Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating my Leaving Cert

• 22-10-2012 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I'm repeating my Leaving Cert this year and I have decided to move up to higher level irish from ordinary, I was just wondering was this a wise move. I've been told it's a tough subject and that it's very time consuming. I know i'll have to catch up but I also need as many points as possible. Any suggestions on whether i should continue with the higher level?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭aarond280

well it depends really, if you are good at the subject and how you did last year. I didn't do Higher Irish.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

duffyheap wrote: »
    I'm repeating my Leaving Cert this year and I have decided to move up to higher level irish from ordinary, I was just wondering was this a wise move. I've been told it's a tough subject and that it's very time consuming. I know i'll have to catch up but I also need as many points as possible. Any suggestions on whether i should continue with the higher level?

No harm giving it a go. The higher level syllabus contains everything you did at ordinary level plus extra stories and poems. You have a fair chunk of it done considering you did ordinary last year.

If needs be you can drop down later in the year without having sacrificed a good ordinary level grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 duffyheap

I got a B in the ordinary level and I've always loved irish so hopefully I will know in the next few days :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

I did ordinary Irish for JC and got an A in it, and moved up to higher level around half way through 5th year. Was finding ordinary level a little easy and thought i'd be able for higher level, even though I only really got around 70% in OL tests.. Finding Higher level grand though, in 6th year now and hoping to get a B in it for the leaving, Just put in a lot of work and study and you'll do well. Really helps if you like the subject, as studying it won't be so much of a hassle then. Move up to higher level as soon as possible if you plan, I left it really late (half way through 5th year) and I missed the novel (An Triail) and some grammar sections.. Not even going to read An Triail, just going to go by revision notes we get from the teacher. :)
    Overall, HL Irish is really doable if you find ordinary level a tad easy. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

With the new course, the oral is worth 40%. The oral is common level. Makes HL quite a bit easier. Plus if the course hasn't changed again, you have 2 hours to write an essay. HL is quite doable with the new course I think.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

OP, what level did you do for the Junior and what grade did you get? How is your oral Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 duffyheap

I got a B in my leaving cert in ordinary level and i had no difficulty with it really. The oral seemed to be one of the better parts of the exam for me. I've moved up to higher but I have missed a lot so i am going to stick with it until my mocks and i will see then how i get on whether I will be able for the higher paper. I will probably have to get grinds on my grammar though as I haven't really learned about where the extra letters go etc..
    Thank you for all of your opinions though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

duffyheap wrote: »
    Two people in my class (mixed ability) moved up from ordinary level. To be quite honest, I think it may not be a wise move if you do not have a good enough level of both spoken and written Irish. The two in my class can barely say 'Bhí mé' or 'tá mé' so unless you got a high enough mark last time I wouldn't advise it. You could use the time you would use for Irish to get a D or C to get higher marks in other subjects. You could always try it for a few weeks and see how it goes but just know you will have to work hard at it. Good luck!
    Edit: I hadn't read all the posts but it seems like you will manage it. If it's too much you can always drop down.

Advertisement