Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part-time study distance ed

Options
  • 22-10-2012 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all!!! I'm just setting up this thread because i'm a man looking for advice before i go and make any hasty decisions. Basically, i'm 29, engaged, have the big mortgage, have 2 kids, 16 months and a newborn, so kept busy etc....

The thing is, before the kids came i was close to going back to college as a mature student but obviously not financially viable right now. I've worked in sales for the last 8 years, and as 1 can imagine things are hairy enough in retail and FMCG market at the moment. The particular company i work for are making noise about cut backs (which mean's jobs) so i want people's opinion on part-time courses, colleges etc...

I want to completely leave the retail side of things anyway but i want to keep my job (for as long as I can) to help fund my education. My original qualification is Electrical Engineering but also have no appetite for this career. I just want to know what do people recommend, obviously i'm looking to go down the finance or computing line so if any body has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated. Also, i would like people in the same or similiar situation to myself, who may have gone on and done a part-time or distance learning Degree to share their experiences and prehaps guide me in the right direction.

Advertisement