Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I am at a bit of a loss in regards to study!

• 22-10-2012 10:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

As you probably already know from a few threads I started previously on the leaving cert forum here on boards , I am a student who has dyslexia and dyspraxia who is currently in 6th year. I am able to use my laptop to take down notes in class, do in homework and use it in tests also. Its a great help to me and it really does make the world off difference.

I get by OK in the day to day classes. While I never strain myself to do more than what the teachers require, I always have the work done for them and never really had an issue with never doing homework/discipline (except for skipping P.E. Class :o)

My major downfall is studying. Even though we have had a few lectures on the topic this year, I just can't find the right method that works for me. Even when I get down to do note taking, I can't really feel the information being "absorbed" in to my head, if you get me.

I recently got a assessment done for the leaving cert reasonable accommodations (which cost a absolute fortune :mad:) and in the report it states that I am more of a "verbal" learner, I only learn stuff by repetition and the best way to study is just calling stuff out to myself. I really don't know how to implement a study system around this (and this is not ideal since I do after school study/study in a library)

I really feel that I have no chance in hell of getting into any college course I want to do and I feel extremely unmotivated/stressed out because of this and I have no idea what to do :mad: :(

Do any of you guys have advice for me? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

N64 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

As you probably already know from a few threads I started previously on the leaving cert forum here on boards , I am a student who has dyslexia and dyspraxia who is currently in 6th year. I am able to use my laptop to take down notes in class, do in homework and use it in tests also. Its a great help to me and it really does make the world off difference.

I get by OK in the day to day classes. While I never strain myself to do more than what the teachers require, I always have the work done for them and never really had an issue with never doing homework/discipline (except for skipping P.E. Class :o)

My major downfall is studying. Even though we have had a few lectures on the topic this year, I just can't find the right method that works for me. Even when I get down to do note taking, I can't really feel the information being "absorbed" in to my head, if you get me.

I recently got a assessment done for the leaving cert reasonable accommodations (which cost a absolute fortune :mad:) and in the report it states that I am more of a "verbal" learner, I only learn stuff by repetition and the best way to study is just calling stuff out to myself. I really don't know how to implement a study system around this (and this is not ideal since I do after school study/study in a library)

I really feel that I have no chance in hell of getting into any college course I want to do and I feel extremely unmotivated/stressed out because of this and I have no idea what to do :mad: :(

Do any of you guys have advice for me? Thanks
    You could try recording your notes and putting them on your iPod/MP3 player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

What the above poster said is one way of doing it. Try to get a room for yourself after school. That way you can study out loud to yourself and it will be very beneficial to yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Here is an app that can help you convert your text from your computer into a MP3 file.

http://www.naturalreaders.com/

Advertisement