Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buxus Pyramid/ balls shrubs

Options
  • 22-10-2012 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi all, I hope the gardening is going well. Just a quick question for all ye garden enthusiasts. The leaves on my Buxus Pyramid/ balls shrubswhich I planted in the summer have recently started to go a sort of autumnly brown colour. Particularly the leaves on the outside of the shrub. Is the shrub dying? Have I reason for concern?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,462 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If your topiary balls are Buxus then, no, they should not be turning brown. It is just possible that the outer tips of the leaves have been wind burned, or even, depending on where you are, frost burned - had you just trimmed them? Make sure they are watered but other than that you can only wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Do you have a dog? if so is it peeing on the plants.

It's more than likely box blight though. very rampant this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭rebelden

No I haven’t a dog, but like you are suggesting more then likely box blight. Have to wait and see I suppose and hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭The Garden Shop

No need for concern. It is common with buxus sempervirens (Box hedging) to turn a reddish colour in autumn.
    Just like deciduous trees and shrubs, their leaves turn red/yellow in autumn because they have less need for chlorophyll (green pigment) which is needed to absorb sun light.

Of course your box balls should not loose there leaves

Advertisement