Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superformance; not that super performance other than speed

Options
  • 22-10-2012 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Finally tried these out on the range on Sunday in the Tikka Tactical in .223

Firstly, they really are tight to chamber it I had to be quite firm with the bolt. Obviously this is due to Hornady getting the max out of the case.

Groups? Well we shot off a solid platform after zeroing and also used a rear bag. Two of us shot them, one was a far better shot than me (he knows who he is :) ) so it gave a better idea of performance.

I was using a 1:8 twist barrel and I dont think it was perfect for them to get optimum performance. Groups where shots were fired in quick succession seemed to be tighter than those with more time between shots.

The groups were ok, not too tight and giving slight strings. Certainly up to taking a fox cleanly which is why I have them.

Just to make sure there wasnt an issue at play other than the ammo, we put some 75gr BTHP through it, also Hornady and were back to clover leafs and tighter immediately.

After this I took another box of superformance out to try and see if there was a difference, straight back to strings again.

Maybe the hot load and 53gr weight were not being stabilized by the 1:8 and this is all I could think of.

Groups were out to a little over an inch at times. The 75gr giving well less than half that consistently.

I have heard the same results in .243 and .308

They are not a match round of course so I didnt expect them to perform as well as the BTHP.

They are sold as a Varminting round and I am using them for that so they will be perfectly good.

I have 90 of them left and will use them but go back to 55gr V max

But I would be interested to hear of any other experiences with them in your configuration.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Tommy87

I tried them in .308. 1;10 twist. Had the Rest and rear bag. 165grain sst. I thought they were poor enough. Nearly 2 inch groups at 100 yrds. What range do you go to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

Tommy87 wrote: »
    I tried them in .308. 1;10 twist. Had the Rest and rear bag. 165grain sst. I thought they were poor enough. Nearly 2 inch groups at 100 yrds. What range do you go to?

Similar results here Tommy with over an inch at 100. We were at Midlands, I havent been there much but that might change.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Tommy87

I'd love to go to midlands sometime, looks like a serious setup! Its way too far for me. The closest range to me is castlemaine, about 30 mins away, I keep meaning to go but I keep putting it off. Especially now the seasons are opening, I find it hard to get a couple of hours to head there. Have you ever been there??

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭badshot

i tried the 58 grain superformance
    in 243 couldn't get them to group
    wortha damn. it was in a steyr ssg
    have now gone back to the norma 75 grain

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭J. Ramone

I use 95 grain SST .243 in my Ruger M77 II. I get sub inch groups and they perform very well in the field. A friend tried the same in a Tikka 595 and couldn't get them to group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Tried them in my .308 and got groups about four times the size as I was getting with HPS.

Tommy87 wrote: »
    I'd love to go to midlands sometime, looks like a serious setup! Its way too far for me. The closest range to me is castlemaine, about 30 mins away, I keep meaning to go but I keep putting it off. Especially now the seasons are opening, I find it hard to get a couple of hours to head there. Have you ever been there??

Its a good 2 hours for me too Tommy so I dont go that often, had a great day there though.

Ive shot at Castlemaine a few times too, its grand. I think 300 yards is the max range there but thats plenty for what I shoot anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Think I'm just going to stick to the 55gr ordinary vmax when my tikka comes through..

hedzball wrote: »
    Think I'm just going to stick to the 55gr ordinary vmax when my tikka comes through..

Yeah, they seem to be inconsistent and people all seem to have 'flyers' at some stage. I have 90 to use so I will see how they are on foxes.

Advertisement