when you look back. Your so excited during treatment you don't really notice how hard it is until after. It can be hard on your body but if you get positive outcome, what the hell!

My advise is to stay calm, definitely do the acupunture and yes yoga is meant to be very good. Most important it to stick with a good diet as you will bloat, drink plenty of water, I drank Evian or Willow and take your vitamins. Early nights plenty of rest and most important stay positive.

I wish you the very best of luck, we will be dying to hear how it goes for you.

• Advertisement

Thanks Ivfer - so sorry to hear about your loss. Getting to 7 weeks and then loosing the baby must have been extremly tough. Do you think you'll go again?
    i had my bloods and ultrasound done today, all is good so i started my stimming this evening (300iui of gonal-F) am drinking plenty of water too so hopefully that will help. I've a scan booked for saturday - the nurse reckons i'll be doing egg collection around 14th so all happening much sooner than we originally thought all going well.
    I've purchased a Zita West meditation cd for ivf pre & post embryo transfer and i'm hoping that together with the accupuncture it will help me chill ....a bit... lol

thanks for the support ladies

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Hi all, we were extremely thrilled to get pregnant on our 5th attempt of IVF, she is now 11...
    What I found brill was Reflexology....and visualisation.....visualising yourself pregnant, and visualising yourself
    breastfeeding.....it mite sound like gobblegook, but I was told it was a way of telling your brain that this is what u wanted....jez u.d do nething that mite help....best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭trg

woggie wrote: »
    I've a scan booked for saturday - the nurse reckons i'll be doing egg collection around 14th so all happening much sooner than we originally thought all going well.
    I've purchased a Zita West meditation cd for ivf pre & post embryo transfer and i'm hoping that together with the accupuncture it will help me chill ....a bit... lol

thanks for the support ladies

Hi woggie, how did you go? We had 9 @ day 5, froze 2 but none made it to freeze which we found out 2 days later, that's really rocked us as it was going so well, can't help thinking negative now. Will know about the 2 in a fortnight.

Advertisement