Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who is the biggest tax payer in Ireland ?

• 22-10-2012 9:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭

Do you know who is the biggest tax payer in Ireland ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Company or individual?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Ben Dunne. You did mean "waist measurement" didn't you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

It varies, but I gather it's Intel more often than not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

forex wrote: »
    Vat payers. Ten billion plus equal to income tax.
    All of us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

Biggest tax payer as a percentage of income or in Monetary terms?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

As a demographic I am going to say: The small business owner.

(local authority rates / employment taxes / levies / personal income tax.... and thats before they pay vat on their personal purchases and pay all the taxes and levies any other citizen suffers).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

(local authority rates / employment taxes / levies / personal income tax.... and thats before they pay vat on their personal purchases and pay all the taxes and levies any other citizen suffers).

I doubt this very much.

Phone and broadband paid for by business, PAYE taxpayers have to pay it all.

Commercial van-type car owned by business, used instead of car.

There are a lot of "expenses" that come out of PAYE after-tax income that a small business owner can account for before tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,817 ✭✭✭creedp

Godge wrote: »
    I doubt this very much.

There are a lot of "expenses" that come out of PAYE after-tax income that a small business owner can account for before tax.

I remember a buddy of mine, a self-employed engineer, who use to hoover up receipts in restaurants because they might come in handy for his tax returns - entertaining clients!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭Itchianus

creedp wrote: »

I remember a buddy of mine, a self-employed engineer, who use to hoover up receipts in restaurants because they might come in handy for his tax returns - entertaining clients!

Strange, since that's not tax deductible...

Itchianus wrote: »
    Strange, since that's not tax deductible...

Its obviously news to him!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭turbobaby

and corporate tax, and capital gains tax on dividends, and when they die their kids have to pay the inheritance tax on what he/she has left them.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Its obviously news to him!
    Depends on the context, if it can be considered business travel it can certainly be considered a deductable expense (under UK tax law at least).

Then again, I've used the same excuse to get friends to let me pick up a bill before ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭a clanger

O'leary ...was the biggest individual tax payer for a few years running when he was selling shares and paying capital gains ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Godge wrote: »
    I doubt this very much.

Is that why you insist on another thread that the PS workers are paid so much more than the private sector and defend the allowances scandal?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Japer

a clanger wrote: »
    O'leary ...was the biggest individual tax payer for a few years running when he was selling shares and paying capital gains ...
    thats right, I think. Ryanair is also I think Irelands most successful business, and one of the few Irish brand name companies known widely outside Ireland.( apart from Guinness, which is generations old / well established ).
    Fair play to O'Leary for staying in Ireland and running his company - Europes largest airline - from here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Is that why you insist on another thread that the PS workers are paid so much more than the private sector and defend the allowances scandal?

What is the allowances scandal?

I only try to look at facts and figures and test what they mean. If that leads to a conclusion that some public servants are not overpaid, then I am not afraid to say so just because that goes against the mob mentality on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

n97 mini wrote: »
    It varies, but I gather it's Intel more often than not.

So what are they avoiding by Intel Ireland being registered as a business in the Caymen Islands?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭andrew241983

Dob74 wrote: »
    Vat payers. Ten billion plus equal to income tax.
    All of us

+1

Sleepy wrote: »
    Depends on the context, if it can be considered business travel it can certainly be considered a deductable expense (under UK tax law at least).

Then again, I've used the same excuse to get friends to let me pick up a bill before ;)

The Irish position is very clear: http://www.revenue.ie/en/about/foi/s16/income-tax-capital-gains-tax-corporation-tax/part-36/36-00-04.pdf?download=true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Gotham

Our current commercial tax rates are 12%, but our effective tax rate is 6%.
    The government are only collecting half of it because a lot of companies (especially the large ones) are getting a form of tax credit for various policies (co2 emissions etc.) Some companies effectively pay 0% tax because of this, like Ryan Air.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

a clanger wrote: »

but even he says hes underpaid!

outside of the state, who is the biggest employer? otherwise, id be tempted to say google because of how much of their european revenue comes through dublin for tax purposes?

So is it the case that if an employer in Ireland, be they self-employed or incorporated, pays travel/subsistence allowances to their employees they are not allowed to claim these expenses against tax? I must say if that is the case I will have a lot more compassion for employers from now on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭forex

bbsrs wrote: »
    Biggest tax payer as a percentage of income or in Monetary terms?

Monetary terms, individual or company. Its it possible to find what amount of taxes one or another company pays, but what company is the biggest tax payer , I could not find such information ...
    Also "Shall" sits on 520blns worth gas and is it out of scope ?

So is it the case that if an employer in Ireland, be they self-employed or incorporated, pays travel/subsistence allowances to their employees they are not allowed to claim these expenses against tax? I must say if that is the case I will have a lot more compassion for employers from now on!

Employers can pay travel/subsistence allowances at up to the civil service rates to employees where they require them to travel. In such a case what the employee does with their €108 a night is none of the employer's business. if they choose to buy dinner or drinks for friends that's up to them, but the money paid by the employer to the employee tax free is a legitimate expense of the businessprovided the trip is a business trip.

This is in contrast to a self employed person having a business lunch with a client and picking up the tab, or sending an employee to such a lunch. The cost of getting to/from the meeting may be a business expense, but the cost of the meal for the clients is not an allowable expense. This is a stricter rule than applies in the uk afaik.

Employers can pay travel/subsistence allowances at up to the civil service rates to employees where they require them to travel. In such a case what the employee does with their €108 a night is none of the employer's business. if they choose to buy dinner or drinks for friends that's up to them, but the money paid by the employer to the employee tax free is a legitimate expense of the businessprovided the trip is a business trip.

This is in contrast to a self employed person having a business lunch with a client and picking up the tab, or sending an employee to such a lunch. The cost of getting to/from the meeting may be a business expense, but the cost of the meal for the clients is not an allowable expense. This is a stricter rule than applies in the uk afaik.

Thanks for the clarification

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

gerryo777 wrote: »

MOD NOTE:

Please don't drag arguments from other threads into new threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭thomasj

forex wrote: »

Ill hazard a guess they're not Irish ;)

Advertisement