Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great tip from Mary Berry on softening butter

Options
  • 22-10-2012 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

I saw the British Bake-off masterclass.

Mary Berrys tip of the night was how to soften butter for creaming.

She cuts the hard butter into squares and puts into tepid water for 10 minutes. After draining, the butter was perfect for creaming with sugar.

I never remember to take the butter out of the fridge. Cant wait to try this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

You can also grate it and its ready straight away. I hate grating though.

Can't believe I missed the Masterclass! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

5-10 seconds in the microwave on a low setting suits me better than 10 minutes waiting for it. I don't keep it in the fridge anyway though so in Spring/Summer it's always ready to use, now it needs the few seconds in the microwave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Yeh I do the microwave as well, easy for it to over melt though have had a few mishaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Yeh I do the microwave as well, easy for it to over melt though have had a few mishaps.

I usually use the microwave but have also over melted it a few times.

Keen to try this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I tried this the other day, it was perfect! Just did it at the beginning so by the time I had weighed my flour and sugar it was ready

• Advertisement
Advertisement